What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Have you seen the sample size? Have you seen how in a population like WA's of 2mill even a very small sample differential can be extrapolated to show a massive viewing variance? As I said the sample size is so small across a pop of 22mill that to suggest you can get accurate extrapolation figures within a 100k accuracy is dumb.

I know they use these ratings to set advertising rates generally (although they also state they use economic income and income flexibility of likely viewing audience as well) but that doesn;t make the figures accurate!

Of course we love them as they show we are more popular, when that translates to us earning more $'s than AFL than I will get excited by viewing figures!

then why even bother
why have an industry dedicated to the reporting from this sample size

I'm sorry
you don't know jack sh.it :roll:

Raiderdave

First Grade
I hate the fact that numerous pundits seem to think that its up to the tv stations whether we have a fixed schedule as if it belongs to them. Its the NRL's intelectual property to sell or adjust pending on how they want the media contracts to look.

TK in particular is being a total nein knob over it but that is to be expected i guess.

I am no longer confident the much mooted $1billion will be acheived but around $900m is realistic and acheivable with expansion set in stone and every game live on Fox. The game itself does not allow for the same advertising potential as AFL without significant changes to the structure of the matches itself which wont happen IMO. Plus we are negotiating of a base of two major capital cities while the AFL is in 5 wiht multiple teams in each market.

Dont get me wrong, anything close to or above $900b would still be fantastic and allow the game to make significant progress and improvements off the field

yep I'd be happy with that :sarcasm:

:lol::lol:

taipan

Referee
I hate the fact that numerous pundits seem to think that its up to the tv stations whether we have a fixed schedule as if it belongs to them. Its the NRL's intelectual property to sell or adjust pending on how they want the media contracts to look.

TK in particular is being a total nein knob over it but that is to be expected i guess.

I am no longer confident the much mooted $1billion will be acheived but around $900m is realistic and acheivable with expansion set in stone and every game live on Fox. The game itself does not allow for the same advertising potential as AFL without significant changes to the structure of the matches itself which wont happen IMO. Plus we are negotiating of a base of two major capital cities while the AFL is in 5 wiht multiple teams in each market.

Dont get me wrong, anything close to or above $900b would still be fantastic and allow the game to make significant progress and improvements off the field

As the saying goes I'll have half.
BTW there have been discussions already going on about extra ads,just thought an outer should be alerted.
A base of two major capital cities ,sydney Brisbane and melbourne make two apparently.#-o

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
answer the question

do you agree with him that TV Networks totally ignore ratings and go off crowd figures?

it's not hard

yes or no

TV networks don't ignore anything. Surely they'd take in every factor that might help them squeeze more dough out of advertisers.

What the hell is your point?

The biggest issue seems to be that the AFL obviously has elements that the TV networks find far more attractive than rugby league. Either that - or teh people running our game are completely incompetent or corrupt.

El Diablo

Post Whore
TV networks don't ignore anything. Surely they'd take in every factor that might help them squeeze more dough out of advertisers.

What the hell is your point?

The biggest issue seems to be that the AFL obviously has elements that the TV networks find far more attractive than rugby league. Either that - or teh people running our game are completely incompetent or corrupt.

the idiot at Bigpoofy thinks TV networks ignore ratings for the NRL because they are rigged

instead he thinks they decide how much they'll pay based solely on crowd size

you agreed with him

jc155776

Coach
It's not just raw numbers that matter. It is the amount of markets advertised into. Afl is shown everywhere meaning stations can sell advertising to each region.

The nrl is no even given this same advantage by nein who show the game into prime markets only.

The nrl to stand firm an would be errrr accepting a little less if it managed to force the game to be shown into more areas with a different station to nein. Every game live in fox is a must as well especially for people in none league areas who are force to watch nein games at 3am.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
We have as many cities covered as them now in Australia and we have a second and maybe soon a 3rd country with a combined 11 million between them to add.

Let the little foody nuts talk their shit, after all, it was RL who was getting the big money before the SL war and in the not too distant future, it'll be RL getting the big money again.

El Diablo

Post Whore
It's not just raw numbers that matter. It is the amount of markets advertised into. Afl is shown everywhere meaning stations can sell advertising to each region.

The nrl is no even given this same advantage by nein who show the game into prime markets only.

The nrl to stand firm an would be errrr accepting a little less if it managed to force the game to be shown into more areas with a different station to nein. Every game live in fox is a must as well especially for people in none league areas who are force to watch nein games at 3am.

http://www.nineentertainment.com.au/About_Us.htm

About Us

Nine Entertainment Co. is Australia’s most diversified media and entertainment group. It is a communication powerhouse delivering a world of media information and entertainment to millions of Australians.

Our assets include the Nine Network Australia, NBN Television, Australian News Channel, ACP Magazines, a 50% interest in ninemsn, and entertainment entities, Ticketek and the Allphones Arena.

Our free-to-air television broadcaster, the Nine Network Australia, reaches over 11.4 million Australians every week and 82% of the total viewing audience. When it comes to news, sport, entertainment and major events, viewers tune in to the Nine Network in Australia.

NBN Television is Australia's highest rating television network
. It commenced broadcasting to the Newcastle and Hunter Valley region in 1962. NBN's market stretches from Central Coast in the south to the Gold Coast, Queensland in the north and west to Moree and Narrabri. This market has a population of 1.9 million people, and is the fourth largest television market in Australia, behind Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

juro

Bench

How much would advertisers be willing to pay for the AFL in Sydney and Brisbane, getting sub-100k viewing audiences? Just because it is shown, doesn't mean people are watching!

jc155776

Coach
What's your point? Nbn or nein do not show games into Victoria, Tasmania, wa or sa at reasonable times. Think of all the businesses not willing to pay dollars to advertise in these areas.

Get the blinkers off. Ronny is a league fan. I am a league fan. But we know o look at weaknesses in order to find solutions. A sport beIng shown in 30 regions to 1 millions peoPle will earn more then a show being shown in 15 regions to 1.3 million.

We need a deal that gets our sport shown aus wide at reasonable times in Order to grow. And if I means getting a little less from someone Other then 9 to do it then it is worth the hit in the short term.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
What's your point? Nbn or nein do not show games into Victoria, Tasmania, wa or sa at reasonable times. Think of all the businesses not willing to pay dollars to advertise in these areas.

Get the blinkers off. Ronny is a league fan. I am a league fan. But we know o look at weaknesses in order to find solutions. A sport beIng shown in 30 regions to 1 millions peoPle will earn more then a show being shown in 15 regions to 1.3 million.

We need a deal that gets our sport shown aus wide at reasonable times in Order to grow. And if I means getting a little less from someone Other then 9 to do it then it is worth the hit in the short term.

The only places in Vic WA and SA that don't get the games are the capitals, all other areas get the same games we do.

azsportza

Live Update Team
Some stats from the 2007-2011 season regarding Free to Air coverage per each club.

m6k5x.png

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

Precisely.

You don't go with a knife to a gun fight.

We are about to negotiate with News Limited, Telstra, TV stations etc on a crucial set of deals to set up the game's future. YET:
  • We retain a bloke supplied by News Limited as CEO. Which morons agreed to this despite the real or apparent "conflict of interest"?
  • Who does the rugby league have on its side with the nouse, experience, competence, knowhow and contacts to determine what is a fair deal for the game?
  • Has the NRL determined how much the game needs? Is there a business plan? Has a simple forecast P & L been prepared? see next point.
  • If expansion could add 2 areas and other elements important to the game, has anyone at the NRL factored in precisely what these benefits could be? If not, why not?
  • If it appears (as it does to me) that 2 new teams will enhance the overall appeal to TV channels etc, then why the hell is expansion being treated as irrelevant by the idiots running the game?
The new commission is not independent because of (1) Gallop as CEO and (2) possibe influence of club powerbrokers in its decisions.

I have not seen anywhere concrete that the NRL has formed a powerhouse media rights negotiation team. Is there an Ian Frykberg type who would lead the charge?

Until there is a team like this in place, then prepared to be disillusioned again as the media guys take the game for another big ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.