What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Panfas

Juniors
Foxtel wont let it happen. But the only way to get the $$ out of them is to threaten to leave like Gallop has done. Kudos Mr Gallop

I wouldn't cancel the fox subscription because I watch other sports and shows but I'm very interested to see how Gallop and co negotiate with Nein and others on FTA, they undersold the NRL rights last time around.

docbrown

Coach
I think this should be merged with the TV rights thread.

You know what - I have been saying this in TFC and figured that it would actually be announced at the end of the year but Smith jumped the gun - but -

We will set a Pay TV Ratings Record this year

and

We will also set a Regional TV Ratings Record this year

I know this was mooted in the TV rights thread as an option and shot down - but - I am all in favour of complicating the negotiations as much as possible.

Also - this would help break both sets of First & Last Rights agreements depending if a network or group of network buys the whole package to then offsell.

I can see both 7 & 10 putting in cash to get a slice of the pie given the short term committment.

However I don't see all 8 or 9 games being aired on TV. We may see a blackout of 1 or 2 games per week - or more likely - games targeted to specific metros/areas, similar to Leigh's proposal (minus the foxtel aspect)

Parra

Referee
Gallop has always been able to talk the talk.

Taking action is a different thing altogether.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
We envisage a mix of FTA and pay at this stage but one thing is clear - we drive subscriptions, we provide 73 of the top 100 shows [on pay-TV]. You can talk about length of games and number of ads being different with AFL but at the end of the day it's about what people sign up for and that's clearly our game. We must get value for that.
Good to see Mr Ahhh-Ummmmmmm come out with some aggressive statements, reinforcing what most on here have been saying for years. I'd bin Foxtel in an instant if the footy wasn't on it.

firechild

First Grade
But would the NRL survive?

Why would the NRL suffer? If they got the money they were after ($1 billion+) then it does not matter where it comes from. Having it on FTA instead of Foxtel is better for the game if it can bring in the same money as it is more available to more people.

Noa

First Grade
Well done Gallop. Saying what needs to be said.

You watch the News and Telstra hacks try to talk about "opening new markets" and "length of game" and other bullsh!t spin.

Facts are NRL is the highest rating sport on TV in Australia. You want it, you gotta pay for it. Maybe cut a bigger Internet deal with Telstra, and get footy on the T-box. I'm sure they would love that.

PS - where are all the Gallop haters who think he is just a News hack?

The goal post's have moved for the flog. If he wants to keep his job he has no option but to play tough guy

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i'd cancel fox, only have it for league, i'll flick through their other shit and the missus might be upset she cant watch a million home decorating shows but its really only there for the footy.

nrlnrl

First Grade
As usual the 2 media outlets have completely different outlooks on tomorrow's meeting. The SMH love stirring up News Ltd / Foxtel / Fox Sports whenever they can & are also having a field day with the current dramas over in England. Conversely, it doesn't feature in the Telegraph & the Australian only briefly mentions it.

The Fairfax approach will have a benefit for themselves & the NRL with News Ltd having to spend more, also meaning extra money for the NRL. That's what everyone here wants, so let the fun & games continue.

nrlnrl

First Grade
This would leave foxtel up shit creek. Wouldn't it be great to have 8 games a week accessible to all australians

Unlikely given that ch9 can only show 1 out of 3 games they have each week live. I realise there could be a scenario with games shared by 7,9 & 10, but I doubt they'd be able to show as many live games as Fox Sports currently do. Also, I can't see the FTA approach changing for our unfortunate fans in "AFL country" ( VIC, Tas, SA & WA ) ie - replays of games at ridiculous times.

How much cash would FTA networks be prepared to pay to show all games? This would mean that networks could even have to go head-to-head showing different games.

If that would be the case, it would be a bonanza for the network not showing NRL as it would get all the non-NRL viewers.

BuffaloRules

Coach
How much cash would FTA networks be prepared to pay to show all games? This would mean that networks could even have to go head-to-head showing different games.

Not necessarily...

You could have Nine doing the Friday + Sunday games as they do now ( double header on Sundays at 2pm and 4pm).

Ten/One could do the three Super Saturday games and Seven the Monday night games..

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I think it is great Gus Gould can now attend these CEO conferences, i'd imagine he would really stir the pot reading some of his stuff in the SMH.

Status
Not open for further replies.