What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus

Referee
Well that's more positive than Gallop has ever been. I hope it leads to a big improvement in the rights deal but I'll believe it when it happens.

Gallop's comments about broadcast money have been so underwhelming since he's been CEO, it's truly sad.

Only Gallop sycophants would see otherwise.

Last edited:

RodneyMaynard

Juniors
If the game gets the momentum and exposure behind it here that it got in the early 90's with the Western reds coming in then i would comfortably predict audiences of 150-200k per game. Over the course of a season that would add over 7million viewers to the NRL's total viewing audience in their capital city ratings.

You really think the Reds will out-rate the two Perth AFL sides?

Perth's AFL ratings have barely reached those kind of numbers this year.

Shame though that the ads on the Foxtel simulcasts won't rate because viewers will change channels during their ad blocks (which will be measured).

I'll stand corrected, but I don't think ratings can be measured to that level of accuracy? If they could, wouldn't every single show on television be in trouble due to viewers channel surfing during ad breaks?

Edwahu

Bench

docbrown

Coach
I'll stand corrected, but I don't think ratings can be measured to that level of accuracy? If they could, wouldn't every single show on television be in trouble due to viewers channel surfing during ad breaks?

Yes that's one and I believe there's another group rolling out a Foxtel specific one.

The problem with the AFL Foxtel arrangement that I can see is that rather than having ads after goals, the commentary will continue and all those ad will be buffered/played at the end of breaks etc in large 5 minute+ blocks.

The longer the ad break, the more prevalent channel changing becomes. If Foxtel get what they want and attract a decent % of 7's existing audience, then when that data gets back into the hands of the agencies they're naturally not going to pay the same price for slots as they're attracting less viewers.

Foxtel & 7 actually have to increase the overall aggregate audiences just to offset the loss in channel changing viewers. Admittedly this is affecting the networks more than the AFL, but I suspect it may add to decline in AFL fans watching multiple matches every week as I believe the broadcasters will try to fit in more advertising to offset the losses.

Quidgybo

Bench
If I was running the joint, Reds and Storm away games would be shown in those states live on F2A.
As I keep saying, a fixed season schedule with three games allocated to each Friday night and another three to each Sunday afternoon. On both days let Pay TV show all three matches live and let Free to Air screen any two matches in each market as a doubleheader. Schedule most Reds games Friday night (all Reds away matches and half their home games) and most Storm matches Sunday afternoon (10 Storm home games and 8 of their away games). This allows both frontier teams to build local audiences in regular timeslots with the local team appearing 18 out of 26 weeks. Meanwhile the choice of any two of three matches for Free to Air means the two frontier teams don't always have to be shown in the larger states at the expense of coverage for the other 16 teams.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=7507194

Leigh

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You really think the Reds will out-rate the two Perth AFL sides?

Perth's AFL ratings have barely reached those kind of numbers this year.

?

It's optimistic and depends on how well run the club is and what sort of investment the NRL makes but I reckon we could. Perth is set to grow by another million people+ over the next 30 years and most of them will come from the East coast. We got 190K for a SOO some years ago so its not impossible.

WC V Geloong the other week drew 244K.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
http://www.encoremagazine.com.au/foxtel-to-acquire-austar-for-2-5-billion-9337

Foxtel to acquire Austar for $2.5 billion

Foxtel will acquire Austar by a series of transactions including a scheme of arrangemen, for the purchase of approximately $2.5 billion, it has been announced.
The merger brings together two of Australia’s largest subscription television providers and create a business with over 2500 employees with an anticipated revenue of more than $2.8 billion and an investment of $500 million per annum in original Australian content.
Shareholders will receive$1.52 in cash per share.
The cash payment of $1.52 per share represents:
  • a 54% premium to the closing price of A$0.985 on 17 February 2011, being the last trading day prior to AUSTAR’s share price being affected by media speculation about a proposed transaction (Reference Date);
  • a 56% premium to the 1 month volume weighted average share price to the Reference Date; and
  • approximately 10x Operating Cash Flows for the last 12 months.
Mr Mike Fries, Chairman of AUSTAR and Chief Executive Officer of LGI said: “AUSTAR is a world class company and LGI is proud to have been part of its development and growth over the last 17 years. John Porter and his team have built one of the best pay TV platforms in the world and this deal is a natural next step for AUSTAR and its subscribers. We look forward to completing the transaction and believe it represents compelling value for all shareholders.”
In a statement, CEO of Foxtel, Kim Williams said, “A merged Foxtel and Austar would make compelling strategic sense and it would continue to invest and innovate in a superb digital service for consumers across Australia, including investing heavily in marvellous new original Australian content.”

As expected but the price was actually higher than the $2 billion first thrown around.

Brutus

Referee
So will all this phone-hacking drama have an effect on the money RL gets from Fox?

Some reports today have suggested the Murdoch empire could come crashing down.

docbrown

Coach
Sorry guys i don't have that much knowledge with this....

Is this good for us or bad for us ? In terms of our TV right deal.

Bit of both.

As stated by ParraEels, it alludes to the factor that networks are in the process of buying up their regional affiliates - but also puts Foxtel into a position of arrogance.

The IC sub-committee need to take very real market research into negotiations. They need to present Foxtel with the number of Austar subscribers who will quit if they lose games to F2A.

docbrown

Coach
So will all this phone-hacking drama have an effect on the money RL gets from Fox?

Cut off one of News Limited's heads and another grows in its place.

Billythekid

First Grade
Bit of both.

As stated by ParraEels, it alludes to the factor that networks are in the process of buying up their regional affiliates - but also puts Foxtel into a position of arrogance.

The IC sub-committee need to take very real market research into negotiations. They need to present Foxtel with the number of Austar subscribers who will quit if they lose games to F2A.

This is what worries me. Basically it's something we have all been saying for years. The NRL's main point it needs to hammer home is that fox will shrivel up and die without us.

Whether or not the IC is capable of doing this is another issue.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
This is what worries me. Basically it's something we have all been saying for years. The NRL's main point it needs to hammer home is that fox will shrivel up and die without us.

Every sport is in the same boat and I bet the boggerball hasn't been payed for their next rights yet ;-)

docbrown

Coach

I respect Ian Elliott. The man knows how to sell.

I also think that there's a massive amount of pressure on those individuals to prove their own relevance.

Ray Mosters

Juniors

Errr, no

The murdoch empire is hugely diverse, stretching across many countries and many industries.

The absolute worst thing that will happen to him is that he will be forced to divest himself of some of his media holdings.

And probably only print media, which is a dying format anyway

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts