What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fui!!!

Juniors
If we add 2 more teams:

Friday 7:30 - Channel 9 Live
Friday 7:30 - Go! Live

Saturday 3:00 - Fox Sports 2 Live
Saturday 5:00 - Fox Sports 2 Live
Saturday 7:30 - One Live

Sunday 1:30 - Fox Sports 2 Live (viewers choice)
Sunday 3:30 - Channel 7 Live

Monday 7:00 - Fox Sports 2 Live

GongPanther

Referee
If we add 2 more teams:

Friday 7:30 - Channel 9 Live
Friday 7:30 - Go! Live

Saturday 3:00 - Fox Sports 2 Live
Saturday 5:00 - Fox Sports 2 Live
Saturday 7:30 - One Live

Sunday 3:30 - Channel 7 Live

Monday 7:00 - Fox Sports 2 Live

The NRL will not have games on 3:00 pm on Saturdays as people are busy and are either shopping,cleaning,taking kids to or from sport,people going to clubs to bet on the horses,etc.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The NRL will not have games on 3:00 pm on Saturdays as people are busy and are either shopping,cleaning,taking kids to or from sport,people going to clubs to bet on the horses,etc.

People in Victoria dont go shopping, clean go to sport, etc etc on Saturdays?

m0nty

Juniors
The VFL used to have all six games on Saturday afternoon from 2pm to 4:40pm. Different traditions I guess.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Whoever offers the best deal, not necessarily the most cash. If one consortium promised to show live games nationwide but offered less $ I'd say take it. Getting the game on tv for more people to watch is the big thing we need.

Yep, agree with this - needs to be a balance of money & the overall deal. Just because someone spends more money, it doesn't mean their product will be better. Also, the AFL tv deal will have a big impact on the NRL tv rights both financially & strategically. ie - obviously the money spent ( or not spent ), plus the days & times that are available to the different bidders.

taipan

Referee
The three TV stations provided it maximises the game's income to its true worth,provided exposure available at decent times in AFL states.Three TV stations promoting is better than one .
The way I see it with FTA/PAy/internet the game should get a minimum of $180m pa,if fumbleball gets $200m(and that is being generous to them).

petetheileet

First Grade
hate ch 7 media personalities...

makes me cringe think of Bruce and Sandy calling the game

FTA and Saturday nights would be great

TBH I would prefer 10 get it

cant see it happening at all though

Quidgybo

Bench
I've posted this before but it seems relevant.

Move to both Friday night and Saturday night doubleheaders on Free to air with the nights split between different networks (eg Nine and Seven). Instead of Super Saturday, make Sunday afternoon the Pay TV super day with three live games from 1pm to 7pm AEST. On Sunday night allow the third free to air network (eg. Ten) to show an edited replay of one of the Super Sunday games in the style of the old Big Match Replay from the late eighties (ie. four full games plus a fifth edited replay each week on network television). And sell Monday nights separately from the rest of the Pay TV games to allow the possibility it could be picked up by a newcomer who only wants to commit to one game a week (eg. ESPN)

Assuming an 18 team comp running over 26 weeks and that New Zealand are one of the two new teams then we could offer packages something like this...

Friday Night Free To Air
- 49 game package + finals
- Broadcast rights in Australia
- 1 x Live at 7pm + 1x Replay at 9pm
- First 16 weeks scheduled in advance of season
- 1 match per week involving a Queensland team
- 1st pick for remainder of season
- 4 x Finals matches
- Grand Final in even numbered years

Saturday Night Free To Air
- 49 game package + finals
- 1 x Live at 7pm + 1x Replay at 9pm
- 2nd pick for remainder of season
- 4 x Finals matches
- Grand Final in odd numbered years

Weekend Subscription Television
- 100 game package (26 Saturday, 74 Sunday)
- 1x Live 5pm Saturday
- 3x Live 1pm, 3pm and 5pm Sunday
- 3rd pick for remainder of season

Sunday Night Free To Air Replay (Low cost package)
- 26 game package (All second airing)
- Replay of one Sunday afternoon match (not before 7pm)
- Localised by region
- No production costs

Monday Night Subscription Television
- 18 game package (All live)
- Broadcast rights in Australia and New Zealand
- 1x Live 7pm Monday
- 1 home game per club
- All games scheduled in advance of season

New Zealand Free To Air
- 52 game package (44 live, 8 replay) + finals
- Broadcast rights in New Zealand
- 1 x 7pm NZT Saturday, 1x 7pm NZT Sunday
- 48 games involving Zealand team
- 2x New Zealand derby
- 4x Finals matches
- Grand Final

New Zealand Subscription Television
- 146 game package (102 live, 44 replay) + finals
- Broadcast rights in New Zealand
- 1x Live at 9pm NZT + 1x Replay at 11pm NZT Friday
- 1x Live at 9pm NZT + 1x Replay at 11pm NZT Saturday
- 2x Live at 3pm and 5pm NZT Sunday
- 4x Finals matches
- No production costs

Some points worth nothing.

I suggest a compromise between fixed and rolling schedule. Fix the schedule for the first half to two-thirds of the season when every team is still in contention and the contenders haven't yet been separated from the pretenders (I've suggested the first 16 rounds - ie. the first 8 out of 12 home games for each club would be fixed). And then post Origin, when the club comp needs a boost and we start building to the finals, move to a rolling schedule to allow us to showcase our best games and avoid showing turkeys.

The only exception to the above would be the Monday Night package where all 18 games (ie. one home game per club per season) would be scheduled up front at the start of the season. This gives the Monday night package an extra kick in value while allowing us to spread the burden evenly among all teams. And it allows us to maximise the chance for fans to plan to get to the ground for what would still be our most inaccessible timeslot.

For free to air the idea would be to split the Friday night and Saturday night doubleheader packages between two different networks. So if Seven hang onto the Friday night AFL and Nine gets the Friday night doubleheader then ideally we'd get Seven showing the Saturday night doubleheader against the AFL on Channel Ten. And to take it one step further, you could end up with Ten (or their OneHD subsidiary) showing the Sunday night edited replay. The big advantage of spreading around the packages like this is that no one gets complacent in their coverage. If one of the networks is being lazy in the quality of their commentary or camera work then it'll quickly get shown up by the competition. But most importantly in my opinion, by ensuring all the major networks have a stake in the coverage you deter them from trashing the game to build up a rival code. They'd be damaging their own product instead of just the competition (ie. Seven's position up till now)

As I've described in another post, I'd like to see us move our second Free to Air timeslot away from Sunday afternoon to a Saturday night doubleheader. Instead on Sunday we'd offer Pay TV a tripleheader of live games (with a guarantee of one match involving a Queensland team in rounds with fixed scheduling and 3rd pick in rounds with rolling scheduling) But then to help ensure that some teams like the Raiders aren't left hidden on Pay TV we bring back the edited 90 min Sunday night replay, with the replayed match varying by region. So Fox would get to show three live matches and then Channel Ten would get to replay one match in each region. In southern NSW they would show the match that involved the Raiders, in Sydney they'd show a game with one or two Sydney teams and in Queensland they show a match involving a Queensland team. For the free to air channel, this would be a nice cheap package with no production costs because they'd just be replaying the Fox production. But there'd still the incentive for Pay TV because it's the exclusive place to see the games live or watch an out of market match.

New Zealand is the one market that I am continually amazed we overlook when talking about expansion and television rights. The potential a second team would give us - in terms of being able to offer NZ television a regular weekly primetime timeslot with a local team, two games most weeks with a local team and two blockbuster local derbys each season - it really would be Queensland mark two. We could offer one high value package for free to air that had two matches each week with a Kiwi team and the blockbuster derby matches and then a second lesser value but zero production cost package for pay television that had all the other matches - including the first and second pick Friday and Saturday night doubleheaders.

Leigh.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I hate channel 7, fairdinkim. I don't like channel 9 either, but as long as Rabbits and Gus are arguing for our entertainment pleasure, I would not have it any other way.

No no no no no.

Dear oh dear oh dear.

Quidgybo

Bench
I hate channel 7, fairdinkim. I don't like channel 9 either, but as long as Rabbits and Gus are arguing for our entertainment pleasure, I would not have it any other way.
So if Seven suddenly announced they'd bought Gus and Rabbits to head their coverage, you'd be all OK with it? Given they haven't covered Rugby League for years, it's hardly fair to judge them on where they stand now. Obviously they will have to build up their Rugby League team if they win some of the rights. Matthew Johns is the first step in that but consider every past or present Rugby League presenter fair game for turning up on Seven. Everyone from Graham Hughes to Warren Boland or Warren Smith, as well as any Nine guys off contract in the next three years (don't be surprised if most of the Nine contracts run out at the same time as Nines current rights).

Leigh.

Brutus

Referee
Warren Smith and Graeme Hughes would be good head callers for 7. Hughes has a history with the network, calling Tests and hosting their Sunday morning RL show back in the 90s. Warren Boland deserves a go too.

bobmar28

Bench
7. Warren Smith to do the call.

Remember the hatchet job Peter Overton did on the NRL?

Last edited:

Fein

First Grade
Warren Smith and Graeme Hughes would be good head callers for 7. Hughes has a history with the network, calling Tests and hosting their Sunday morning RL show back in the 90s. Warren Boland deserves a go too.

I agree.

The wankers at Channel 9 are expendable.

Goddo

Bench
^ which is why I think they might make a play for the Sunday arvo match and Origin, and maybe finals/tests. I am not sure how that would fit with their Union test coverage though.

smithie

Juniors
I'd like to see 7, 9 & 10 split the rights, however there are some points that are non-negotiable.

- Minimum 50% of games must be on free-to-air.
- Bruce McAvaney is not to be involved in Seven's broadcast. I cringe when Seven does the rugby.
- Nine must keep State of Origin. To have SOO without Ray Warren and Gus would completely change the atmosphere of the event.
- All games must be broadcast in HD. I know some people want to see games on GO! or 7TWO, but the picture quality on these channels can be shockingly bad. Might as well show games on Youtube.
- If Ten does get a game or two, they must be broadcast on OneHD not Ten. Remember the new TV deals won't start until 2013 which is also the year the analogue network gets turned off. If you haven't got digital by then you won't be watching anything.

If two new teams are added from 2013, I'd like to see a Sunday night game added (7pm kick-off). The last game of the regular season in 2009 was played on a Sunday night at Suncorp. Over 36,000 fans turned up and they were only playing the Raiders, who generally don't attract a big crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.