What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

whall15

Coach
If they paid the big money to advertise on TV at that time then they deserved to be shown.

Maybe Rugby League should advertise during other sports major events. Not sure if Union have any, but if its works for onion it could work for league.

There is absolutely no way AFL would let the NRL advertise during the AFL Grand Final.

A-League side Melbourne Victory were going to pay a heap to get an ad in the AFL Grand Final match program but AFL told them no, the seasons hardly even compete which each other.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
So you would trust a News Limited controlled organisation to get the highest price for TV rights both News Limited Foxtel and other non-News interests?

No-one in rugby league is worth trusting - that's why it's best to set the game up to control its own rights and negotiate its own deals.

If News Limited have only got 5 years exclusivity left, then we just have to cop it - for only 5 years. But why would anyone do a deal thta contonues news Limited's exclusivity for another 20 years or more. That's as dumb as Arko giving the rights to KPacker for nothing.

Canard

Immortal
Its first and last bid rights, that not "exclusivity".

So if Channel 7 bids 1.5 Billion, they have to match it or they don't get it.

I don't see the issue really.

Canard

Immortal
If they paid the big money to advertise on TV at that time then they deserved to be shown.

Maybe Rugby League should advertise during other sports major events. Not sure if Union have any, but if its works for onion it could work for league.

Agreed.

And it wasn't really ARU, wasn't it Channel Nine flogging there coverage of the tournament?

Its no different to an add for the Block during the game.

On Tuesday night they played some crap Legends AFL game in Melbourne, and there was a numerous Origin ads during the breaks. (well for the 5mins that I watched it there was)

Brutus

Referee

So why are News Ltd demanding it then if it means nothing?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Agreed.

And it wasn't really ARU, wasn't it Channel Nine flogging there coverage of the tournament?

On Tuesday night they played some crap Legends AFL game in Melbourne, and there was a numerous Origin ads during the breaks. (well for the 5mins that I watched it there was)

9 never promote the NRL season comig up in the cricket. NEVER

applesauce

Bench

F&L also allows 9/Fox to see all the other bidders layout of money, contra, scheduling, timeslots, expansion, what they are willing to pay for A or for B etc.

The other bodies have no idea what 9/Fox have offered and cannot find out, they know that if they put a bid in the biggest media company in the world only have to match it.

The NRL/IC have no choice in taking an alternative network to increase bargaining power over NEWS if NEWS match the offer of a competitor.

Canard

Immortal
They flogged the Aus V England game during the Cricket last year, but that might have just been Melbourne.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
So why are News Ltd demanding it then if it means nothing?

Precisely.
Rugby league fans have got to stop being so dumb - and swallowing everything about News Limited that is printed in News Limited's paper or sputed by News limited lackeys like David Gallop.

Does anyone honestly believe that News Limited and Gallop are now emotional, rusted on supporters of this geat game - or just trying to squeeze as much cash out of it before people cotton on.

Do you honestly swallow this shit that News Limited want a structure that's best for the game?

Raiderdave

First Grade
Agreed.

of course its different :?:roll:

union is a competitor ... we don't compete against the Block.
9 have no right to promote a rival sport even if they are covering it .. using the coat tales of one of our games biggest events

its pathetic

& as for some adds for origin during a mickey mouse floggball game
9 don't have the AFL rights
& if they did ... the AFL would not have allowed this
neither should we ....:evil:

Canard

Immortal
The other bodies have no idea what 9/Fox have offered and cannot find out, they know that if they put a bid in the biggest media company in the world only have to match it.

The NRL/IC have no choice in taking an alternative network to increase bargaining power over NEWS if NEWS match the offer of a competitor.

F&L isn't nothing of course

But as crap as that is for the other competitors is it a problem for Rugby League?

It means we get the highest amount of money possible regardless, so I don't have an issue with it.

Canard

Immortal
of course its different :?:roll:
union is a competitor ... we don't compete against the Block.
9 have no right to promote a rival sport even if they are covering it .. using the coat tales of one of our games biggest events

I tend to agree with some of your sentiments, but NO RIGHT to advertise? How do you figure?

NRL would have NO SAY on any of the other advertising be it XXXX or Crazy Johns?

