What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

babyg

Juniors
Brian Carney was the first person I thought of. His commentary/analysis is really good too.

beave

Coach
Channel 9/WIN's decision to not show the rabbits cowboys game live into QLD or at least NQ really f**king infuriates me. This is shit that needs to be sorted at the next TV rights deal because what has happened is ridiculous.

nrlnrl

First Grade
well it's your turn in QLD to suffer. Last week NSW fans were stuck with the Panthers v Tigers blockbuster ( rather than Cowboys v Broncos when Lockyer broke the record ). OT - but what about the NRL's pathetic celebration of the record ?

Tiger Hawk

Bench
"stuck with"

I'd say there would be more Panthers & Tigers fans in NSW that were interested in that game than NSW fans interested in Lockyer reaching 350 games. I was one of the them. I was also happy to watch the replay of the Bronx/Cows game at 9.30 and, funnily enough, didn't miss much in the way of a celebration, as you said.

Last edited:

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Is that the Irishman who played for the Knights?

yes.

Channel 9/WIN's decision to not show the rabbits cowboys game live into QLD or at least NQ really f**king infuriates me. This is shit that needs to be sorted at the next TV rights deal because what has happened is ridiculous.

To be fair WIN wanted to do it but I think something went wrong technically to do it.

It's unfortunate but at least you get to see a great game in the Storm vs Dragons anyway.

As a previous poster said, we had to deal with Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers last week.

AuDragon

Juniors
well it's your turn in QLD to suffer. Last week NSW fans were stuck with the Panthers v Tigers blockbuster ( rather than Cowboys v Broncos when Lockyer broke the record ). OT - but what about the NRL's pathetic celebration of the record ?
I've heard the NRL didn't want to steal the thunder from the Broncos, who have something special planned for the Manly game... ;-)

beave

Coach
yes.

To be fair WIN wanted to do it but I think something went wrong technically to do it.

It's unfortunate but at least you get to see a great game in the Storm vs Dragons anyway.

As a previous poster said, we had to deal with Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers last week.

this is issue shouldn't be about 'getting square' in the f**king over department boys, Cowboys Rabbitohs should be the QLD live game, no ifs or buts. I have had to sit through Bronco game after Bronco game all year and now we have to cop this shit???? It's not like the Cowboys Rabbitohs game has no significance, it probably has MORE significance than the game we are getting live on TV. I admire both the Dragons (well til their form slump I guess) and the Storm but tell me this is the correct decision for the QLD based audience???????

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
this is issue shouldn't be about 'getting square' in the f**king over department boys, Cowboys Rabbitohs should be the QLD live game, no ifs or buts. I have had to sit through Bronco game after Bronco game all year and now we have to cop this shit???? It's not like the Cowboys Rabbitohs game has no significance, it probably has MORE significance than the game we are getting live on TV. I admire both the Dragons (well til their form slump I guess) and the Storm but tell me this is the correct decision for the QLD based audience???????

I can't because I agree with you.

It was never my attention for you to take what I said in this fashion.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal

I am more concerned with the lack of live coverage into Melbourne of that game. To be fair the Storm rate reasonable in QLD. Prob due to having so many QLDer's

nrlnrl

First Grade

agree with you about the game choice totally, but my comment about QLD's turn to suffer was in jest

smithie

Juniors
Friday night ratings: Aug 19th, 2011

9 Nine’s Live Friday Night Football - Nine - 838,000 (Total) - 554,000 (Syd) - *** (Mel) - 285,000 (Bris) - *** (Adel) - *** (Per)

11 Seven’s AFL: Rnd 22: Carlton Vs Hawthorn - Seven - 726,000 (Total) - 16,000 (Syd) - 465,000 (Mel) - 5,000 (Bris) - 135,000 (Adel) - 105,000 (Per)

18 Nine’s Friday Night Football - Nine - 455,000 (Total) - 300,000 (Syd) - *** (Mel) - 155,000 (Bris) - *** (Adel) - *** (Per)

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/08/week-34-4.html

Brutus

Referee
So people think the Melbourne Storm don't rate in Sydney and Brisbane hey???

Highest rating NRL game in Sydney so far for the year.

And we are kidding if we don't at least get the same TV money as the fumbleball. We continue to smash them on the both Pay and FTA.

docbrown

Coach
And that game could have easily pulled 162,000 in Melbourne and cracked 1,000,000 if Nine wasn't run by morons.

Xfactor1979

Bench
I reckon if they relax the rules and let Foxsports show the games on Friday night as well as Nine (across the country meaning other states such as SA and WA get live games as well), like how Channel 7 is doing for the AFL, because the AFL has now sold every game of their regular season to Foxsports, it means FTA now picks the pieces of whatever game and show whatever game they want, whenever they want...

The non NRL states like WA, VIC or SA will also get live Foxsports Friday night NRL, they can keep the delayed telecasts for FTA, but if its on Foxsports it will increase the exposure of NRL in those states.

The only catch is if they had a more pub going culture in SA and WA because in those two states it tends to be a more family-oriented environment where families sit in front of the family couch on their friday night to watch AFL (even though its well and truly delayed). Nobody wants to buy Foxtel just for Foxsports they tend to watch Foxtel at the bar
... Well at least I do

However with the new AFL deal meaning that all AFL games will be live on foxsports it will entice those family types in WA and SA to want to get Foxsports more. this is the perfect opportunity for the NRL to jump aboard

jimmee007

Juniors
I was thinking about the advertising during live TV in the NRL and the problem with fitting ads in according to David Gyngell his idea of stopping the game live. Not sure if anyone has said this but here goes.

1. when televising the first half. start the game live on television during the telecast throw to a commercial and pause the coverage until the ad returns ( a single add during stoppages scrums line drop outs etc.) then return the game to the game as if it was live. I am guessing by half time you would be roughly 5-7 minutes behind.

2. lengthen half time from 10 mins to 15 mins. Meaning the TV network could catch up that time to start the second half live and still have the 10 minutes for analysis and commercials as they previously had. (no loss of revenue)

3. Introduce the minute break at the 20 minute mark like we do on hot days in early season (I have been to games when this has happened and also watched on TV and it hasn't bothered me at all). This allows for a 2 x 30 sec adds to be to be slotted into the second half before the 60th minute and to be caught up straight away. (this is outside the any other ads for tries being scored and injuries)

4. leave the last 20mins live to keep the fans happy with what is happening in the game.

In summary, lengthen half time to accomdate the game freeze, freeze the live game for ads in the first 60mins, introduce a minute break in 20th (this one allows more adds) and 60th minutes and the game can finish live on TV.

I believe this allows minimal disruption at the ground and give the networks the extra advertising dollars they need to give us the premium dollars our game deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.