What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Any chance that one sunday game can have a 4pm kick off... i hate the one hour delay i usually fall asleep by 5.30, so many ads

smithie

Juniors
Any chance that one sunday game can have a 4pm kick off... i hate the one hour delay i usually fall asleep by 5.30, so many ads

I completely agree. I tend to struggle sometimes as well. Hopefully the rights will be spread out between 7, 9 & 10. With more providers there is a better chance of games being broadcast live.

Would love to see live doubleheaders on Sundays. (1:30pm - 3:30pm, 3:30pm - 5:30pm)

griff

Bench
I completely agree. I tend to struggle sometimes as well. Hopefully the rights will be spread out between 7, 9 & 10. With more providers there is a better chance of games being broadcast live.

Would love to see live doubleheaders on Sundays. (1:30pm - 3:30pm, 3:30pm - 5:30pm)

If it ends at 5.30 that would require half an hour of padding out before the news, which means that people are likely to change channels. What about games at 2-4 and 4-6?

Bluebag

Juniors
It may or may not happen but the strategy is smart, especially to get higher offers from 9 and Fox, imagine if they lost the dominance so why not split it up or even just talk about the prospect to get higher offers.

They took less money last time but the contract was shorter and ends before the AFL one so the league is looking to get first crack at the sports dollars and not last.

smithie

Juniors
If it ends at 5.30 that would require half an hour of padding out before the news, which means that people are likely to change channels. What about games at 2-4 and 4-6?

I think the ideal product would be to incorporate the 2 games and the Sunday Footy Show into one program called "Sunday Football", airing from 1pm - 6pm.

Much like TNT does with their weekly NBA doubleheaders (airing Fridays on OneHD).

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
A positive article. But cant really blame people for being sceptical. I doubt the rights will be split up over different networks but whatever gets more money I'm happy with.

The great joke here is that this is his job. This article is tantamount to a McDonalds worker newsflash "Joe Smith announces he will sell burgers for money".

Fact is - the last TV rights deal was a joke because it is News Limited negotiating with News Limited. What's changed?

Knightmare

Coach
I don't care what channel gets what as far as i'm concerned it can be shared round all of them. What i would like to see is more games played in the daylight hours in the dead of winter. If that means only games being played on Saturday and Sunday afternoons so be it. Night time football is great in the warmer months but in the cold months, it effects the play bad and keeps crowds at games down.

Ha, you're talking about the same genuises who have Canberra playing Monday Night Football games in the middle of winter. Your idea makes perfect sense, but as long as News Ltd. have a stake in the game it will never happen. Pay TV subscriptions come first, accomodating the fans a very, very, distant second.

simostorm

Bench
IMO.. id like to see 7 get them.. Simply beacause i think 9 will keep the programming exactly the same as it is now.. and i beleive the way it is from them.. isnt good enough.

Craegus

Juniors
Stay with Nine, I really don't think I could handle games with commentary from Bruce McAvaney, and also coverage that would be the same or worse than what we get on Nine now.

clarency

Juniors
7 rates higher so naturally I would choose that.

HOWEVER I believe 9 may outbid them once they realise NRL isn't up their arse anymore they'll offer something more decent... If they lose NRL then 9 don't have much else.

Regardless I'd like to see it on mutiple channels, and an emphasise on a decent timeslot in the AFL states in the contract for once.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I would love all 3 commercial networks to have a piece of the pie. May see League get a fair go on all three networks then.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Whoever wins lets see them made to show the game live into Perth Melbourne and Adelaide and the NT,
Problem is 7 don't show AFL live in Perth all on 2 3 hour delay after better homes and Gardens,or if they baulk on the Digital channel in the AFL states.
If 9 loses League their ratings will be rubbish in NSW and QLD,mind you they are rubbish now anyway,also 7 are a network while 9 Perth and Adelaide are owned by WIN and have AFL sports directors,who wont do any favors for the NRL.
At least Stokes can tell his people what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts