What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

beave

Coach
closer to 1bn is fine, we don't need 1.25 as our squads are smaller and we won't have 5-6 clubs bleeding cash on a yearly basis needing major prop ups by the NRL like the AFL are doing.

Edwahu

Bench
I'd be happy with 1 billion but the "national" reach of AFL is a myth. Regional NRL areas are twice the size of the AFL and NRL FNF beats AFL friday night football by hundreds of thousands most weeks nationally. That's the case even if you include estimates for all the missing viewers in WA, TAS that are not counted in the initial ratings.

Unfortunately these viewers are not worth the same dollars as metro but you cant deny they exist.

beave

Coach
why aren't they worth the same as the metros though???

People will still drink piss, eat takeaway, go to Bunnings, buy a car, need insurance regardless of where they live in a regional area or the big smoke. I am no advertising guru, so i am sure someone with more knowledge on this will no doubt enlighten me.

applesauce

Bench
If Telstra want a national presence they can go and buy the IPTV rights for Iron Chef.

Pretty average article...

Can someone remind me why it is called the TELSTRA NRL premiership and the AFL the TOYOTA AFL premiership....?:roll:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Reads more like a wishlist really, and conveniently ignores facts that doesn't suit his argument. For instance no mere mention of our trump card, the Origin series.

Fact is, most RL supporters would be happy to get around the billion mark. It would certainly be enough to secure our games future in this part of the world.

It's a well known and established fact that aussie rules is a far more expensive game to run.

Edwahu

Bench

People will still drink piss, eat takeaway, go to Bunnings, buy a car, need insurance regardless of where they live in a regional area or the big smoke. I am no advertising guru, so i am sure someone with more knowledge on this will no doubt enlighten me.

They actually have more disposable income then metro viewers. The problem is the big networks dont broadcast into rural areas, its all affiliates like WIN. The metro networks onsell content to the affiliates for 30-40% of ad revenue.

BunniesMan

Immortal

What Edwahu said was right. The big broadcasters are what matters, and they couldn't care less about what rates outside the capitals because their affiliates handle that.

What the big broadcasters think is important is what matters, and for them eyeballs in the suburbs of Sydney are twice as important as eyeballs out in the bush.

Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide. Those are the places that matter in the world of TV.

beave

Coach
They actually have more disposable income then metro viewers. The problem is the big networks dont broadcast into rural areas, its all affiliates like WIN. The metro networks onsell content to the affiliates for 30-40% of ad revenue.

More disposable income.............. geez I don't know about that. How high are the house prices in Sydney????? Some mortgages I have seen my mates down there have are ridiculous, they are slaves to their house/unit. The pretty much have no life, I know some wages down there are pretty high, but not everyone down there is on bulk coin.

docbrown

Coach

They actually have more disposable income then metro viewers.

Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide. Those are the places that matter in the world of TV.

It's not 1990 any more.

You can't have a national brand and not advertise in regional markets. The big 3 FTA networks already own multiple regional stations and make an income from them. The fact that Seven, Ten and Foxtel have/are seeking to buy out the remainder of their regional affiliates is a testament to the shifting dynamic that has taken place over the past 20 years.

The divide between the capitals and regionals is a myth.

docbrown

Coach
Reads more like a wishlist really, and conveniently ignores facts that doesn't suit his argument. For instance no mere mention of our trump card, the Origin series.

Fact is, most RL supporters would be happy to get around the billion mark. It would certainly be enough to secure our games future in this part of the world.

It's a well known and established fact that aussie rules is a far more expensive game to run.

Representative Rugby League (Origin+Tests+World Cup+All Stars) is worth upwards of $140 million+ alone over 5 years.

I don't care about matching the AFL's deal. We have two very different games to market and develop.

But to achieve a deal close to $1 Billion would effectively double our current financial position and help to correct many issues in our game.

aarondoyle

Juniors
So they won't commit on a broadcast deal till the independent commission is in (fair enough I suppose) but they'll give Gallop another 4 years? If I was the IC the first thing I'd do is pay out his contract and tell him to F**K off!

BDGS

Bench
Just a realist and doesn't allow stupidity come into the judgement of the best NRL CEO in the last ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.