What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

whall15

Coach
Surprisingly this was posted over at Big Footy, the AFL forum.

TV_revenue_2010.png

This shows that as a whole (including regionals) NSW's advertising market is by far the largest in Australia comprising 38.5% of the total market, adding to that the market of Queensland (18.6%), Rugby League is by far the largest sport in 57.1% of Australia's advertising market.

Surprisingly this was posted over at Big Footy, the AFL forum.

TV_revenue_2010.png

This shows that as a whole (including regionals) NSW's advertising market is by far the largest in Australia comprising 38.5% of the total market, adding to that the market of Queensland (18.6%), Rugby League is by far the largest sport in 57.1% of Australia's advertising market.
Mate i posted that on the Roar a while ago ,when the fumbletards were banging on about 5 capitals & regionals mean little.
I asked the question if regionals mean nothing then how come the QLD + NSW regional media market is worth more in ADD $$$$$ than Perth & Adelaide combined..
No answer as usual.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
NSW+QLD regional is over 50% of total Victoria and well over double Adelaide. Typical Melbournians thinking they're the centre of the universe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There must be a reason the media and TV execs bang on about capital city ratings, not sure why but clearly they see it more valuable.

Edwahu

Bench
There must be a reason the media and TV execs bang on about capital city ratings, not sure why but clearly they see it more valuable.

At the moment its because its the regional affiliates like WIN and Southern Cross who get 60%+ of the revenue. Once they Metro networks buy up the regionals affiliates watch them switch to a proper National Rating system.

docbrown

Coach
At the moment its because its the regional affiliates like WIN and Southern Cross who get 60%+ of the revenue. Once they Metro networks buy up the regionals affiliates watch them switch to a proper National Rating system.

Happening as we speak.

babyg

Juniors
This next rights deal will be the kicker for us. Would it be better to negociate a shorter deal this time around to be back to the first to negociate.

duylm

Juniors
why?

didn't help last time

This is actually a major difference that we are on the losing side of. Since our last deal the AFL has upgraded their TV contract 2X, while ours hasn’t even gone to market to receive the most current Market Value because of the length of our contract.

Since 1997 we have signed 2 contracts. 1998-2007: 10years @ $35m per annum. This was necessary to secure a regular fixed income stream as we picked up the pieces from the Super League War. The A-League did a similar thing with their $120m 7 year contract, but the difference is that they have gone backwards and are staring down the barrel of a significantly decreased next deal.

Our contract was renewed a year early INSTEAD of going to market for tender, at which point we signed a 6year deal @$83m pa ($500m). I believe it’s $43m pa from fox $40m pa from nien, There was no reason for us to do such an extended contract when League was strong, healthy and going gangbusters at this point.

On the flipside, AFL have been stable for a while and are settled on 5 year contracts, upgrading their deal 4X over the same period. They signed 1997-2001 (I can’t find a value for this period), 2002-2006 ($100m pa x 5 = $500m: CH9, CH10, FOX), 2007-2011 ($156m pa x 5 = $780m: CH7, CH10, Fox), and then 2012-2016 ($256m pa x 5 = $1,280m: CH7, fox).

Therefore, for the 2012 season, they will receive $256m while we get $83m. It’s bull**** for us to be that far behind. The only advantage that keeps us in the game is that an AFL club costs almost twice to run compared to an NRL team due to massive squad sizes.

Oh, and somewhere in their we gave away our online rights to Telstra for nothing?

Anyway so for 2007 and 2012 they managed to get significant increases on their deals while we wait around for our contract to end. :crazy:

Billythekid

First Grade
2 things i've just noticed in other threads i've noticed that i thought were interesting.

The first was what i just read in the crowd watch thread that the only AFL game this Friday night is St Kilda vs Adelaide. So it's on of the smaller AFL clubs against an interstate club and they are both doing sh*t.

If ever there was a chance to show NRL in Victoria against AFL this is the week. Especially since it's against the broncos with both teams on top.

It just pisses me off that we miss great chances like this because ch9 want to f*ck us over.

The other thing which has been discussed before is the NZ portion of our tv deal. Does this count towards the total tv deal? To me it's just even more mind boggling if we can get less than the AFL even with this included.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The NZ part of the deal isn't that significant. The entire country only has about the population of Sydney or Melbourne, and league is only the 2nd sport there.

Billythekid

First Grade
The NZ part of the deal isn't that significant. The entire country only has about the population of Sydney or Melbourne, and league is only the 2nd sport there.

As far as i know it still brings in a pretty decent amount of money. Regardless it doesn't have to bring in that much. We should already be nearly on par with the AFL this is just one more thing in our favour.

Also i would argue that considering NRL and AFL are only really popular in half the country that a population as big as Sydney or Melbourne is actually pretty damn huge.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The Sky deal I believe brings in an 8th of the overall deal. Cant remember exactly but I remember thinking that too myself.

And yes, it is counted towards the overall $500mil.

Serc

First Grade
Clubs' ploy to abandon Foxtel to get rights value
Roy Masters
July 20, 2011

NRL club bosses meet tomorrow in Sydney, unanimous they must be rewarded at the next broadcasting contract for the high ratings and subscriptions their games generate, even if it means abandoning Foxtel.
While clubs are optimistic competition among the free-to-air networks will deliver the dollars consistent with the code's popularity in NSW and Queensland, there is a growing fear pay TV monopolist Foxtel will not offer the same for NRL rights as it recently did for AFL games.
It is possible clubs will support NRL chief executive David Gallop in a strategy of offering all eight games per week to the free-to-air networks on a short-term basis, shutting out Foxtel until the News Ltd-controlled service realises the disastrous loss of subscriptions such a move would cause.

Foxtel paid AFL a record $650 million over five years for four exclusive live games a week, yet pays the NRL only $42 million a year for five live games a week. Foxtel boss Kim Williams has acknowledged the high price paid - which allows coverage of all AFL games - was designed to increase subscriptions in the AFL states (currently 24 per cent in Adelaide to 27 per cent in Melbourne), well below subscriptions in Sydney (38 per cent) and Brisbane (32 per cent).
While Williams sees less capacity for growth in NRL subscriptions, club bosses believe Fox Sports was built on the popularity of rugby league and they should be rewarded for what they have delivered.
If this involves selling Foxtel's Super Saturday three games and the high-rating Monday night game to the free-to-air networks, with the consequent cancellation of Foxtel subscriptions in NSW and Queensland, this may be the only course to bring Foxtel to the table with an offer that reflects just value. Asked to comment on a future broadcasting package, Gallop said: ''We envisage a mix of FTA and pay at this stage but one thing is clear - we drive subscriptions, we provide 73 of the top 100 shows [on pay-TV]. You can talk about length of games and number of ads being different with AFL but at the end of the day it's about what people sign up for and that's clearly our game. We must get value for that.
''And if we do not, then we need to consider alternatives. If this involves a short-term FTA deal without Foxtel, so be it.''

Gallop said there had been unprecedented lobbying by networks Seven, Nine and Ten: ''The FTAs are currently knocking our door down to show their interest.''
Tomorrow's rare dual meetings of club chairmen and chief executives in Coogee is the first since an independent commission was named.
The broadcasting contract and its flow on effects to club grants and the salary cap is high on the agenda.
Gallop and L.E.K. Consulting's Colin Smith have not been given permission to begin formal negotiations with networks until the commission is in place to ratify the broadcasting contract, but the first meeting of the eight directors of the new ruling body is imminent.

Complicated first-and-last rights provisions with each of the four entities that hold options over NRL rights - Channel Nine, Fox Sports, SKY New Zealand and News Ltd - mean it could take 15 months to negotiate the final broadcasting contract.
Informal discussions to date with network chiefs have delighted the NRL over the interest from free-to-air TV but executives are alarmed Williams prefers AFL because of its superior ''family image.'' Gallop countered with: ''The AFL have had their fair share of off-field image issues.''

Williams also points out AFL games last three hours, compared to the NRL's two, allowing greater opportunity for commercials.
However, Foxtel will not show advertisements after goals, in a deliberate strategy of wooing viewers from Channel Seven for the four AFL games they simulcast. Foxtel also believe AFL's pre- and post-game shows are superior to the NRL.

Smith said: ''The NRL media results for 2011 reinforce the game's leadership position with State of Origin, the three most watched game ever with 3.8 million viewers; critically, pay TV numbers are up 20 per cent; NRL dominates the top 100 shows on pay TV.''

Asked the effect of Foxtel losing rugby league, considering its existing packages force subscribers to buy programs they don't wish to see, Smith said: ''It would be very significant indeed and lead to a major loss in subscribers from pay TV.
''If FTA TV bought NRL for say three years, it could be catastrophic for Foxtel.''
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/clubs-ploy-to-abandon-foxtel-to-get-rights-value-20110719-1hnb0.html

Very interesting...great comments Gallop!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.