What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talanexor

Juniors
Whoever pays the most and is prepared to show games live or as close to as possible. 7 won't show an NRL game when there's an AFL one in a competing timeslot - so either force 9 to lift their game, or sound out channel 10.

thommo4pm

Coach
Nine to have the NRL comp, ten or seven to get the State of Origin & other Rep matches (tests + City/country, World Cup's / 4 Nations etc).

or

Nine double header Friday night, Seven or 10 to have a free to air live match on Saturday nights with a Sunday arvo match also.
Fox retain their Super Saturday with the 3rd match being the replay of the Free to air live match.

Matt23

Staff member
Seven please, and I agree with what Newcastlerabbit just said regarding radio broadcaster as well.

Last edited:

beads6

First Grade
I think NRL viewers deserve a live game Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so whoever can give us that shoudl get the tv rights.

Perth Red

Post Whore
WHover pays the most, gives the game the respect it deserves and is willing to show the game nationally.

Goddo

Bench
Its not a case of 9 v 7, more complex than that. This is how I think the media deal will shape up

* 7 won't show friday night football live (they won't even show AFL live in Victoria against Better Homes and Gardens), so preferably 9 for fridays, but with a clause stating they have to show at least one match nationally live or within an hour of kick off. Imagine that: In Melbourne on a Friday night slot, options are NRL, Better Homes and Gardens, or whatever movie 10 has going.

* Saturday is a good sell to pay TV. If we expand and have an extra match to schedule we should make it free to air on Saturdays.

* The Sunday Arvo games should be open to all bidders, as should the Monday Night match. 7, 9, 10, Fox, whoever pays the most. Ideally, 7 gets one sunday arvo game, 10 gets the monday night game.

* Origin and Finals football open to all bidders, but with clauses to make sure they are broadcast nationally. I think 7 have the deeper pockets, so they will likely get these.

* Tests to be sold to make a profit for the RLIF (or the competing nations test sides for the ANZAC test) so the international game has a fighting pool of funds.

* Telstra to pay roughly $12m (or more) for the internet content rights. They pay nothing now and payed $12m for the AFL last time, so it isn't a big ask. Think of it this way. This could pay for the Storms $6m fund as well as a similar anual fund for developing league in Perth, or for the Reds. This is potentially an area that will have huge growth in the future too.

Last edited:

Evenflow

Bench
WHover pays the most, gives the game the respect it deserves and is willing to show the game nationally.

Of course price is very important but i think your second point is even more so. I mean there's no point and we'd be worse off if 9 throw more money at the NRL but still continue to treat the same like utter sh*t.

I'd rather earn a few million less and give the rights to a station/s who will give the game the best possible chance of getting out there to the maximum amount of people. That means showing it in the "non rugby league" states and giving the game every possible chance to grow in those markets. Any shortfall we took in dollars would be more than made up in new supporters down the track.

In saying that and i could be being far too optimistic/deluded, i don't think the NRL would be stupid enough this time given the competition from other networks to let the winning bidder dictate when they broadcast games and at more so at what time. Dor all the sh*t AFL cop around here just do exactly what they did, firmly stipulate that whoever wins the rights must broadcast games either live or ner live in non rugby league states and if the don't want to do that then give it to someone who will. It's not at all hard to work out.

m0nty

Juniors
Its not a case of 9 v 7, more complex than that. This is how I think the media deal will shape up

* 7 won't show friday night football live (they won't even show AFL live in Victoria against Better Homes and Gardens), so preferably 9 for fridays, but with a clause stating they have to show at least one match nationally live or within an hour of kick off. Imagine that: In Melbourne on a Friday night slot, options are NRL, Better Homes and Gardens, or whatever movie 10 has going.

Very much agreed. This is probably the best part of the schedule at the moment in terms of using it to attack other programming.

Also, don't discount the possibility of Ten showing one game on Ten and the other game on One, with replays of the other to follow.

* Saturday is a good sell to pay TV. If we expand and have an extra match to schedule we should make it free to air on Saturdays.

Union have had a lash at that with Super Saturdays but with little success. I agree that pay is the way to go though.

* The Sunday Arvo games should be open to all bidders, as should the Monday Night match. 7, 9, 10, Fox, whoever pays the most. Ideally, 7 gets one sunday arvo game, 10 gets the monday night game.

I doubt there will be a serious FTA bidder for MNF. Friday is the marquee night in Australia, not Monday as in the States. There would be too many problems with the Friday and Monday bidders - assuming they are different channels - fighting over the best games every week.

* Origin and Finals football open to all bidders, but with clauses to make sure they are broadcast nationally. I think 7 have the deeper pockets, so they will likely get these.

I suspect Seven winning Origin would a bad result for League. Nine would get the league to bend over backwards even more to skew the schedule for TV purposes to get value for money on H&A games.

* Tests to be sold to make a profit for the RLIF (or the competing nations test sides for the ANZAC test) so the international game has a fighting pool of funds.

I think pay is the answer for these games. Outside Anzac Day there isn't enough interest to get a decent price.

* Telstra to pay roughly $12m (or more) for the internet content rights. They pay nothing now and payed $12m for the AFL last time, so it isn't a big ask. Think of it this way. This could pay for the Storms $6m fund as well as a similar anual fund for developing league in Perth, or for the Reds. This is potentially an area that will have huge growth in the future too.

nrl.com gets about half the traffic that afl.com.au does, so I think $6M would be a fairer figure. Or half of whatever the AFL gets next time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thing with the internet rights is that the countries speeded up broadband system should be coming on line during the contract which allow ofr a massive development in tems of internet content available to fans. Hell Telstra could run their own Footy shows if they wanted to get into broadcasting.

ps NRL.com is pretty poor so not surprising it has fewer visitors.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Whoever offers the best deal, not necessarily the most cash. If one consortium promised to show live games nationwide but offered less $ I'd say take it. Getting the game on tv for more people to watch is the big thing we need.

Dazraider

Juniors
9 has to go,they stuff up the voice control when you want to watch the next friday night game and they never show after the games press release as well which is good to watch.
hope 7 gives more time to the game

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Seven and Ten... As a station, channel ten absolutely stinks but you cannot deny that they promote whatever sport they hold the rights to better than anyone.

Lambretta

First Grade
I would love all 3 commercial networks to have a piece of the pie. May see League get a fair go on all three networks then.

Agreed. I'm all for whatever offer gives League the greatest level of exposure and the largest return on equity.

Ten would be great because of One HD.

Neither Nine nor Seven use Go or Seven2 for broadcasting much sport.

Didgi

Nine, but with clear conditions regarding broadcasting into VIC etc, and as long as we get a decent slice of dough for it.

If Seven or TEN got it, the commentary would be sh*t, we wouldnt have any footy on a Sunday (clash with AFL), and it would probably be hardly advertised.

The better of two evils really.

Lambretta

First Grade
Seven and Ten... As a station, channel ten absolutely stinks but you cannot deny that they promote whatever sport they hold the rights to better than anyone.

Are you cereal?

Counting through the shows I watch on a regular basis, other than Rugby League, about the ONLY commercial station I watch is Ten.

House, NCIS, White Collar, Lie to Me etc all on Ten.

OK, so SBS is commercial, but the ABC isnt and they're about the two others I watch most frequently other than Foxtel sports and docos.

Didgi

Agreed. I'm all for whatever offer gives League the greatest level of exposure and the largest return on equity.

Ten would be great because of One HD.

Neither Nine nor Seven use Go or Seven2 for broadcasting much sport.

GO was always an entertainment sort of channel, while Seven2 is 'little known imo' - it mainly shows repeats or obscure shows, and I think they only brought it in because they needed a Digital Channel according to legislation of some sort. Could be a fit for RL though.

Status
Not open for further replies.