Ive not watched enough AFL on Free to Air to guage what they advertise but as long as a TV company is paying the game $$$ to telecast they can advertise Mustard Gas for all I care.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Did it all for me. That's it. It will be an absolute criminal act if these guys are given the rights to the next tv deal.

Not only did they interview a brain-washed moron who spat in the face of the game, BUT, he goes and defects to a rival code in a foreign country. On top of that, when 9 were going to interview him, they did so with warm and open arms. Sterlo said "Andrew Voss is on the sidelines with Andrew Johns and a very special guest."

SBW is special alright, I couldn't have put it any better myself. What the hell runs through the minds of those at 9 is beyond me.

Channel 10 NEEDS to get the rights for the next deal. At least we'll be able to watch rugby league in HD again...

LESStar58

Referee
Did it all for me. That's it. It will be an absolute criminal act if these guys are given the rights to the next tv deal.

Not only did they interview a brain-washed moron who spat in the face of the game, BUT, he goes and defects to a rival code in a foreign country. On top of that, when 9 were going to interview him, they did so with warm and open arms. Sterlo said "Andrew Voss is on the sidelines with Andrew Johns and a very special guest."

SBW is special alright, I couldn't have put it any better myself. What the hell runs through the minds of those at 9 is beyond me.

Channel 10 NEEDS to get the rights for the next deal. At least we'll be able to watch rugby league in HD again...

I can kind of understand WHY they would get him on as they have the rights to the RWC and want to promote it but you are right... he had no place on this night of nights. Scumbag. Should never be allowed near the NRL again.

Quidgybo

Bench
I tend to agree with some of your sentiments, but NO RIGHT to advertise? How do you figure?

NRL would have NO SAY on any of the other advertising be it XXXX or Crazy Johns?

Ive not watched enough AFL on Free to Air to guage what they advertise but as long as a TV company is paying the game $$$ to telecast they can advertise Mustard Gas for all I care.
This is one of the areas where we need to take advantage of the value of our rights - editorial control of how our game is presented. We grant the TV network the right to telecast the game, but it remains our product, our game and our official match video. Just like the copyright notice says at the end of games on Fox - copyright of the National Rugby League Partnership. We'll decide what can and can not been shown, who can commentate and what they can say.

Let serial critics like Phil Gould say whatever they like in their newspaper column or on the Sunday Roast, it's a free country. But on telecasts of our game, we demand the game be shown in the best possible light. And that means not spending exorbitant time talking down the game, harping on about individual refereeing calls, promoting competitors or anything else that damages the game or its image. These are our official match videos, we'll decide how the game can be presented.

Leigh

nrlnrl

First Grade
I understand your point, but every other network would've done the same if they had the rights to the RWC - smart cross promotion with a big audience who knew SBW ( despite what they think of him ) I know it's different because it's viewed as a "rival code", but this stuff is nothing compared to what they'll be smothering people with for the 2012 Olympics. ( across their channels, including next year's NRL coverage )

Last edited:

Ulysseus

Bench
Agree with BullDog Force
I also must say I was far from f**king impressed with who they had decided the label a very special guest.......

Just because Nein has the Ra Ra world cup boradcasting rights is NO EXCUSE to put that f**king traitor on our f**king screens and act like nothing ever happened.

$BW can go and get f**ked, and the brain dead f**king genius that thought that was in any way a good idea can hand in their f**king TAFE "diploma" in marketing and f**k right off.

Out of all the true legends of the game, they had to interview an erratic never was with a dicky shoulder who walked out on the game and gave us an epilogue about bus drivers that has only been outdone by another f**kwit talking about how planes don't fly in the rain.
f**k off Nein.

Last edited:

Ulysseus

Bench
I understand your point, but every other network would've done the same if they had the rights to the RWC - smart cross promotion with a big audience. ( that and the piece with George Gregan after fulltime )

Yep, it worked all right.
Pretty much made sure I hope and pray that someone else gets the TV rights and has also motivated me to not watch one solitary minute of the ra ra wc.

How many other members of the audience thought "What the f**k is this shit?" when they seen $BW?

gronkathon

First Grade
I am sick of that f**king stain Voss talking about every sport possible on a RL show.

He works on WWOS some weekends. Do it there and just piss off from our game.

He obviously is so desperate to tow the company line it doesn't matter to this Souffs supporting scumbag that everyone knows he must suck Eddie McGuires dick for favour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts