What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

legend

Coach
Thursday night footy like the NFL now do?

• One game Thursday
  • Friday stays the same
  • Two live games Saturday at 5.30 and 7.30
  • Two games Sunday, one live and one delayed as it currently is
  • MNF

All on FTA with the top bidder getting three games and the other two networks getting two each.

Coaster

Bench
I would like to know Foxtel's subscription figures for Brisbane.

I know a lot of people around here that follow the Broncos do not have Foxtel, because they simply do not need it. I had a mate ring me and complain the other week, because he had to wait till 9:30pm to watch them on the Friday night on FTA.

There is still a large untapped market IMO for Foxtel to increase subscribers throughout QLD, with a new TV deal that offers Broncos games, Titans and Cowboys supporters already have the need for Foxtel because most of our games are only shown on Fox.

NRL should be using the Broncos as a bargaining chip in negotiations for Foxtel. They wont because the Broncos and Nine can not be separated.

legend

Coach
But a second Brisbane side would certainly drive subscriptions as they won't both be on FTA every week in Brisbane.

BuffaloRules

Coach
There should be another poll:

Does anyone really think this will happen?

The threat of them losing their cash cow should be enough to make them cough up and pay their fair share, so it probably wont happen....

Its always good to have options though Union boy...

Ray Mosters

Juniors
Its a bluff, but a damn exciting one. The confidence and swagger in the code at the moment is just amazing.

There are many problems with this, that main being the simple idea that we cannot have a decrease in revenue without serious problems.

In fact, we cant even really have a stagnation...we HAVE to increase the amount of cash that we bring in, or else we will have players leaving the code in big numbers, and poor clubs pushed to the brink and over the edge.

We have to increase support for the clubs, and unless we give the players a big pay bump then more are going to go overseas.

We could sell a game or two exclusively to BigPond. But expansion would be put on hold while this plays out too. Hmmmmm

The problem is, will Foxtel care that much? Yes we are their number one factor driving subscriptions, but realistically we are one of many, many properties that they have. I personally wont be dropping Foxtel because of the golf, and there are many others who are into their rugger, soccer, cricket or AFL. For them its hardly a knockout blow, its just a dropoff in subscriptions. And one that has a long leadoff time, as most people are locked into long contracts, and people are just used to having it there. It would seriously take 3 years for the full effect.

But.... it might be possible.

THE GAMBLE

Lets say we try it for 3 years.

If we can get from the FTA networks a similar or slightly higher figure per annum than we get now (which seems possible but i cant be sure), and restructure payments so that rep players get the big increase (thereby protecting our top tier), and we guarantee all clubs currently existing that they are underwritten for the duration of the gamble, then we can possibly wait foxtel out.

The players will complain that they arent getting the cash they deserve, and a greater number of second tier players will head off to Europe and the AFL, but we can grit our teeth and be confident that they will be back once things normalise. As long as we retain our clubs, we will retain our supporter base.

Now for the time being there is less money for grassroots, for promotion, and none at all for expansion.

One thing that will probably suffer is coverage outside the heartland... while NSW and QLD will get all the games its unlikely it will be shown anywhere else. This will be done to get the maximum value out of our FTA component.

On the positive side, the game is much cheaper to promote because its going to be on all the time. Its going to be ubiquitous. Talk about shoring up the heartland, we will be back into everyones faces for the duration, and its unlikely that AFL will get a look in when we are on around the clock on weekends.

Its very interesting stuff anyway.

BuffaloRules

Coach
According to the article, Foxtel are paying $42 Mil per year for their 5 games.

You honestly dont think the FTA networks would pay at least this?

How much would Monday night alone be worth to say Channel 7?

Looking at its popularity on Fox, it would be a guaranteed ratings winner on FTA, particularly if you could maximise Brisbane involvement with a second team....

