What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiderdave

First Grade
f**k that...I want all games brodcast advert free and in HD.

who cares what you want ?:?

for once think about the game you selfish wally

FTA all the way if the need arises ...
I like most ..don't give a stuff about a few ads

as long as we get paid what we are worth .. I don't care who does it
& that should be the attitude of all League fans

BDGS

Bench
This threat would make sense if the "start no other competitions" clause had been included before this IC was hastily arranged.

Are you for real?

Hasn't been hurried along from what i have seen, they have taken their time getting each area correct before going ahead.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nice to see Gallop grow some!

It is prob sabre rattling as I very much doubt 3 FTA channels would want to share RL and would be willing/able to pay $70mill each a year.

The poll is showing 75% of people cancelling subscriptions if Fox lose the rights, that would be a massive financial hit for them if it is mirrored across all RL subscribrers around the country.

Personally I'm with the above poster who would love to see some NRL on FTA but a dedicated RL channel on Fox showing NRL, SOO, Int's, NSW/Q'land cup combined knockout comp, SL, challenge cup, CC1, Toyota Cup and French RL in HD with blockbusters in 3D. Now that would be worth subscribing to!

Goddo

Bench
But a second Brisbane side would certainly drive subscriptions as they won't both be on FTA every week in Brisbane.

Exactly, yet there are some brain dead twats that can't see this. We want $1B? bring in Perth and Brisbane/Ipswich, play the networks against each other, negotiate hardball style and blackmail the sh!t out of them.

Its the only way to do so.

Parra

Referee
Are you for real?

Hasn't been hurried along from what i have seen, they have taken their time getting each area correct before going ahead.

It was worth getting right rather than race to an arbitrary deadline.

This sort of negotiation was why those clauses were so crucial.

Gallop can carry on all he likes - he seems to have forgotten that there is also a first-and-last bid clause with this commission as well.

So regardless of his hollow words, news ltd will have the last say.

And it will be this way until 2027.

Scorpio30

Bench
who cares what you want ?:?

for once think about the game you selfish wally

FTA all the way if the need arises ...
I like most ..don't give a stuff about a few ads

as long as we get paid what we are worth .. I don't care who does it
& that should be the attitude of all League fans

Well I care about what I want.

Who is "we"?

Raiderdave

First Grade
This threat would make sense if the "start no other competitions" clause had been included before this IC was hastily arranged.

This threat would force news ltd/fox right back to where they were when Super League was created.

I agree with Lego Man - this has as much teeth as Gallop's "use it or lose it" threat.

Hollow words.

we've all grown since the war
clubs .. players, fans ...

no one will fall for the same BS that was served up in 1995
if news threatens the entire game again because .. just because the game wants what its worth in rights

it will go very very badly for them
so the only hollow words here , are yours & anyone stupid enough to actually think another war would be fought again over this.:roll:

Parra

Referee

if news threatens the entire game again because .. just because the game wants what its worth in rights

so the only hollow words here , are yours & anyone stupid enough to actually think another war would be fought again over this.:roll:

But News would not agree to a clause that would acknowledge this. And the ARL caved in. Again.

So not trusting News Ltd is stupid now?

Have a look at the current news coming out of the British press.

Parra

Referee

There is always the first-and-last rights as well.

This really makes Gallops words hollow. Maybe you could fix that with an emoticon as well.

BDGS

Bench
It was worth getting right rather than race to an arbitrary deadline.

This sort of negotiation was why those clauses were so crucial.

Gallop can carry on all he likes - he seems to have forgotten that there is also a first-and-last bid clause with this commission as well.

So regardless of his hollow words, news ltd will have the last say.

And it will be this way until 2027.

This IC was done correctly, if they wanted to race to a deadline the IC would of been up and running last November.

Raiderdave

First Grade
But News would not agree to a clause that would acknowledge this. And the ARL caved in. Again.

So not trusting News Ltd is stupid now?

Have a look at the current news coming out of the British press.

if it were the only stumbling block to ridding ourselves of news
I'd of agreed to it too

now let news try & use this to their advantage :evil:

they won't
they would get pulverised .. making the whole point of rejecting it stupid
K ?;-)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't get the concern re first and last. Surely when it comes down to $'s it doesn't make any difference, just impacts on preferred provider?

Lets say Fox open with a $50mill bid, Ch7 offer $80mill, Fox then have to match or better it meaning we end up with same money.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Don't get the concern re first and last. Surely when it comes down to $'s it doesn't make any difference, just impacts on preferred provider?

Lets say Fox open with a $50mill bid, Ch7 offer $80mill, Fox then have to match or better it meaning we end up with same money.

exactly
some people have no idea around here .... none at all :roll:

all the first & last rights does is give 9's opposition the opportunity to put in a massive first up bid
9 has the right to be the " last " bidder provided it is higher then the other bids

its a non issue

HowHigh

Coach
If FTA television can get just 1 of the saturday games so we have footy to watch on fri/sat/sun I'll be happy.
3 games on 2 days just doesn't really seem like enough for people like me who don't have any pay tv.
Live games too please!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts