What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kurt faulk

Coach
Why didn't news just go to packer and buy 3 or 4 games ? He wasn't showing them all anyway

i think murdoch thought it was gonna be easier doing it his way.

didn't he get a rude shock.

still rugby league ended up paying for it in the end. he absolutely raped the sport.

nko11

Juniors
Just wondering if Toyota Cup games could be sold to networks for a bit? Could be quite attractive for their digital channels.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
They are talking a big game at the moment, but I seriously dont think 10 will end up with any league, and wont be involved beyond a possible opening barrage. They dropped AFL exactly because it was high priced. If things go right, the NRL will be high priced as well. Whoever ends up getting it will be paying through the nose. At least, that is the hope.

Exciting times though. 3 networks and a cashed up PayTV operator all circling.

My gut feel is still that 9 will open with a large bid, it will be pushed way up by 7, and 9 will match it.

Packy

Bench
A millions pages so I CBF going through them all.

Has there been discussion regarding a possible time off when the ball is out of play? Clearly it would need to be very short (30 secs or so) to keep the natural flow of the game going but in this time they could pump an add or 2 in. Would help make live games more profitable. It wouldn't really mean we lost much in terms of what the players do but it would increase the length of games which may cause a problem.

beave

Coach
I said this in another post a few months ago, but what about increasing the half length to 50 mins?? It will eliminate the need to drop the interchange by 2 down to 8 interchanges as a few people have been championing as the extra bit of fatigue created by the extra time so you would just keep the interchange as is, the major benefit is that it will allow more time for ads during the game for free to air games. I will be honest, when I am at a game the first 30 mins goes so damn fast, it only leaves 10 mins til half time. I just find our game goes so damn fast. With extra advertising time created, surely it would get the code some more coin???

bluesbreaker

Bench
I think another 10 minutes each half and you'd have;

- 6 forwards feeling like they're deadset on deaths door
- A multitude of players running off to a soft sport like afl or union or tiddlywinks
- A player revolt
- very scrappy play toward the end of each half

But on the positive side;

- the broadcasters would love it
- the fans at the game would love it

Maybe not such a bad idea after all :?
Would 100 minutes per game make RL the longest form of contact sport in the world?

bluesbreaker

Bench
how about increasing the half time length by another 5 minutes or so? Squeeze in a few more ads, more time to empty your dick, more time to get another beer etc

beave

Coach
In regards to the forwards getting tired with an increase to half length, it might actually make some of the other players *cough wingers *cough get more involved and take more onus on relieving the boppers. I know that wingers these days get involved a hell of a lot more than those in the past, but they aren't doing a lot of that real tough stuff in defence that is highly tiring. They have to do some tweaks here and there but at the end of the day, Rugby League is a damn great sport that deserves better treatment from the administrators, slight tweaks like lenghtening the halves may get the code a billion $$$$...... Who knows It's all good convo i guess........

Gippsy

Bench
An easy way to lenghten the game, if thats the way to go, is to have time off for shots at goal, conversions, drop outs & when the ball goes into touch. Plenty of time to whack an ad in during the time off, it won't disrupt the game much and gives the players a bit of a spell.

BDGS

Bench
An easy way to lenghten the game, if thats the way to go, is to have time off for shots at goal, conversions, drop outs & when the ball goes into touch. Plenty of time to whack an ad in during the time off, it won't disrupt the game much and gives the players a bit of a spell.

The only problem with that is, some games will go for longer then others.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, i reckon they should do it. But as something to take to the broadcasters and say "look at this, give us more money" it won't work.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Do you really think greedy networks haven't already packed in every second of ads that they possibly can? Or do you think they leave possible adtime unfilled out of the goodness of their heart because they care about the viewing expierience?

There is a rule in tv advertising, you can't just keep packing in ads and remain profitable because eventually it turns away viewers. If that wasn't the case every channel would be 24/7 ads.

The FTA channels put in more ads, they lose viewers, they get paid less for those ads.

All your clever little ideas for more adtime would have been implemented by now if they were profitable by people whose fulltime job is to maximise adtime and adrevenue.

bluesbreaker

Bench
In regards to the forwards getting tired with an increase to half length, it might actually make some of the other players *cough wingers *cough get more involved and take more onus on relieving the boppers. I know that wingers these days get involved a hell of a lot more than those in the past, but they aren't doing a lot of that real tough stuff in defence that is highly tiring. They have to do some tweaks here and there but at the end of the day, Rugby League is a damn great sport that deserves better treatment from the administrators, slight tweaks like lenghtening the halves may get the code a billion $$$$...... Who knows It's all good convo i guess........

I agree 100% on most everything, especially the underlined bit that i've been harping on about now since I started coming back here... I just think the players would go absolutely mental over it.

And Aku Uate is our best Prop by far ;).

undertaker

Coach

I think that's similar to the link I posted. Anyways, I was surprised that Ch7 didn't offload 2 of their games, preferably the Saturday arvo and Sunday arvo as they are the two lower rating timeslots. So, they will have a Friday Night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon game. Only the Saturday arvo game will be delayed, the other three are live.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I think that's similar to the link I posted. Anyways, I was surprised that Ch7 didn't offload 2 of their games, preferably the Saturday arvo and Sunday arvo as they are the two lower rating timeslots. So, they will have a Friday Night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon game. Only the Saturday arvo game will be delayed, the other three are live.

they will rate even lower now saeein Fox will broadcast all games live ad free

undertaker

Coach
they will rate even lower now saeein Fox will broadcast all games live ad free

After everything that has transpired, I'd HAVE to think that Ch7 will be desperate (to what extent, I don't know) to get some rugby league matches, whether it'd be State of Origin or whatever.

They already made a loss from AFL during this tv rights deal, and even after bidding less for the 2012-2016 rights, they will lose even more money now that they not only have to broadcast 3 of the 4 games live, but: 1) they will be live against Foxtel who will also broadcast the Ch7 matches 2) on Sat arvo, Sat Night and Sun arvo, Ch7 will also be going head-to-head against ANOTHER 2 matches on Foxtel (another Sat arvo and night game, as well as the Sat twilight match, and the two other matches on Sunday). The biggest killer for Ch7 will be having to show the Friday Night game live, as that is the highest rating timeslot and they will have to show it in place of the high rating Better Homes and Gardens which outrates the AFL 99% of the time. No wonder why Leckie wasn't happy when the $1.25 billion deal was announced.

As I posted in another thread, it was stated in a newspaper a while back that Ch7 has to get 700,000 viewers in Melbourne alone just to break even for a live AFL broadcast. Before the 2012 draw is announced, I can already see that Ch7 will be keen to have Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond as much as they can on FN to try and maximise ratings. Having any games inter-state or any inter-state teams in that timeslot is going to be a high-risk move. I can only see the high-drawing marquee matches shaking that 700,000 figure, but any other ordinary matches like Melbourne vs North Melbourne etc. are going to flop big time. Intentcity (or whatever his name is in The Fight Club thread) may claim that the live broadcasts are going to increase ratings, but with Ch7 going head-to-head against Foxtel, the big winners are Foxtel and those that have Foxtel. This is going to severely dilute Ch7's ratings, which is another motivating reason why Ch7 will be keen to get some rugby league action, as has been stated in another link, "NRL tv rights are profitable, AFL isn't". On the topic of dilution, with the Swans ratings going the way they are, I'd hate to think how GWS will go overall next year, as well as the effect GWS will have on the Swans already dire ratings especially if the Swans are languishing near the bottom of the table.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts