What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Everyone hates the status quo. AFL fans hate 7, NRL fans hate 9. Would they do a better job if they just swapped?

docbrown

Coach
Everyone hates the status quo. AFL fans hate 7, NRL fans hate 9. Would they do a better job if they just swapped?

You'll likely find out on Thursday.

Nine put in a finalised version of its offer today.

The AFL have thrown it back in 7's court to match 9's distribution offer and the response sounds like it has been the same static.

applesauce

Bench
You'll likely find out on Thursday.

Nine put in a finalised version of its offer today.

The AFL have thrown it back in 7's court to match 9's distribution offer and the response sounds like it has been the same static.

Is Thursday D-day? I was under the impression it will take as long as it will take...

docbrown

Coach
Is Thursday D-day? I was under the impression it will take as long as it will take...

Talk is it's all pointing towards this Wednesday/Thursday unless 7 throw something unexpected into the mix.

If 9 gets the rights, it'll likely be announced Wednesday afternoon so there's some coverage on the Wednesday news and then gloating on Ch9 AFL Footy Show (which is earlier because of Easter). If not, then Thursday as a lead into the Thursday game.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
Nine are in front for the AFL rights now and the word is they're hoping to onsell some of the 4 anyhow - as they really can't afford it.
Where did you hear that doc? A few people have mentioned the possible intention of 9 or 7 to onsell a couple of the games, but I have heard that 9 are intending on showing all 4 games, and that Age article says that 7 have committed to the same thing (should 10 drop out).

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I don't really care what the afl get, but if we get shafted and massively undervalued again every league fan, player and offical in this country should cause a s**t storm over it. praying for 7/10 and a respectable increase to around $800m. Gut feeling says we wont get much more than that just because this sport never gets anything that easy plus the merkins at nine will find a reason to reduce the value.

out of interest does anyone know what the swans game rated the other night?? Plus for this- 493,000 279,000 37,000 177,000. Who is the 279k?

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Where did you hear that doc? A few people have mentioned the possible intention of 9 or 7 to onsell a couple of the games, but I have heard that 9 are intending on showing all 4 games, and that Age article says that 7 have committed to the same thing (should 10 drop out).

At press gig for the Astra awards.

9 and 7 have every right to onsell the games as long as the 4 go to FTA networks.

If 7 get the rights but 10 drop out, they won't let 9 have a slice of the pie so definitely will screen all 4.

However if 9 gets the rights, they will offer a share to the others because they're trying to cover all their bases ahead of their float.

docbrown

Coach
If you're curious about what the best time slots are this season (approximately)*:

7:30pm Friday - 1,209,300 avg
4:00pm Sunday - 807,600 avg
9:30pm Friday - 624,900 avg
7:00pm Monday - 349,200 avg
7:30pm Saturday - 317,200 avg
5:30pm Saturday - 265,400 avg
2:00pm Sunday - 245,200 avg
12:00pm Sunday - 182,000 avg
Saturday Late/Simulcast - 166,300 avg

* for Rounds 1-5

docbrown

Coach
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...r-ratings-tumble/story-e6frg996-1226040577811

Free ads offered by Nine to make up for ratings tumble

THE Nine Network has been forced to offer "makegoods" to advertisers after disappointing ratings in the first quarter meant it failed to deliver guaranteed audience levels. Media buyers said Nine had had to make bonus spots available after consolidated prime-time ratings across the network and its digital channels Go and Gem fell from 36 per cent last year to 33 per cent so far this ratings season.
In contrast, Seven was up almost three share points, while Ten was down by 0.4 points.
Ratings on Nine's main channel are down by almost 7 per cent to a commercial prime-time share of 32.8 per cent due to the failure of key programs, including Ben Elton Live from Planet Earth, and the decision to hold back other programs, such as Underbelly follow-up Razor, which is scheduled to run in the second half of the year.
Media buyers said specific advertising campaigns had fallen short of their targets by as much as 10 to 15 per cent. "They are having to place bonus spots for us to make up for the shortfall on our campaigns," said Melissa Hey, head of television at media agency OMD. "There has been a significant drop on the main channel."

The network is believed to have succeeded in its goal of garnering more than 35 per cent of advertising revenues in February -- based on data from advertising measurement firm SMI -- plus a higher than average share of direct advertising, which SMI does not measure.
Calls to Nine head of sales and marketing Peter Wiltshire and sales director Ian Paterson were not returned by press time. However, sources said weakened demand for television advertising this month -- particularly in the weeks around Easter -- meant Nine would be able to get away most of its bonus spots.
Maxus chief operating officer Mark McCraith said each network had had to offer makegoods in the past year. Seven is believed to have offered some for its tennis coverage, while Ten struggled with disappointing ratings for last year's Commonwealth Games broadcast. Nine's woes are understood to be of a broader nature -- covering more programs -- than usual.
But Mr McCraith said it depended which program an advertiser was buying. "If you're buying the NRL, it's up," he said.

applesauce

Bench
Monday on FTA - given time - has every bit the chance to be bigger than FNF at 7:30pm. Nothing on TV, no-one out on a Monday, rates it tits off on Fox which says something, I hope ONE pick it up!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
typicall of the bs "melbourne" studio on FSN, top of the hour headlines. about a dozen afl stories while the only league related one is the "latest on nrl badboy todd carney", the cracker on MNF doesn't rate a mention.

Gippsy

Bench
As already mentioned, I can't believe the conflict of interest with Eddie in all this. He's quite open about it too, already saying the more money the AFL get the more they can expand the game. He might as well have said " the more money my TV station pays the AFL, the more money my football club gets". He knows the opposite is true too, the less the NRL get the tougher it will be to compete with the fumbleballers. Here's hoping Ch 7 can screw them over somehow.

BunniesMan

Immortal
As already mentioned, I can't believe the conflict of interest with Eddie in all this. He's quite open about it too, already saying the more money the AFL get the more they can expand the game. He might as well have said " the more money my TV station pays the AFL, the more money my football club gets". He knows the opposite is true too, the less the NRL get the tougher it will be to compete with the fumbleballers. Here's hoping Ch 7 can screw them over somehow.
That's the difference between the 2 codes. Both NRL and AFL have connections in the media, but with the AFL those connections (like Eddie) are used to help the game. With the NRL those connections (News) are used to f**k the game over.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Gyngell seemed to do f**k all for RL and he was CEO above Quagmire

he is a FC Director at the Roosters or was last year anyway

cleary89

Coach
typicall of the bs "melbourne" studio on FSN, top of the hour headlines. about a dozen afl stories while the only league related one is the "latest on nrl badboy todd carney", the cracker on MNF doesn't rate a mention.

Watched it at 10pm too. Was that terrible.

Dragon

Coach
Monday on FTA - given time - has every bit the chance to be bigger than FNF at 7:30pm. Nothing on TV, no-one out on a Monday, rates it tits off on Fox which says something, I hope ONE pick it up!

Agreed, it simply has to be on FTA in the next deal.

El Diablo

Post Whore
why do they have a special Victorian news anyway?

there are more subscribers in Sydney and probably Brisbane too

hate that blonde Victorian bithch with a passion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts