What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quidgybo

Bench
Can someone explain the Monday Night Origin to me?

Is it

a) Teams play Friday to Sunday then Origin on Monday.

or

b) Weekend off, Origin on Monday.

A partial round of club games on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday before Origin with rep players stood down, exactly as we have now. But Origin on Monday instead of Wednesday to guarantee players a minimum of four days before the following weekend's Friday night club games instead of backing up only two days later.

Leigh

Last edited:

Flapper

First Grade
Since the announcement of the IC he has been noticeably more proactive. Taken his time about it though...

Probably knows he needs to.

This is an interesting move. Foxtel without NRL is nothing. You know it, I know it, Kim Williams knows it. But will he see it as a money grabbing bluff or will he be spooked enough to cough up? I dont think he'll make any OTT move until he sees an actual deal to leave Fox.

Has there been any subscription data released showing any spike in uptakes since Foxtel overpaid for the AFL,

Goddo

Bench
Maybe a free to air NRL based sports channel?

Go! or One with lots of league on the weekend.

kurt faulk

Coach
But would the NRL survive?

haha, the nrl has been living off breadcrumbs the last decade. it would survive a nuclear holocaust, it is that resilient.

but it's all mute anyway. there is no way in hell foxtel won't pay up for the nrl. they can posture all they like but in the end they will pay up. they know they are nothing without the nrl. that's what stupid league was all about. they had their 15 years of cheap nrl rights but they now know they will have to spend the cash to keep their business afloat.

Sean18

Juniors
If the NRL doesn't get the money it wants from Foxtel then this would be a great idea. Foxtel are under-paying the NRL massively and the NRL has to play hard ball if it wants more money.

Edwahu

Bench
I can't see FTA buying every game. The best bet to bring Foxtel to the table would probably be to offer the best 4 or 5 timeslots to FTA and the rest to a IP TV rival for Foxtel.

bobmar28

Bench
Unlikely given that ch9 can only show 1 out of 3 games they have each week live. I realise there could be a scenario with games shared by 7,9 & 10, but I doubt they'd be able to show as many live games as Fox Sports currently do. Also, I can't see the FTA approach changing for our unfortunate fans in "AFL country" ( VIC, Tas, SA & WA ) ie - replays of games at ridiculous times.

Games would have to be shown on digital channels in prime time in the southern states as part of the negotiations.

Jono1987

Juniors
I'd cancel my subscription.

I could be wrong but wasn't there talk that it wouldn't be Foxtel bidding for the TV rights but Premier Media Group? Right now they have a new CEO, their COO also just resigned. I wonder if the changes are being forced because of financial reasons? The new CEO came on from Foxtel too I believe, which may not be great news for us...

Minotaur

Juniors
This sounds great, why not bring the game of league to all Australians and not just the Australians that can afford it. Providing the NRL gets the money they are after, there can only be positives in showing all games on free to air TV. Foxtel have ridden off our coat tails for years and in return only paid us a pittance.

BRING THE GAME TO THE PEOPLE!!!!

beave

Coach
I love my austar and would find use of it even without footy, but I would still cancel it to prove a point and I hope there are others out there who will do the same........

Brutus

Referee
The goal post's have moved for the flog. If he wants to keep his job he has no option but to play tough guy

That's basically what it all boils down to.

It's just a shame that for 10 bloody years he's been about to get away with being a "flog".

Brutus

Referee
williams3.jpg

Pay up ya grub.

bulldog

Bench
PS - where are all the Gallop haters who think he is just a News hack?

One here, I'll say the tone of his comments are a nice change from the non-committal bullsh!t he usually spins. Hopefully a sign that the News Limited shackles are coming off and he can start being the CEO we need.

Brutus

Referee
PS - where are all the Gallop haters who think he is just a News hack?

This is how Gallop should have been talking prior to the last TV deal.

Can you remember some of the weak stuff that came out of his mouth?

His justifications for the deal in the weeks following were qually as weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.