What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmar28

Bench
One of the most transparent things about Foxtel is their pandering to AFL and the rights.

They issued a statement at their shareholders meeting, which looks like it was intended to put the NRL on the back foot. Basically the nuffie in charge spruiked how important the AFL games going live on Foxtel meant as it would give them a push in sunbsrcription in the "southern states".

Newsflash to Foxtel, lose th rights to NRL and watch subscription plummet and lose 73 of your top 100 rating programmes, they are very biased and underhand. Ticks me off no end.

Me too. I'm sure their CEO is a fan of AFL. For the last contract they paid overs for the AFL and put them on Fox 1 meaning they are on the big screen at all licensed clubs.
Now they have paid a massive amount for fumbleball again. If they don't pay at least as much for NRL then let FTA have it at a discount I say.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i wouldn't read much into it but this is a bizarre tweet from a Ten reporter to a Nine reporter

Pic_normal.jpg

lachlan_kennedy Lachlan Kennedy @

@Erin_Molan I'm gold mate. Loving you on the Footy Show. Doing an excellent job!! Can't wait to have you here when 10 buys the NRL rights :)

13 Aug

http://twitter.com/#!/lachlan_kennedy/status/102241647257059328

docbrown

Coach
Channel Ten have been approaching talent on the quiet.

An English Super League announcer with an Australian connection has also been contacted and is definitely interested.

Ray Mosters

Juniors

An English Super League announcer with an Australian connection has also been contacted and is definitely interested.
Just awesome news, doc

10 being in the running in a meaningful way is the last piece of a billion dollar puzzle...

smithie

Juniors
Chessell would have to be one of the most despised journos working at the Australian and he is there to push an agenda.

PMG's plan has always been to secure all games live in order to retain their current body of subscriptions. However they need to do it as part of a package in conjunction with a F2A broadcaster.

I have it on good authority that Channel 10 have already met with PMG to discuss a potential advertising revenue trade off scheme. Basically 10 would sacrifice a share of the direct revenue and give it subscription for the first few years of the contract. In turn, PMG would partially ensure the loan agreement for 10 to outbid 9 and they'd go in together. Nothing has changed, the strategy is going ahead. Do not be surprised to see a Friday Night doubleheader on Ten and a Sunday Afternoon doubleheader on Nine with all games live on a dedicated Fox channel.

Does this mean no FTA Monday Night Football?

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Do you-

a) Work for 10?

or

b) the newcastle herald?

You know far too much to not be in the media somewhere.

nrlnrl

First Grade

if it's on the quiet, how do you know ? - really good hearing to pick up their whispers

nrlnrl

First Grade
Do you-

a) Work for 10?

or

b) the newcastle herald?

exactly....Doc is a great source of info on all things related to the tv rights & tv industry, but.....I think you know the forum benefits from your input, so maybe we should just appreciate it.

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
I think people are over reacting to the Foxtel / Fox Sports approach. They had to deal with AFL first because the deal was up for grabs first. Once the IC is formed they ( and others ) will be more apparent with their eagerness to grab pieces of the rugby league pie. They know that rugby league is a winner on tv.

docbrown

Coach
Do you-
a) Work for 10?
or
b) the newcastle herald?

The Newcastle Herald??

Eww.....

I think people are over reacting to the Foxtel / Fox Sports approach. They had to deal with AFL first because the deal was up for grabs first. Once the IC is formed they ( and others ) will be more apparent with their eagerness to grab pieces of the rugby league pie. They know that rugby league is a winner on tv.

This.

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts