What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmar28

Bench
before heading too far down this road I suggest you sit through a live game of NFL and see how much ad breaks every opportunity disrupt viewing pleasure!

An NFL game can go for as long as 4 hours. We are talking about adding 10 minutes to the average NRL game. Still less than 2 hrs including an extended half time.

bobmar28

Bench
Seeing as ch9 only do 3 out of 5 games and only one of them is live, should we be changing the fabric of the game just for those pr*cks? Are fox wanting to put ads in during the game?

This is not about channel nine. It's about getting the best bids from all networks and we need to be able to offer them something that will make them a profit, otherwise why would they shell out a billion dollars?

nyx

Juniors
I see Ch9 are broadcasting the Rugby live into Melbourne on GEM HD again.

They're ignoring all our questions on FB as to why they can't do the same for Storm games.

What a massive f*ck you to Rugby League, the game that has carried them in the ratings all these years.

gallagher

Juniors
This is not about channel nine. It's about getting the best bids from all networks and we need to be able to offer them something that will make them a profit, otherwise why would they shell out a billion dollars?
Actually I think it is just about 9, they're the only ones that have floated the idea. FOX show most games and do it ad-free so we should be listening to them if anyone. Ch9 not showing games nationally should eliminate them from all discussions IMO.

Brutus

Referee
I cannot beleive they are not showing Friday night Storm games on Gem or GO into Melbourne.

An utter disgrace.

rednblack

Juniors
not on the main keyboard

dickwad

Settle down princess!
Just because you were wrong doesn't give you the right to get aggressive.
The fact is, the two keys ARE adjacent, and you made an inaccurate claim in order to belittle a fellow poster. Whether you agree with him or not, he addressed and corrected his typo, now grow up and move on!

And if you really want to knit pick, check out your own post from yesterday at 6:15pm. Outstanding command of the english language right there! If you truly MUST be so juvenile as to concentrate on matters of spelling, grammar and typos, then a) be sure your own posts are all perfect, and b) you probably don't belong here. There are wider issues being discussed, surely you understand that, right?
Something about stones and glass houses comes to mind...

docbrown

Coach
before heading too far down this road I suggest you sit through a live game of NFL and see how much ad breaks every opportunity disrupt viewing pleasure!

I think that's a slightly alarmist statement. I also find it surprising considering how NFL is pretty much the television sport in America, despite the network's interference.

The difference with the NRL is that these are existing natural breaks. They won't have to slow down the game. I mean what are you missing out - 13 players standing around waiting to kick a line out that takes 30 seconds? Or a scrum formation?

I've even said the best thing to do is for the NRL to trial it at the All Stars and get fans reactions.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It interrupts the flow of watching the game. Watch a highlights NFL game with very few adds then watch a live one and you'll see what I mean. The former is far more enjoyable. Heck i won't even watch normal TV anymore as the constant ads do my head in just as you are getting into the program. We already have situations where they don't cut back in time and the live action has started. Short of the time keeper controlling when play can restart we would see this much more. AFL didn't get its deal because it pandered to advertising on TV, it got it because it sold all its games live to Fox.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I think that's a slightly alarmist statement. I also find it surprising considering how NFL is pretty much the television sport in America, despite the network's interference.

The difference with the NRL is that these are existing natural breaks. They won't have to slow down the game. I mean what are you missing out - 13 players standing around waiting to kick a line out that takes 30 seconds? Or a scrum formation?

I've even said the best thing to do is for the NRL to trial it at the All Stars and get fans reactions.

Doc - not sure what you mean here ?

El Diablo

Post Whore
think he's talking about having an ad break before a goal line dropout and it comes back roughly soon as the player kicks the ball

you don't have to stop play to fit in the ad

docbrown

Coach
think he's talking about having an ad break before a goal line dropout and it comes back roughly soon as the player kicks the ball

you don't have to stop play to fit in the ad

Yes, just a typo. You're not missing any "action" or delaying any "action".

It interrupts the flow of watching the game. Watch a highlights NFL game with very few adds then watch a live one and you'll see what I mean. The former is far more enjoyable. Heck i won't even watch normal TV anymore as the constant ads do my head in just as you are getting into the program. We already have situations where they don't cut back in time and the live action has started. Short of the time keeper controlling when play can restart we would see this much more. AFL didn't get its deal because it pandered to advertising on TV, it got it because it sold all its games live to Fox.

Well technically the AFL pandered to television back in the early nineties in order to put it on the footing it is today.

When they talking about reducing quarters, they're not going to reduce the coverage time. That "saved time" will mostly be advertising.

I really don't think the flow of the rugby league game will be interrupted but like I said wait until it's trialled before making any finally judgments.

A live game inserted with ads won't even be as bad as our current Sunday game. I watched a 10 commercial block before a scrum reset yesterday. You won't get that with a live game, hence the requirement for natural breaks.

bobmar28

Bench
Actually I think it is just about 9, they're the only ones that have floated the idea. FOX show most games and do it ad-free so we should be listening to them if anyone. Ch9 not showing games nationally should eliminate them from all discussions IMO.

I'm sure they are talking to all networks.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...nrl-on-tv-rights/story-e6frg7mf-1226119974103

Delay on panel may help NRL on TV rights

Stuart Honeysett
August 23, 2011 12:00AM

THE lengthy delay in establishing the game's inaugural independent commission could prove to be a blessing in disguise when it comes time to formally negotiate the next broadcast deal, according to media consultant Colin Smith.

The eight commissioners will gather for the first time today for an induction at the NRL's headquarters at Moore Park where they will be given a state of the game address by league boss David Gallop covering some of the code's burning issues.

Smith has been advising the NRL over its next broadcast arrangement, which will start in 2013, and has a meeting scheduled with the commissioners within the next month to bring them up to speed on the situation. It has been reported the rights might not be finalised for another 12 months.

While the game has been frustrated at the prolonged negotiations between the ARL and News Limited (publishers of The Australian) over the formation of the commission, Smith said it could actually work in the game's favour for TV rights with the NRL enjoying a stellar season.

"Pay television numbers are fantastic and are up 17 per cent; we've got records in State of Origin with just under 17 million viewers; the live telecasts are really good, and they are all pluses in terms of saying people want to watch rugby league," Smith said. "The numbers now being provided are a real bonus to negotiating those media rights - no question about it.

"The process with an independent commission has been a real plus and there's some real good people on that commission, which will make the process even stronger."

It was reported last month after a NRL chief executives meeting the game could net as much as $1.4 billion for its next TV deal over five years, which would dwarf the $1.253 million deal the AFL received but broadcasters were quick to dismiss that figure.

Smith has told only two officials at the NRL what he believes the game is worth over five years - anywhere between $1bn and $1.2bn is the most likely figure - but he said he would pass on a recommendation to the commissioners on its value when he addresses them.

"It will be a very significant increase but that's all I've said," Smith said. "We're trying to do some things to make it attractive to the broadcasters. I'll tell the commission some evolving ranges depending on outcomes."

The eight commissioners - chairman John Grant, Catherine Harris, Ian Elliott, Peter Gregg, Gary Pemberton, Jeremy Sutcliffe, Wayne Pearce and Chris Sarra - are expected to formally take their place on the commission on November 1.

Television rights won't be the only topic of discussion for them today with Gallop to provide information on other areas of the game including the collective bargaining agreement, the salary cap, the season structure and expansion.

"It's an opportunity for us to present them with a snapshot of where the game is at," Gallop said. "There will be representations across all the areas of the business.

"While there are still around 20 issues to be resolved between the ARL and News, we can use the meeting to make sure that the commission hits the ground running once it is formally in place."

Rugby League Players' Association chief executive David Garnsey said he had also put a request to the NRL to meet with Grant at a convenient time to discuss a number of the players' concerns including an increase in the minimum wage.

"There are probably player specific issues, there are probably game specific issues and there are probably RLPA issues," Garnsey said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts