What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weaponhead

Coach
it will depend on Fox

that is where the AFL got their money from

Then we are screwed. Fox spun the BS line about AFL giving them growth in states where they have low penetration as the reason why they paid more for AFL. 5 yhears on and NRL rates, AFL doesn't and the penetration in the minor states hasn't increased significantly.

Big test for the 'Independent' Commision

El Diablo

Post Whore
Then we are screwed. Fox spun the BS line about AFL giving them growth in states where they have low penetration as the reason why they paid more for AFL. 5 yhears on and NRL rates, AFL doesn't and the penetration in the minor states hasn't increased significantly.

Big test for the 'Independent' Commision

yup

the IC must remember that this Kim Williams f**ktard used that argument last time yet it is NRL ratings that have increased which proves he is full of shit http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rip-off-claim/comments-e6frexnr-1111116955780

docbrown

Coach
Exactly; but at what price would you have:

Would you be willing to shed some money off ? I know i would.

I would compile the ratings on the digital channels in Perth & Melbourne during the 8 (& potentially 9) NRL timeslots.

Then armed with the average for these timeslots, I would offer a concession against the difference in yearly aggregate if we fail to meet the current viewership.

The reason being that live NRL in Melbourne or Perth will actually rate better than repeats of Green Acres. Also that by picking up an extra 100,000+ weekly viewers, that the F2A network will actually be getting those viewers with a product it has already paid for (rather than hoarding it).

It's not going to cost as much as what some people think. It's the networks that put out that myth. As long as you're making more than the existing viewership with zero production costs (as you already own the product), then it's all gain.

The problem is AFL forced 7 & 10 to show their football on the MAIN channel, which costs them viewers.

Last edited:
I would compile the ratings on the digital channels in Perth & Melbourne during the 8 (& potentially 9) NRL timeslots.

Then armed with the average for these timeslots, I would offer a concession against the difference in yearly aggregate if we fail to meet the current viewership.

The reason being that live NRL in Melbourne or Perth will actually rate better than repeats of Green Acres. Also that by picking up an extra 100,000+ weekly viewers, that the F2A network will actually be getting those viewers with a product it has already paid for (rather than hoarding it).

It's not going to cost as much as what some people think. It's the networks that put out that myth. As long as you're making more than the existing viewership with zero production costs (as you already own the product), then it's all gain.

The problem is AFL forced 7 & 10 to show their football on the MAIN channel, which costs them viewers.

Interesting.

Brutus

Referee
Can't wait to hear the excuses for why we get dudded again this time around. Massive ratings for SOO, growing international game, regular season ratings higher than the AFL. Plus our fox ratings continue to show growth and we are about to expand into new territories.

Then there is our Monday night game which is going great guns. Whilst i don't think we will get it anything less than the AFL will be a failure.

Umm... ahhhh...ummmm...AFL is more national...ummm an AFL game goes for 234 hours.

Brutus

Referee
One from the vault

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/swimmers-to-upstage-nrl-stars/story-e6frf3ou-1111113250291

Swimmers to upstage NRL stars
THE greatest swimmer in the world will tonight push Benji Marshall and other NRL stars aside in a move by Channel 9 that will anger league fans.

The NRL and Nine have agreed that tonight's match between Parramatta and Wests Tigers will be played at 8pm because Nine is televising the world swimming championships in Melbourne.
Nine wants to show the match live, with kick-off now back 30 minutes from the customary 7.30pm kick-off.
Nine has bumped the league back to telecast the swimming, which will include a 100m butterfly semi-final involving US champion Michael Phelps, arguably the greatest swimmer Australia has seen.
But the decision means the second Friday night game - Brisbane versus Penrith at Suncorp Stadium -- will not finish on air until 11.45pm.
Although Eels officials were reluctant to criticise Nine, club sources say the decision will cost Parramatta $100,000 in ticket sales, catering and merchandising.
A crowd of about 15,000 is expected tonight but that figure could have been higher had the match kicked off earlier.
Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald declined to comment on the scheduling drama while NRL chief executive David Gallop backed Nine.

"It's not ideal but it is the world swimming championships," Gallop said. "Nine is well known for its excellent coverage of sport."
Asked would the 8pm kick-off affect tonight's crowd, Gallop said: "No. I wouldn't expect it to impact too much.
"Effectively it's only 20 minutes later than normal. The games haven't been starting until 7.40pm to 7.45pm."
Nine's head of sport Steve Crawley gave reasons behind his channel's decision.
"We asked the NRL if the clubs would put kick-off back 15 minutes and the clubs agreed," Crawley said.
"People can now see Michael Phelps in action and Libby Lenton, Jodie Henry and Leisel Jones go for gold.
"In the past we have been criticised for putting events on delay. The clubs and the NRL supported our move to show the match live.
"Last year the television audience didn't get to see matches until 8.30pm. This game will still be earlier than that at 8pm."
The controversy comes as the Broncos management slammed a television-driven scheduling decision that has left the premiers with less than four full days to prepare for their grand final rematch with Melbourne Storm.
The Broncos are furious they have been scheduled to meet the Knights in Newcastle at 7pm on Sunday, April 22, before backing up against Storm in Brisbane the following Friday.
The unusual scheduling of a Sunday night game was made to accommodate coverage of the trans-Tasman Test between Australia and New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, April 20.
Given it will telecast only one game on the Friday night, Nine will instead show two NRL games on the Sunday.
The Eels v Bulldogs game will be shown at 4pm, with the Knights and Broncos game shown that evening.
"It came as a complete shock to us," Broncos managing director Bruno Cullen said.
"To schedule a game without any notification or consultation is a bit frustrating."

docbrown

Coach
Umm... ahhhh...ummmm...AFL is more national...ummm an AFL game goes for 234 hours.

Shame though that the ads on the Foxtel simulcasts won't rate because viewers will change channels during their ad blocks (which will be measured).

And when (and I mean when because it will happen) this gets back to the advertisers the word will spread and the spots will lose their value costing both Foxtel & 7.

It won't matter that the AFL goes for 3 hours when their ad rates plummet by 20-30%.

That said - Friday NRL and Sunday NRL double headers are a potential boon, especially if 10 gets the 7pm start.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
i'm waiting to see 9 f**k the finals seeing the Yawnion WC will be on at the same time

"We interrupt this NRL Grand Final golden point extra time game to cross to the Namibia vs Samoa blockbuster! Samoa are currently in front 7 penalty goals to 3."

Billythekid

First Grade
Shame though that the ads on the Foxtel simulcasts won't rate because viewers will change channels during their ad blocks (which will be measured).

And when (and I mean when because it will happen) this gets back to the advertisers the word will spread and the spots will lose their value costing both Foxtel & 7.

It won't matter that the AFL goes for 3 hours when their ad rates plummet by 20-30%.

That said - Friday NRL and Sunday NRL double headers are a potential boon, especially if 10 gets the 7pm start.

The Sunday time slot is one that i have long thought is underrated and underused. First of all the ratings you can get on Sunday aren't that much worse than Friday despite being in a much worse rating time slot. That plus it directly leads into the news.

I think Sundays have a lot more potential than is being realised by either code.

Edit: The AFL also seem to struggle here somewhat. I would love to see your idea for a double header go forward as it would be another big advantage over the AFL (like monday night footy).

BDGS

Bench
Super League adversaries unite at last

Old Super League war adversaries have united in their support of the eight figures set to form rugby league's independent commission.

The Australian Rugby League Commission is expected to be unveiled next week after the inaugural eight commissioners were finally approved on Thursday following months of negotiations.

Reports said Queensland indigenous educator Chris Sarra would join league great Wayne Pearce and a host of business leaders on the new body.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The formation of the commission will bring to an end 13 years of an uneasy union between the Australian Rugby League and News Ltd, who fought a bitter battle with rival competitions in the mid-1990s.

But former ARL bosses Ken Arthurson and John Quayle and Super League architect John Ribot have forgotten their differences to welcome the new era.

"I do (feel satisfaction) because I've always said I just don't think any organisation should be in control of sport," former ARL chairman Arthurson told AAP.

"Having said that, I think that News Ltd have done the right thing. They said they'd do what they've done and they've done it.

"What's happened has happened and it's no good us carrying grudges.

"If we all care about the game, and I'm sure we all do, we've just got to put all those past differences behind us and get on with making the game a success."

Arthurson is disappointed his former ARL right-hand man Quayle is not one of the commissioners, as had been touted earlier in the negotiations, but backs the seven men and one woman agreed upon.

"It appears to me they've made a pretty good selection," Arthurson said.

"I'm very disappointed that John Quayle wasn't one of the commissioners because I think he would have been ideal."

Former ARL chief executive Quayle is showing no signs of disappointment but said the job ahead will not be easy.

"It's a great step for the future," he said.

"It will be a more difficult task than people expect for the next coupleof years, with the hard decisions to be made, but I'm sure they'll do a wonderful job."

Ribot, who was the Melbourne Storm's first CEO and later a Queensland Rugby League board member, said the game deserves the independent body.

"It takes the politics out of it so I think now we can move forward," he said.

"I'd like to think all rugby league followers can sit back and know that decisions now will be made in the best interests of the game, not in the best interests of individuals."

On the back of Wednesday night's record-breaking television ratings for State of Origin III, Arthurson and Ribot are also united in what the commission's first priority should be - a massive new broadcast deal.

"It's got to be a lot more lucrative to rugby league than it's been in the past," Arthurson said.

The former chairman said support for grassroots league is another priority.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...adversaries-unite-at-last-20110708-1h6qp.html

Some people on here should listen to Ken Arthurson.

Cletus

First Grade
On the back of Wednesday night's record-breaking television ratings for State of Origin III, Arthurson and Ribot are also united in what the commission's first priority should be - a massive new broadcast deal.

"It's got to be a lot more lucrative to rugby league than it's been in the past," Arthurson said.

Well that's more positive than Gallop has ever been. I hope it leads to a big improvement in the rights deal but I'll believe it when it happens.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
The Sunday time slot is one that i have long thought is underrated and underused. First of all the ratings you can get on Sunday aren't that much worse than Friday despite being in a much worse rating time slot. That plus it directly leads into the news.

I think Sundays have a lot more potential than is being realised by either code.

Edit: The AFL also seem to struggle here somewhat. I would love to see your idea for a double header go forward as it would be another big advantage over the AFL (like monday night footy).

Our game owned Sundays and we've kind of let it fall down in the scheme of things and boosted the night games. But it has such massive potential. The Sunday ratings in a double header will be boosted by follow through audiences watching both games - appealing to 4 sets of fans - both Sydney & Brisbane metros plus 2 other markets.

The AFL will struggle to do Sunday double header simply due to the game's running time. But the NRL can have 2 Sunday games back to back, intermixed with a game panel NFL-style as a lead in and buffers, extending the running time to 4-5 hours and increasing the advertising potential.

With the right strategies in place, Sundays could really rival Fridays as its easier to sit through two games on an afternoon. And the early start is actually perfect viewing on a Sunday block and is a traditional sports slot.

BDGS

Bench
Well that's more positive than Gallop has ever been. I hope it leads to a big improvement in the rights deal but I'll believe it when it happens.

To be fair the NRL has said many times they are still confident of an billion dollar deal.

Also, Arthurson and Quayle are under less pressure when saying htings like that because they are no longer in positions of power within the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.