What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
especially when they have RL reporters who would do a better job

this clown came down from Queensland Ten where he was always wanking on about AFL and the Lions. he also used to host an AFL show there called Queensland Rules with that Akemanus dick

Some mothers do have 'em:lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ha, you're talking about the same genuises who have Canberra playing Monday Night Football games in the middle of winter. Your idea makes perfect sense, but as long as News Ltd. have a stake in the game it will never happen. Pay TV subscriptions come first, accomodating the fans a very, very, distant second.

The beauty of having a Perth team is every other week you could have a WA game kicking off live on Eastern States TV anytime you hoose between 6pm-10.30pm and it won't effect the Reds crowds.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
Gallop to look for maximum dollars, maximum exposure....The 4 eyed idiot is flat out looking past his nose.

ozjet1

people knocking C9 and the current coverage all up in Sydney dont know how good it really is. The Friday night double-header with a live match, and 5 of 8 matches live every week, with all 8 games telecast on tele - FTA or pay.

the accessibility to games is much better than the coverage of most other sports in the world.

sometimes, i reckon people complain just for something to do. must be DT readers.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i personally hate the DH on Fridays. second game starts late and is chock a block full of ads

one game on a Friday starting at 8:30pm wouldn't worry me if it meant we got another Sunday afternoon game

ozjet1

i personally hate the DH on Fridays. second game starts late and is chock a block full of ads

one game on a Friday starting at 8:30pm wouldn't worry me if it meant we got another Sunday afternoon game

im definately speaking for my own interests re the Fri night double. I work till 9 on Friday nights and really enjoy coming home with a pizza in time for the start of the 2nd match, crack open a couple of beers and unwind with the footy.

and 9 prefer friday night because of its inclusion in the prime-time figures. couldnt do that with sunday arvo matches. if anything, it'd go back to pay. more footy on FTA is better IMO.

El Diablo

Post Whore
what about kids though?

dunno how they'd feel about the DH

IIRC 9 were actually thinking of getting rid of the 2nd Friday game as it doesn't rate that well

ozjet1

i reckon a big reason for that is because it almost always features the match which isnt hyped.

Quidgybo

Bench
IIRC 9 were actually thinking of getting rid of the 2nd Friday game as it doesn't rate that well
I've heard the same said in reference to the Sunday game. Essentially they were ecstatic with their Friday night ratings but not so happy with their Sunday afternoon ratings. Remember it is the double header that allows them to show different games at 7.30pm in NSW and Qld and thus maximize their primetime ratings in both markets. Go back to one match and they can't do that any longer. That's why I've suggested in my proposal to make Sunday afternoon the Super triple header exclusive to Pay TV and replicate the Friday night double header on Saturday night for another free to air network. Give that network the same opportunity to maximize primetime ratings in different markets by showing different matches simultaneously in each.

Leigh

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
here's the link http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg...egraph/comments/noon_start_is_an_nrl_cop_out/

Nine to give up Friday night game

Phil Rothfield
Monday, May 18, 2009 at 11:38pm

Exclusive

By Executive Sports Editor Phil Rothfield

Channel Nine boss David Gyngell has revealed he is prepared to give up a Friday night NRL game to broadcast live Saturday afternoon football.

AS revealed exclusively today on this website, NRL boss David Gallop is looking to play an extra match on Sunday afternoon and has earmarked a midday timeslot.

But Gyngell entered the debate today by telling The Daily Telegraph online he was in favour of televising a Saturday afternoon game with a 4pm kick-off.

Last week’s Daily Telegraph fan poll had overwhelming support for Sunday and Saturday afternoon football – at 2.30pm or 3pm kick-off times.

saint pebba

First Grade

that would mean the friday night game is delayed and choc full of ads as will the sunday games as there is no way 9, 7, or 10 will show footy live on a sunday as it doesn't rate high enough to get the revenue from the ads.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ten is far worse than 7 in that regard

they even have an AFL loving Victorian read the sport in Sydney and Thursday Night Live is also very anti-league pro AFL
I disagree, 10 is pro AFL but I don't see them putting anti-league stories as headline news like 7.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Of course they're anti-League. They don't have any rights to it and they're paying over $50m annually for the rights to the biggest competitor. Same for Ten. Why would they have one good word to say about League in that situation? In fact, far from counting against them, this is actually one very good reason to spread the rights around next time. Ensure everybody has some interest in giving the game fair coverage, because if they don't then they're damaging a product for which they're paying $40m plus (each) per year.

Leigh.
This would suggest Channel 9 should be anti AFL, but that is not the case, far from it.

I have no issue with the coverage being split, I just worry CH7 will not promote or use what they pay for as it is obvious to me the execs there do not like league at all.

Goddo

Bench
I disagree, 10 is pro AFL but I don't see them putting anti-league stories as headline news like 7.

Bollocks. 10 is far more anti league than 7 is.

All of their comedy shows (7 PM project, Good News Week, et cetera) are recorded and based in Melbourne, and all the Victorian comedians (I don't know how you get away with calling Dave Hughes a comedian, the guy is a fk stick) on there are always looking for a cheap joke at RL's expense.

Look at the way that Red head minga is all over himself covering AFL on Sports Tonight. RL most nights barely gets a mention. S14 gets more coverage.

7 does an okay coverage of League on their news, 10 barely bothers.

bobmar28

Bench
If we add 2 more teams:

Friday 7:30 - Channel 9 Live
Friday 7:30 - Go! Live

Saturday 3:00 - Fox Sports 2 Live
Saturday 5:00 - Fox Sports 2 Live
Saturday 7:30 - One Live

Sunday 1:30 - Fox Sports 2 Live (viewers choice)
Sunday 1:30 - Fox Sports 2 Live (viewers choice)
Sunday 3:30 - Channel 7 Live

Monday 7:00 - Fox Sports 2 Live

I could live with that. Not sure about channel 9 though, given Peter Overtons hatchet job on league.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.