What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletus

First Grade
Its not good news for the rights deal. Seven can't bid at all for the NRL, Ten probably won't compete with Fox for sat night and Nine is up to their eyeballs in debt. Hopefully Nine will be.desperate to keep the NRL before they list.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Lets complain Seven are therefore breaching the anti siphoning legislation...

What if your a massive AFL fan and have no Fox or No HD TV

El Diablo

Post Whore
Lets complain Seven are therefore breaching the anti siphoning legislation...

What if your a massive AFL fan and have no Fox or No HD TV

they aren't if Conroy gives an exemption

prime do it every friday for AFL

Seven got an exemption to show Wimbledon on 7 Two

9 could get one for Origin but won't ask

BDGS

Bench
Where does it say ten are interested in Saturday games?

Also, seven didn't pay more for the AFL rights this time around, they have plenty in the bank to throw at SOO and the NRL.

NrlCoach

Juniors
Wily Fox's tactics would've left Moose flabbergasted

Roy Masters

June 24, 2011

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...abbergasted-20110623-1ghkb.html#ixzz1Q110atvv

The recent passing of renowned commentator Rex Mossop brings into focus the debate over scheduling of NRL matches, particularly the controversial timing of the match between St George Illawarra and Manly on Monday night. When Mossop ruled the Channel Seven airwaves in the late 1970s, there were only two games televised from the six available. As they do today, the networks chose the matches. Channel Seven had first pick - a Sunday afternoon match - leaving the second-best match exclusively for Saturdays, and televised by the ABC.

Quite often, Mondays and Tuesdays were spent in long negotiations with club sponsors to determine how highly they valued having their brands promoted on Sydney's TV sets on a Sunday afternoon. Advertisement: Story continues below If talks involving, say, Wests' naming rights sponsor Victa, or St George's Penfolds Wines, laboured late, it wasn't until Tuesday evening that a club knew on which day it would play. A Saturday game meant Thursday evening was the only other training session before the match.

Today, all eight matches are televised and shared between Channel Nine and Fox Sports. Nine has picks one, two and five, allocating them to the double-header on Friday night and its Sunday afternoon game. Fox Sports uses its third pick for the top-rating Monday night football.
Teams playing Monday night cannot back up on Friday night. This means Fox Sports' third pick can cut Nine out of a top Friday night match in the following round.

The furore over the match at WIN Stadium on Monday night should be viewed in this context. An NRL spokesman confirmed that if Nine had wanted to preserve this match for tonight, it would have needed to block Fox Sports out weeks ago with successive Friday night choices of the Dragons and Sea Eagles. As it transpired, the Dragons did play three successive Friday night matches from rounds 13 to 15. But last Monday night's match against the Eels prevented them playing tonight.

The NRL's Nathan McGuirk confirmed that the jockeying between the broadcasters for upcoming matches was as tactical as the battle on the field. ''Sometimes you need a forward pick to block a network taking a game you may later want,'' he said. ''Nine would have had to pick the round 15 Sea Eagles versus Eels for Friday night to guarantee Manly play the next Friday night. ''But in April, when the choice was made, the Dragons versus Manly match wasn't the game it is now.''
It assumed such importance in the mind of NSW coach Ricky Stuart, he used the press conference after his team's victory in State of Origin II to argue the Blues involved in the Origin decider should stand down. NRL chief executive David Gallop responded by suggesting Origin be played on Monday nights. Gallop insists this was mainly related to the issue of burnout, particularly with players having to back up for a Friday match only 48 hours after the Origin game.

If Origin were played on Monday nights, the representative players would have four days' rest instead of two. But don't existing NRL scheduling protocols say that clubs - as opposed to players - can't play on Friday if they have played on Monday? Asked if his suggestion about Monday night Origin was designed to further pressure Fox Sports into giving more value in the next broadcasting contract, Gallop said: ''We are certainly interested in having Monday night football valued appropriately, particularly considering the ratings results this year. ''Gallop's sabre rattling is a reminder to the network that when it paid $42 million for the right to televise five games live a week, Monday night football wasn't the ratings winner it is now.

When clubs complained Monday night games were affecting their gates, Fox Sports gave the home club a paltry compensation of $10,000 a game. Foxtel has just given the AFL $130m :crazy: a year, and allows the AFL to control match scheduling. If the NRL controlled scheduling, there could be no Monday night games over the Origin period; the Warriors could play Friday nights after Origin and, to overcome teams such as Parramatta having a 17-day gap between games, clubs coming off the bye could play Thursday nights.

Former players were disappointed this week to learn Nine had chosen a round 22 match between Wests Tigers and the Dragons, pencilled in for the SCG on Sunday, August 7, as a Friday night match, disrupting their plans for a reunion lunch.
Still, six weeks' warning is better than it was in Rex's day.

Brutus

Referee
Interesting to hear yesterday that if you watch a Foxtel program for five minutes or more it gets registered as a viewer. This happens for anyone with a set top box.

So please don't accidently leave it on the fumbleball.

TheRam

Coach
Interesting to hear yesterday that if you watch a Foxtel program for five minutes or more it gets registered as a viewer. This happens for anyone with a set top box.

Duly noted, but I don't think that I have ever left it on that crap for more then a second or two. I don't think my mind could take it. No really, I just couldn't. Errr...I feel sick just thinking about it. :sick:

Raiderdave

First Grade

yep

Foxtel mix around the sports a fair bit on their 3 sports channels
you can be watching an NRL game/ show .. switch back to FTA after leaving it on that Channel , then go back later .. & theres a mongaball game on .. & its been on for quite a while :shock::?:x

It will be easier next year when they have a dedicated channel for kick n giggle
& thats the only place you'll get it to watch it , so less chance of a mistake like the above

we can't effect their 2012-2016 deal .. its done
but we can get foxtel execs scratchin their heads goin " so where are all these AFL veiwers that are supposed to be hiding somwwhere ?" :eek:
& bugga up their next deal quite nicely :)

bobmar28

Bench
I think that's similar to the link I posted. Anyways, I was surprised that Ch7 didn't offload 2 of their games, preferably the Saturday arvo and Sunday arvo as they are the two lower rating timeslots. So, they will have a Friday Night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon game. Only the Saturday arvo game will be delayed, the other three are live.

Nobody wanted them.

juro

Bench
Whether or not channel 7 or 10 are serious in their attempts to get the NRL is surely not the issue. They are direct rivals of channel 9 and want to make sure that if 9 get the rights, they have to pay as much as possible for it, thus weakening them for whatever else they do with programming.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
Where does it say ten are interested in Saturday games?

Also, seven didn't pay more for the AFL rights this time around, they have plenty in the bank to throw at SOO and the NRL.
Actually they did, this time they have paid the entire FTA component whereas last time they split it with 10. They are paying ALOT more this time.

But that doesent matter, they have new revenue sources from beyond broadcasting that they are looking to invest in improving the network.

They should be able to make a very serious bid even though they are paying for 4 high priced AFL games.

undertaker

Coach
Nobody wanted them.

I assume they (by they, I mean Ch9 and 10) didn't fancy the prospect of having to fork out a crapload of money to broadcast the same game with Foxtel, as well as compete with another Foxtel game. Also, as I have already said, if Ch7 did offload two games, they would've been the Sat arvo and Sun arvo game as those are in the two lower-rating timeslots. Considering that Sun arvo footy will be live at 3pm, this overlaps with the 1pm and 4:30pm Sunday games on Fox, as well as Fox also broadcasting the same 3pm game. From what I have been reading, this decision has already caused a lot of problems regarding travelling in Melbourne, as well as some grounds like Geelong's Skilled Stadium that don't have adequate lights which will be a problem in the winter months with the earlier sunsets. Also, with the Sat arvo game being delayed at 3pm with a chocablock load of ads (that's what the Melbournians have been complaining about with Ch7's delayed telecasts into the Southern states), that's a diabolical decision from Ch7. Why put up with that when ppl with Fox can watch it live an hour earlier at 2pm?

So, what was there for Ch9 and 10 to gain out of that? They were smart enough not to touch it with a 50 foot pole

I'm sure Ch7 have a lot of money and won't be surprised if they managed to scalp some rugby league games. As I said, they will be desperate to, as they are going record an even bigger loss from this next AFL rights deal, considering that they have paid a lot more since they are broadcasting 4 games this time instead of 2, and this time, live against Fox. FTA and FTA viewers are the losers here, whereas Foxtel and their viewing audience are the winners. In the previous tv rights with Ch9/10/Fox that ended in 2006, FTA had 5 out of 8 games (63%). From next year, they'll only have 4 out of 9 (44%). Those outside of Victoria still may face lengthy delays (e.g. Adelaide had a home Sunday game that was broadcast delayed on FTA by 4 hours).

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench

That's good to know, every time im watching Fox Sports News and the they turn to an AFL story i switch it off.

BDGS

Bench
yep

Foxtel mix around the sports a fair bit on their 3 sports channels
you can be watching an NRL game/ show .. switch back to FTA after leaving it on that Channel , then go back later .. & theres a mongaball game on .. & its been on for quite a while :shock::?:x

You don't have FTA channels on your foxtel?

Brutus

Referee
That's good to know, every time im watching Fox Sports News and the they turn to an AFL story i switch it off.

So next time you switch over to check how poor a GC Suns home crowd really is, don't leave it on for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.