What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I hope teh issue ov teh tv rights will be resolvd soon cuz i doan finkz peeps wants 2 c teh supr league war all ovar again.

Apparently this is SBS submitting their bid for rugby league in the new rights deal ( subtitles available upon request )

Last edited:

whall15

Coach
Live Friday Night Rugby League on SBS from 7:30pm

Join expert commentary team David Basheer and Craig Foster for SBS' coverage of the National Rugby League. The coverage will feature analysis from host Les Murray joined by David Zdrilic, Francis Awaritefe and Kimon Taliadoros with breaking news from Mariana Rudan.

Would certainly be interesting but as much as I love SBS' coverage of football it wouldn't really fit.

Yes I do know the above post was sarcastic.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth got a peak of 108,000 which is pretty good considering zero promotion on Ch9 and WC Eagles games only get around 170k. 10.30pm 29K, 8.30pm 108K, maybe if we got it at 7.30 and they promoted it it would rate even better!

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Anyone else here ch9 news tonight state that the SOO game had 53,000 at the game and it was watched by 3 million?

I thought the game had 52,500 -2 and 3.75 million watch.

dgsfan

Juniors
Anyone else here ch9 news tonight state that the SOO game had 53,000 at the game and it was watched by 3 million?

I thought the game had 52,500 -2 and 3.75 million watch.

I'm sure Kenny said 3 million online, but I could be wrong. You're being picky with the crowd, though.

nyx

Juniors
There's an article in today's Tele talking about the Origin record ratings and how channel 9 will have to pay up big to keep it and the NRL.

Interesting to hear that coming from a News Ltd paper.

I can't find it online anywhere though.

Randy_Marsh

Juniors
Teh tv rite 4 da rugby league shud go 2 teh televishun network which wud giv it teh most publicity an coverage 4 fanz acros australia.

The NRL WILL get in excess of 1 billion dollars for the next TV rights deal,

Why you ask ?
1. Because I'm optimistic
2. Rugby League is the greatest invention since sliced bread.

undertaker

Coach
Perth got a peak of 108,000 which is pretty good considering zero promotion on Ch9 and WC Eagles games only get around 170k. 10.30pm 29K, 8.30pm 108K, maybe if we got it at 7.30 and they promoted it it would rate even better!

I remember last year Fremantle had a FN game that got 325k in Perth (which was even more than what the AFL Grand Final got in Perth, think that was about 289k). If you say WC Eagles games get only around 170k, that's massive.

On another point, if the WA Reds to get admitted into the comp, REALISTICALLY, what FTA ratings do you think Perth can achieve for Friday Night games (assuming they're broadcasted at 7:30pm in Perth)? I don't know how they rated when they came into the comp back in '95 (although the ratings system was different back then), but for the big matchups and assuming WA Reds are well placed on the competition ladder, I'd be curious to know.

Billythekid

First Grade
We have 4 games that reate like GF's surely that alone is worth a f*ckton of money? Plus we have a growing international game.

Considering we outrate the AFL week to week i just don't see how we can't get as much. It's frustrating.

We have 4 games that reate like GF's surely that alone is worth a f*ckton of money? Plus we have a growing international game.

Considering we outrate the AFL week to week i just don't see how we can't get as much. It's frustrating.
Agree.

Furthermore:

-The AFL has already expanded in all major states; so this is as good as it gets for them,
-The NRL is looking to expand in major states so there is major room for improvement,
-As stated previously by some awesome guy above "the NRL is the greatest thing since sliced bread" :p
-Even with our code getting minimal promotion compared to AFL we are still seeing solid growth:
~In memberships
~crowd figures
~ and TV Ratings
-And finally through all the b/s the NRL has been through we have still remained dominant and we are still fighting fit.

IN CONCLUSION RUGBY LEAGUE FOR THE WIN ! :D

Perth Red

Post Whore
I remember last year Fremantle had a FN game that got 325k in Perth (which was even more than what the AFL Grand Final got in Perth, think that was about 289k). If you say WC Eagles games get only around 170k, that's massive.

On another point, if the WA Reds to get admitted into the comp, REALISTICALLY, what FTA ratings do you think Perth can achieve for Friday Night games (assuming they're broadcasted at 7:30pm in Perth)? I don't know how they rated when they came into the comp back in '95 (although the ratings system was different back then), but for the big matchups and assuming WA Reds are well placed on the competition ladder, I'd be curious to know.

If the game gets the momentum and exposure behind it here that it got in the early 90's with the Western reds coming in then i would comfortably predict audiences of 150-200k per game. Over the course of a season that would add over 7million viewers to the NRL's total viewing audience in their capital city ratings. If they could get Vic and SA on board as well you could easily be looking at more than 15million+ total viewers adding which would push the NRL's annual viewing ratings in capital cities ahead of the AFL. We just need decent timeslot games, our own clubs and a decent amount of contra that advertises the sport.

When you compare SOO in perth to the top viewed shows in Perth the following night (taking out the News) it rates up there with the top shows. Can't wait to hear Ch9's excuses or lies next year for not showing it at a decent time!

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Foxsports 1 had "Live" junior rep AFL games on before and during origin,

They had some great crowds at those games too, saw them on Fox Sports News :lol:

There is absolutely no way AFL would let the NRL advertise during the AFL Grand Final.

A-League side Melbourne Victory were going to pay a heap to get an ad in the AFL Grand Final match program but AFL told them no, the seasons hardly even compete which each other.

Somebody has to put those foreign dictators in their place.

9 never promote the NRL season comig up in the cricket. NEVER

Yes they do, i remember Tong Gregg and Mark Taylor talking about the NRL Grand Final early on in last years cricket season for about 10-15 minutes much to the disgust of James Brayshaw and then they advertised the Four Nations coming up.

Last year they also promoted the unofficial start of the NRL season, the All Stars games.

They flogged the Aus V England game during the Cricket last year, but that might have just been Melbourne.

Yes, i remember that too now.

Amazing figures!

Billythekid

First Grade
Can't wait to hear the excuses for why we get dudded again this time around. Massive ratings for SOO, growing international game, regular season ratings higher than the AFL. Plus our fox ratings continue to show growth and we are about to expand into new territories.

Then there is our Monday night game which is going great guns. Whilst i don't think we will get it anything less than the AFL will be a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.