Raiderdave

First Grade
I advocated this very same thing 6 months ago

but some " expert's " in here :sarcasm: said it couldn't & wouldn't happen
& I don't understand the landscape

hmm
seems I do & they don't

F .. Foxtel
sign a short 1 year deal with the FTA's .. & give them nothing .. at all

as polls are suggesting 80% of subscribers would drop Foxtel like a lead weight
almost all of Foxtels 100 top shows are sport
& 77 of these are NRL programs
so most who subscribe to Foxtel do so for the NRL content alone

they'd be broke within a year :D

Lego_Man

First Grade
I'll believe it when i see it. Gallop is good at delivering soundbites when public opinion demands it, but nothing ever comes of it.

Remember his "use it or lose it" to Channel 9 Melbourne where he demanded games be televised before midnight? Melbournites are still waiting.

I do hope this would mean a return to saturday afternoon footy.

^^^^^ this. He suddenly finds a pair when he's jobs on the line. Only taken 10 yrs.

But, but, but, but better late than never

420_gallop-420x0.jpg

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I think they could get closed with FTA - Fridays and Sunday afternoons on 9, Saturday/Monday night on ONE/Seven.

Biggest problem may be Nine not wanting the early Sunday games and One/Seven showing three games in succession on Saturday nights.

Coaster

Bench
sounds just like a bluff really. hope it works.

surprised there hasn't been more people agreeing with you tbh

I dont think many would want Foxtel to lose the games, just are willing to if they do not pay up.

I would like nothing better then Fox to have all the games, Inc SOO and Test matches and all SL games. A League channel, with all in HD and all SOO games + 1 game a week and finals in 3D. I would pay another $50 a month for that.

I have 2 x Platinum HD packs in my house, i have no issue paying for TV, but in saying that i personally only use the sports and comedy channels, with the occasional movie.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I dont think many would want Foxtel to lose the games, just are willing to if they do not pay up.

I would like nothing better then Fox to have all the games, Inc SOO and Test matches and all SL games. A League channel, with all in HD and all SOO games + 1 game a week and finals in 3D. I would pay another $50 a month for that.

I have 2 x Platinum HD packs in my house, i have no issue paying for TV, but in saying that i personally only use the sports and comedy channels, with the occasional movie.

a ridiculous idea if we don't get subscriptions about 33% of all potential veiwers up to closer to 100%
Any Sport that doesn't have FTA content regardless of ... will shrivel up & die
unions S15 & the A League are tiny minnow comps partly because they have no FTA presence .. that n their cr@p

you'd prefer 500K veiwers watching SOO .. instead of 4 million would you:sarcasm:
pull yr head in :roll:

BDGS

Bench
This would leave foxtel up shit creek. Wouldn't it be great to have 8 games a week accessible to all australians

Well done Gallop. Saying what needs to be said.

You watch the News and Telstra hacks try to talk about "opening new markets" and "length of game" and other bullsh!t spin.

Facts are NRL is the highest rating sport on TV in Australia. You want it, you gotta pay for it. Maybe cut a bigger Internet deal with Telstra, and get footy on the T-box. I'm sure they would love that.

PS - where are all the Gallop haters who think he is just a News hack?

There seems to be quite a bit of positive momentum at the NRL at the moment. Gallop and co are doing a good job laying the platform for the IC. Heres News' take on it from the Australian:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...nts-to-its-clubs/story-e6frg7mf-1226097854496

Foxtel wont let it happen. But the only way to get the $$ out of them is to threaten to leave like Gallop has done. Kudos Mr Gallop

A welcome change in relation of talk about Mr. Gallop. Some things are the same things i have been going on about for a while. Great Work Mr. Gallop.

Anyone think he is just a newsltd figure head now?

Maybe a free to air NRL based sports channel?

Go! or One with lots of league on the weekend.

That would be great

I'd would cancel foxtel within seconds if it lost RL, no other season at all to have it...

I would as well.

Raiderdave

First Grade
What would Fox do if the NRL pulled the pin on them? A Rebel league? What a "super" idea.

won't happen
last time news had half the clubs on board ( 1995) ... ATM they have 1

Melbourne & only because they own them

it wouldn't get to first base in 2011

Parra

Referee
This threat would make sense if the "start no other competitions" clause had been included before this IC was hastily arranged.

This threat would force news ltd/fox right back to where they were when Super League was created.

I agree with Lego Man - this has as much teeth as Gallop's "use it or lose it" threat.

Hollow words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts