What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an article on the AFL rights, that said it will be costing Fox a significant amount of their budget to get all 9 AFL games. I doubt they could afford to do both sports. Ill see if I can dig up the article.

The cost in extending their broadcast from 5 to 8 live games wouldnt be that bad if they shared production costs on the 3 dual games.

applesauce

Bench
So, as it stands, it may well be down to a bidding war between Ten and Nine? Seven out of the equation for now or never?

If 9 get the AFL rights we could tump their deal. I hope Eddie has carpet burn on his knees right now.

7 will need content, 10 will probably bid for "parts" for the bid that 9 will be forced to break it up, for paying for the AFL, but 9 might want SOO for example.

That would be the PERFECT scenario as it would have EVERY station bidding for parts and 2 bidding for the majority.

eg. 7 will try for the lot against a smaller bid from 10.
10 will try for MNF & FNF agaisnt Fox and 7 respectivly.
If 7 miss out on the lot, they will go for SOO agaisnt 9.
If 10 miss MNF or FNF they will go against Fox for Saturdays.

That will be the way the NRL comes bloody cose to $1billion.Or are able to demand what they want telecast wise - with live coverage around OZ on digital channels in non-heartland - while still making great money ($850-900).

Other than that IMO we will be around the $720-$800mill with pretty much the current arrangment... :x

docbrown

Coach
All this Caroline Wilson talk of 7 agreeing to the simulcast ads on Fridays last week was BS.

They were offered it but reserved their response. 9 immediately said "yes we'll do it" and AFL threw it back in 7's court.

7 has upped their offer and accepted the simulcast now - however the offer is from 7 only. At the moment 10 are trying to have it both ways - they want to make sure that they're included contractually as part of the bid but they want to be able wriggle out of it afterwards if need be. That's pissed 7 off and so there's no talk of 10 in their bid now and 10 are saying that breaches the original agreement. If 7 win 10 will likely sue, regardless of whether or not they later get onsold 2 AFL games from 7.

andrew057

First Grade
The cost in extending their broadcast from 5 to 8 live games wouldnt be that bad if they shared production costs on the 3 dual games.

It will be 9 games next season. I'd assume they would be sharing production costs on the games that are simulcast.

But the rights themselves for 9 live games are believed to be more than double what they currently play.

It will be 9 games next season. I'd assume they would be sharing production costs on the games that are simulcast.

But the rights themselves for 9 live games are believed to be more than double what they currently play.

I was referring to the NRLs 8 games.

Although hopefully it will be 9 aswell soon.

docbrown

Coach
To be honest - I can't see 7 keeping all 4 AFL games for $450 million. They'd have to be looking to offload at least 1 now.

docbrown

Coach
Was chatting to a friend who works at GTV-9. Apparently they're looking for feedback from viewers about airing NRL in Victoria.

I don't have their email or phone number, but seriously suggest any Victorian viewers should give them a call and voice their opinion. Even better if you put it in writing.

taipan

Referee
There was an article on the AFL rights, that said it will be costing Fox a significant amount of their budget to get all 9 AFL games. I doubt they could afford to do both sports. Ill see if I can dig up the article.

That is the question that haunts me.Fox wants to pay megabucks for the AFL ($100m pa)for the 9 live games,yet the NRL currently gets a paltry $43m for 5 live NRL games,which rate their proverbials off.
If the NRL expands and there is an additional Fox timeslot (ie 6 live games per week),the NRL should at least be cracking $75m pa on pay),and at least $80-$85m pa on FTA(incl Sky NZ).
Meaning min $155m per annum or min$775m over 5 years.That is the bare minimum the i.C should expect,
This would allow a grant of $5m pa to the 18 clubs $90m and the remaining $65m plus to admin,development,and that does not include sponsorship.
My gut feeling if the code can't crack $800m over 5 years,the negotiators need tar and feathering.Especially if the fumbleballers crack $1b.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee

Well,if they up the subs to pay for the AFL rights,at the expense of the NRL,there should be merry hell to pay.:thumbd:

Cletus

First Grade
Well,if they up the subs to pay for the AFL rights,at the expense of the NRL,there should be merry hell to pay.:thumbd:

They are apparently going to charge extra for the AFL, like with the deceased Fox Footy. I still don't understand how they justify paying twice as much to the AFL when it provides significantly less subscriptions.

BunniesMan

Immortal
They are apparently going to charge extra for the AFL, like with the deceased Fox Footy. I still don't understand how they justify paying twice as much to the AFL when it provides significantly less subscriptions.
They can do whatever they like thanks to the monopoly they have. We can't make them justify sh*t all. But if they were to justify it, they'd say they're investing in what they see as their future growth areas. BS, but whatever, they can serve us BS if they like.

parano1a

Juniors

Part of the reason the AFL currently provides less subscriptions is because all games played by non-Victorian teams are guaranteed FTA broadcast into their home state. E.g. in Perth all 22 Eagles and Dockers home games are on FTA, therefore there is little incentive for fans of those teams to get pay tv.

This arrangement could change in the next rights deal which would significantly boost subscriptions, especially if they get all 9 games live, with only 4 simulcast on FTA.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
What happens to the likes of the footy shows and sunday roast if 9 loses most of its league coverage? Would they can them out of spite or continue rolling them

Also does anyone know if the NZ tv deal is expected to increase at all?

BunniesMan

Immortal
What happens to the likes of the footy shows and sunday roast if 9 loses most of its league coverage? Would they can them out of spite or continue rolling them

Also does anyone know if the NZ tv deal is expected to increase at all?
Well 9 has kept the AFL footy show for close to 20 years even though they didn't have the rights for a large part of that time.

So the NRL show won't necessarily go...as long as the ratings are good enough.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Part of the reason the AFL currently provides less subscriptions is because all games played by non-Victorian teams are guaranteed FTA broadcast into their home state. E.g. in Perth all 22 Eagles and Dockers home games are on FTA, therefore there is little incentive for fans of those teams to get pay tv.

This arrangement could change in the next rights deal which would significantly boost subscriptions, especially if they get all 9 games live, with only 4 simulcast on FTA.

And you AFL flogs have the nerve to state every NRL game is targeted while yours isn't :roll:

nrlnrl

First Grade
Was chatting to a friend who works at GTV-9. Apparently they're looking for feedback from viewers about airing NRL in Victoria.

I don't have their email or phone number, but seriously suggest any Victorian viewers should give them a call and voice their opinion. Even better if you put it in writing.

Couldn't you just ask your friend for the phone number or e-mail address ?

Anyway, try these :

Channel Nine Melbourne (03) 9420-3111
717 Bourke Street Docklands Vic 3008

j5o6hn

Juniors
the footy show on 9 NRL version is dying a natural death owing to the fact that the people running it are stupid.
Fatty and Co should have been fired years ago,and the entire show given a make over the Sunday shows I have not seen but the Footy show had the staggers when I left Brisbane in 2004.
9 if they get the AFL with Foxtel will screw it up they could not run a piss up in a brewery they are run but the most incompetent bunch on the face of the earth,though the mob running 10 may yet manage to beat them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts