What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Yep, it worked all right.
Pretty much made sure I hope and pray that someone else gets the TV rights and has also motivated me to not watch one solitary minute of the ra ra wc.

How many other members of the audience thought "What the f**k is this shit?" when they seen $BW?

and then he was wearing QLD crap after previously stating he wanted to play for NSW http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/sonny-bill-sparks-blue-murder/story-e6frep9x-1111115855584

9 suck and he's a tool

Raiderdave

First Grade
I tend to agree with some of your sentiments, but NO RIGHT to advertise? How do you figure?

NRL would have NO SAY on any of the other advertising be it XXXX or Crazy Johns?

Ive not watched enough AFL on Free to Air to guage what they advertise but as long as a TV company is paying the game $$$ to telecast they can advertise Mustard Gas for all I care.

No Right to advertise a rival sport using our sport

Like I said ... do you think the AFL would allow this ?

No
we need to be very clear in our next TV rights deal , adds for rivals sports cannot occur during coverage of our code
they can promote the yawnion world cup any other time
but not then:?

Goddo

Bench
Well, SOO III outrated last years AFL Grand Final:

http://www.throng.com.au/state-origi...origin-decider
3,765,000 (5 City Metro plus Regional) watched the blistering XXXX Queensland Maroons outclass the New South Wales VB Blues in game three of the 2011 Harvey Norman State of Origin Series with a 34-24 win."

We should beat the 2010 AFL Grand Final again if the Storm make it to the Final. Depends on who pays who in NRL/AFL GFs, but we may beat them twice this year, with SOO III and the NRL GF.

Last edited:

Silent Knight

First Grade
One of my mates at our Origin party last night is a Bulldogs fan. Normally he's a friendly, considerate and well mannered guy...

You should've heard the torrent of abuse he threw at the TV when Money Bill Williams came on. It would have made Ozzie Osbourne turn pale.

The sooner Nein is gone the better.

gUt

Coach

No
we need to be very clear in our next TV rights deal , adds for rivals sports cannot occur during coverage of our code

I agree but you can hope/assume that there will be plenty of ads for League matches on channel 9 during the RUWC broadcasts.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anybody know the capital city breakdown ratings? SOO will be worth a mint as a stand alone package. One thing i would like to see is to use the value of it to give better covg to Int RL. ie Buy SOO and you must show Test matches with the due respect they deserve.

Randy_Marsh

Juniors
I hope teh issue ov teh tv rights will be resolvd soon cuz i doan finkz peeps wants 2 c teh supr league war all ovar again.

Canard

Immortal
This is one of the areas where we need to take advantage of the value of our rights - editorial control of how our game is presented. We grant the TV network the right to telecast the game, but it remains our product, our game and our official match video. Just like the copyright notice says at the end of games on Fox - copyright of the National Rugby League Partnership. We'll decide what can and can not been shown, who can commentate and what they can say.

Let serial critics like Phil Gould say whatever they like in their newspaper column or on the Sunday Roast, it's a free country. But on telecasts of our game, we demand the game be shown in the best possible light. And that means not spending exorbitant time talking down the game, harping on about individual refereeing calls, promoting competitors or anything else that damages the game or its image. These are our official match videos, we'll decide how the game can be presented.

Leigh

I think if the NRL decided that it needed such editoral control then we would have to take the hit moneywise as the TV companies would not be able to get maximum $$$.

Is it worth it?

Noa

First Grade
While were on 9's calls whats up with Rabs always mentioning boundry & marks. f**k that shit off you senile old merkin.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I think if the NRL decided that it needed such editoral control then we would have to take the hit moneywise as the TV companies would not be able to get maximum $$$.

Is it worth it?

Seems to me to be another argument for large sporting bodies to package and sell the games direct to viewers, utilising new technologies and outsourcing of production.

There'd never be any chance of cross promotion if that was the case.

seanoff

Juniors

No

Fox advertise all sorts of programming during their AFL telecasts including NRL. FMD

seanoff

Juniors
This is one of the areas where we need to take advantage of the value of our rights - editorial control of how our game is presented. We grant the TV network the right to telecast the game, but it remains our product, our game and our official match video. Just like the copyright notice says at the end of games on Fox - copyright of the National Rugby League Partnership. We'll decide what can and can not been shown, who can commentate and what they can say.

Let serial critics like Phil Gould say whatever they like in their newspaper column or on the Sunday Roast, it's a free country. But on telecasts of our game, we demand the game be shown in the best possible light. And that means not spending exorbitant time talking down the game, harping on about individual refereeing calls, promoting competitors or anything else that damages the game or its image. These are our official match videos, we'll decide how the game can be presented.

Leigh

try that, and you'll get about 1/10 of SFA.

Edwahu

Bench
You can't do much about the commentary. You can buy plenty of favourable coverage in the media though.

docbrown

Coach
Anybody know the capital city breakdown ratings? SOO will be worth a mint as a stand alone package. One thing i would like to see is to use the value of it to give better covg to Int RL. ie Buy SOO and you must show Test matches with the due respect they deserve.

Direct TV advertising? About $80 million over 5 years. Including flow on benefits? About $100 million. Including other test matches & rep games over a 5 year package? About $150 million all up.

Cranky

Juniors
Channel 9 have been advertising Storm matches heavily during the AFL footy show this year when they've shown them live.

Status
Not open for further replies.