What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xfactor1979

Bench
I was thinking about the advertising during live TV in the NRL and the problem with fitting ads in according to David Gyngell his idea of stopping the game live. Not sure if anyone has said this but here goes.

Ads!?!?!?!? :crazy:

Screw that! I'd rather watch Foxtel

Anyway In-Game advertising like digital banners which the commentators dont have to talk about, like how they fail at in the cricket is the way to go

Ie a promotion of CSI (thursdays @ 8.30), Underbelly or whatever

docbrown

Coach
Well delaying and resynching matches is one possibility. The main goal for both the networks and the NRL however is to have as many live games as possible.

I believe we will see longer breaks after tries given that it is a natural cathartic rest and this would require the use of 'resynching'. The conversion attempt would then be recorded and cut from just prior to the kick and then just after the flags are waved.

What would then happen is:
* A try would be scored.
* Cut to commercials.
* Whilst the commercial plays, the conversion attempt is made.
* The footage is tagged and cut in the workstream (without commentary) to the 10-15 second length.
* Commercials ends 15 seconds prior to kickoff restart.
* The edited conversion is shown. The commentators are signalled and watch the already recorded attempt on the monitor and narrate it.
* The recording ends and ref signalled for kick off resumption. The commentators look to the field and resume real time play commentary.

Very similar to how a replay is done.

And for reference here's NRL Stats chief executive Andrew Moufarrige's breakdown of stoppages:

art-Untitled-1-420x0.jpg

Now not every play would result in ad but they could bank upon an additional 10 minutes per game.

Last edited:

Xfactor1979

Bench
Dont make the games longer please, this is not AFL

I like the NRL in that respect, games are over and youre done with it, no B-s like in AFL where it goes on for another 17 hours after games are well and truly decided

Billythekid

First Grade
When the storm start getting shown in Melbourne our ratings are going to look fantastic.

I also get the feeling that when this happens and storm regular season games start hitting one million we will start seeing a lot more of the storm on Friday night.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Legal gag rules out footy broadcast

TOWNSVILLE BULLETIN | August 20th, 2011

THE NRL last night gagged Townsville community radio station Triple T from broadcasting a live call of the Cowboys v Rabbitohs match, having lawyers threaten the volunteer-run station with legal action.
The game's governing body promised to bring a damages claim against the station and this newspaper if both went ahead with a plan to have reporters call the blockbuster game from the grandstands of Sydney's ANZ Stadium.
Triple T and the Bulletin had reacted to community anger after rights-holders Channel 9 refused to televise the game live into Queensland and also prevented pay television and commercial radio from doing so.
The network ignored lobbying from community leaders and the Cowboys management.
Channel 9 broadcast the St George Illawarra Dragons v Melbourne Storm game live at 7.30 pm before a delayed, commercial-filled telecast of the North Queensland v South Sydney match at 9.30pm.
The NRL Partnership, in a letter from its law firm Kennedys to the Townsville Community Broadcasting Company Limited which runs Triple T, said ticket entry conditions prohibited spectators from broadcasting or telecasting games.
"As such, any attempt by any spectator at the match to provide you with any form of broadcasting feed, including by mobile phone, will be the plainest breach of the contractual terms upon which that spectator has been permitted to attend the match," it read.
"In these circumstances, if (TripleT) broadcasts any such material it will be liable to both the hirer of the venue, the South Sydney Rabbitohs, and the venue itself, ANZ Stadium, for damages arising from the wrongful inducement.
"We are instructed by the NRL Partnership to put (Triple T) on notice that it will hold (Triple T) liable for losses caused by any such unauthorised broadcast."
NRL chief executive David Gallop said he felt for Cowboys fans but that commercial rights agreements were binding.
"I can understand the frustration Cowboys fans are feeling and I sympathise with them," he said in a statement to the Bulletin.
"Regardless of what anyone thought of the television scheduling, however, there are clear rules in terms of conditions of entry and in terms of commercial rights that simply can't be ignored. It is important to remember commercial rights agreements are the very things that underpin the financial viability of our clubs."
North Queensland Newspapers general manager Michael Wilkins said the NRL's tough approach was frustrating. "It's disappointing the NRL took such a hard line against a community radio station trying to deliver a broadcast North Queenslanders want so badly," he said.
"We hope from the community reaction Nine and the NRL will appreciate this shouldn't happen again."
Triple T chairman Jorge Solano said the station and this newspaper were simply trying to bring the game to its fans. "We're a community radio station that was just trying to support the Cowboys and the fans," he said.
"All we wanted to do was get the game to the people. Why are they depriving us of that? They think we're just a country town. They underestimate us."

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2011/08/20/259091_news.html

f**k you NRL and channel 9

bobmar28

Bench
Friday night ratings: Aug 19th, 2011

9 Nine’s Live Friday Night Football - Nine - 838,000 (Total) - 554,000 (Syd) - *** (Mel) - 285,000 (Bris) - *** (Adel) - *** (Per)

11 Seven’s AFL: Rnd 22: Carlton Vs Hawthorn - Seven - 726,000 (Total) - 16,000 (Syd) - 465,000 (Mel) - 5,000 (Bris) - 135,000 (Adel) - 105,000 (Per)

18 Nine’s Friday Night Football - Nine - 455,000 (Total) - 300,000 (Syd) - *** (Mel) - 155,000 (Bris) - *** (Adel) - *** (Per)

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/08/week-34-4.html

Based on those numbers a 1 billion dollar contract for NRL will be a bit too low.

bobmar28

Bench
I was thinking about the advertising during live TV in the NRL and the problem with fitting ads in according to David Gyngell his idea of stopping the game live. Not sure if anyone has said this but here goes.

1. when televising the first half. start the game live on television during the telecast throw to a commercial and pause the coverage until the ad returns ( a single add during stoppages scrums line drop outs etc.) then return the game to the game as if it was live. I am guessing by half time you would be roughly 5-7 minutes behind.

2. lengthen half time from 10 mins to 15 mins. Meaning the TV network could catch up that time to start the second half live and still have the 10 minutes for analysis and commercials as they previously had. (no loss of revenue)

3. Introduce the minute break at the 20 minute mark like we do on hot days in early season (I have been to games when this has happened and also watched on TV and it hasn't bothered me at all). This allows for a 2 x 30 sec adds to be to be slotted into the second half before the 60th minute and to be caught up straight away. (this is outside the any other ads for tries being scored and injuries)

4. leave the last 20mins live to keep the fans happy with what is happening in the game.

In summary, lengthen half time to accomdate the game freeze, freeze the live game for ads in the first 60mins, introduce a minute break in 20th (this one allows more adds) and 60th minutes and the game can finish live on TV.

I believe this allows minimal disruption at the ground and give the networks the extra advertising dollars they need to give us the premium dollars our game deserves.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm ok with all of that. The last 20 m live means the network could time it to lead in to the news on Sunday.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Well delaying and resynching matches is one possibility. The main goal for both the networks and the NRL however is to have as many live games as possible.

I believe we will see longer breaks after tries given that it is a natural cathartic rest and this would require the use of 'resynching'. The conversion attempt would then be recorded and cut from just prior to the kick and then just after the flags are waved.

What would then happen is:
* A try would be scored.
* Cut to commercials.
* Whilst the commercial plays, the conversion attempt is made.
* The footage is tagged and cut in the workstream (without commentary) to the 10-15 second length.
* Commercials ends 15 seconds prior to kickoff restart.
* The edited conversion is shown. The commentators are signalled and watch the already recorded attempt on the monitor and narrate it.
* The recording ends and ref signalled for kick off resumption. The commentators look to the field and resume real time play commentary.

Very similar to how a replay is done.

And for reference here's NRL Stats chief executive Andrew Moufarrige's breakdown of stoppages:

art-Untitled-1-420x0.jpg

Now not every play would result in ad but they could bank upon an additional 10 minutes per game.

thanks for the detailed input as always, but just curious where you got the NRL Stats info from ?

Serc

First Grade
If you check the url of the NRL Stats image...you will see its from an article the SMH posted recently (posted in this thread I'm pretty sure) :)

docbrown

Coach
If you check the url of the NRL Stats image...you will see its from an article the SMH posted recently (posted in this thread I'm pretty sure) :)

That's correct. Andrew Moufarrige has circulated an idea to NRL and Club execs about how to make the game more profitable by utilising existing stoppages.

Perth Red

Post Whore
before heading too far down this road I suggest you sit through a live game of NFL and see how much ad breaks every opportunity disrupt viewing pleasure!

Billythekid

First Grade
before heading too far down this road I suggest you sit through a live game of NFL and see how much ad breaks every opportunity disrupt viewing pleasure!

Yes because having a short break before scrums or drop outs is the same as a 48 minute game that goes for like 3-4 hours.

I don't want us to change anything to significant. However i think we can add in a few extra stoppages (many are there already we just don't use them) and still have more actual game time than just about any other team sport.

taipan

Referee

If we get $1bn plus on the next Tv deal,I will be pleasured,even if it means Gould spruiking hair dye.:D

Quidgybo

Bench
Not much at all. But then I don't watch American Football expecting to see a non stop game like League that I need to concentrate on to not miss anything. It's more like cricket, with lots of standing around and an ad every six balls, but it can still be enjoyed because it allows you to tune in and out without missing anything.

Leigh

gallagher

Juniors
Seeing as ch9 only do 3 out of 5 games and only one of them is live, should we be changing the fabric of the game just for those pr*cks? Are fox wanting to put ads in during the game?

Billythekid

First Grade
Not much at all. But then I don't watch American Football expecting to see a non stop game like League that I need to concentrate on to not miss anything. It's more like cricket, with lots of standing around and an ad every six balls, but it can still be enjoyed because it allows you to tune in and out without missing anything.

Leigh

If the NRL ever became remotely similar to the NFL in terms of breaks i would give the game up. The NFL is alright to tune into when there is no rugby league but it's nowhere near as exciting.

We can make ourselves more attractive to advertisers without ruining what makes our sport so great.

Status
Not open for further replies.