What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

intentcity

First Grade
Albury is the biggest city in southern NSW that is AFL dominated and it only has a population of about 55k.......... the town is about 60-30% in the favour of AFL over league and Wagga is about the opposite.

when I lived Albury there were 4 league comps in the town yet no League on free to air tv at a decent hour (96-97)

but those figures dont include wodonga, lavington, albury/wodonga/lavington are all the same town pretty much, id be surprised if over 120k of people didnt live in all 3.

El Diablo

Post Whore
but those figures dont include wodonga, lavington, albury/wodonga/lavington are all the same town pretty much, id be surprised if over 120k of people didnt live in all 3.

why would Wodonga be counted as SNSW when it's in f**king Victoriania :crazy:

scruffystorm

Juniors
It seems to me that Gallop and the NRL are placing much of their hopes on this TV deal. I think they need to be looking at other options to increase the games revenue not just the tv deal, which we should be getting about $800 mil for. It seems that the NRL relying heavily on the TV just like the clubs were doing when they relied so heavily on pokies.

Green Machine

First Grade
well i lived in albury as little as 3 mnths ago, i lived there for 10 yrs, let me tell you league doesnt even get mentioned there, try driving from albury to sydney and timing how long it takes for the goal posts to change, it takes a while.
There’s not much to see between Albury and Gundagai. What would be the population of the villages of Holbrook and Tarcutta be? I’ve travelled that road a few times and I’ve never seen goal posts in of any code in Tarcutta. I’ve seen Rugby League posts in Gundagai. I’ve been on the old highway as well. I’ve seen Rugby League posts in Yass, Goulburn, Moss Vale, Mittagong, Picton, Camden and Narellan. There’s a lot more to Southern NSW that a few AFL posts in Holbrook,

Wayne's World

First Grade
There’s not much to see between Albury and Gundagai. What would be the population of the villages of Holbrook and Tarcutta be? I’ve travelled that road a few times and I’ve never seen goal posts in of any code in Tarcutta. I’ve seen Rugby League posts in Gundagai. I’ve been on the old highway as well. I’ve seen Rugby League posts in Yass, Goulburn, Moss Vale, Mittagong, Picton, Camden and Narellan. There’s a lot more to Southern NSW that a few AFL posts in Holbrook,
I'm from Gundagai and now live in Tumut i can tell you no AFL gets played in both those towns, although tumut has talked about getting a team here. Wagga Wagga mainly league, but do play afl. Tarcutta and Holbrook wouldn't have even 7000 people combined in them. I have a sister-in-law in Lavington as well and the main reason i think they play Afl more then league is they get Victorian TV in both Lavington and Albury, so get no league at a disent hour and media promotes Afl in the process.
League would dominate NSW hands down and Southern NSW.

intentcity

First Grade
I'm from Gundagai and now live in Tumut i can tell you no AFL gets played in both those towns, although tumut has talked about getting a team here. Wagga Wagga mainly league, but do play afl. Tarcutta and Holbrook wouldn't have even 7000 people combined in them. I have a sister-in-law in Lavington as well and the main reason i think they play Afl more then league is they get Victorian TV in both Lavington and Albury, so get no league at a disent hour and media promotes Afl in the process.
League would dominate NSW hands down and Southern NSW.

absoulute rubbish.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
absoulute rubbish.

Grew up in Goulburn and didn't even know they played the game there for 34 years, the population is around 30k these days so when you're a kid, you end up knowing every area of a small town, yet fumbleball wasn't seen or heard of amonst 99% of the locals.

intentcity

First Grade
Grew up in Goulburn and didn't even know they played the game there for 34 years, the population is around 30k these days so when you're a kid, you end up knowing every area of a small town, yet fumbleball wasn't seen or heard of amonst 99% of the locals.

yeah fair enough, i should say when i say southern NSW i mean deep southern, as in the bottom tip around the albury area up to around wagga, but the further north you go the less support there is obviously..

oh really?, how old are you?, you sound like a little girl having a tantrum, how do you the figure the NRL outrate the AFL? and your calling me an idiot, you have no idea.

all the bloody whining that goes on here is incredible, ohh ohhh ohhh gallop cant negotiate, the big bad AFL had their deal done first so thats why we got stuff all, it was a conspiricy by news limited, grow up.

guys this duche loves this stuff.....

he is a real deadsh*t. come on, THIS [buming for attention on a rl forum] is the BEST thing he has to do with his time

Its one thing to get a kick out of it, and its another to be pathetic, intencity.

just think about this fool, what a sad, pathetic, lonely duche bag he must be.

Hey, intencity, you dipstick, take a look outside, hop off the computer, and engage people face to face for once in your life.

....right......they usually dislike you on sight....

do it anyway....some desperate mong is bound to find you bearable for a now-and-then association.

how utterly pathetic.

look mate, i dont like being called a F ing idiot, im not one eyed bias muppet like some on here, i look at figures, i read reports, im very interested in TV rights between the 2 codes, it doesn mean im anti NRL.

oh so you have constipation of the ideas and diarrhea of speach.

and you have no idea how to communicate anyway....

right.....thats low even for you.....

you need to f off, and do some good in the world.....all you are doing here is pissing people off with your bulldust....not because you are riling us up.....but because what you are saying is so fundamentally flawed we CANNOT allow any mention of it to go unchecked.

And we will check it until your intestine's are empty, pal.

lturner

Juniors
So - the negotiations are in the hands of a News Limited lackey with no balls and a bunch of NRL club execs with the business expertise of Pauline Hanson.

This TV deal will be worse than the last one - then Gallop will offer Tiwi Islands $100,000 to play out of Gosford.

lol :lol:

greenhat

Juniors
yeah fair enough, i should say when i say southern NSW i mean deep southern, as in the bottom tip around the albury area up to around wagga, but the further north you go the less support there is obviously..

Intentcity in one page you have admitted that
A: you haven't ever lived in NSW and are a born and bred Victorian, and
B: after being shown up by locals for your bullsh*t claims about AFL in Southern NSW, you try to pretend you were only talking about the small area on the border.

Pretty major trolling fails there, but because I'm in AFL dominated southern NSW, I'll award you a point anyway.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/business/value-of-origin-series-is-a-135m-question-20100615-ydea.html

Value of Origin series is a $13.5m question
ROY MASTERS
June 16, 2010

A report commissioned by the Queensland Rugby League values State of Origin broadcasting rights, including tonight's game in Brisbane, ''within the range of a high of $16 million and a low of $11 million annually, irrespective of which TV network buys them''.

Channel Nine now pays $40 million cash a year for all rugby league free-to-air rights, including NRL matches, Origin, finals, tests and Four Nations games. The NRL chief executive, David Gallop, has indicated he may unbundle the various properties for sale when the existing rights agreement concludes at the end of the 2012 season.

The Network Seven boss David Leckie has declared an interest in buying the rights to State of Origin's three games each year, which poses this question: would Nine be interested in bidding for free-to air rights for the NRL games it now shows each week if it lost the code's mid-season jewel?

If we take the midpoint of the Queensland Rugby League valuation, $13.5 million, and subtract it from the $40 million Nine now pays for its three games a week for 26 rounds, plus 10 high-rating finals matches and Tests, the answer is yes, Nine would pay $26.5 million for nearly 100 games.

Nine's senior executives, among many others, admit the NRL rights will go for a higher figure next time. Would they pay more without State of Origin, which Nine can thank for winning the ratings week in all markets in Australia when Queensland beat NSW in the first game last month? Nine certainly would not promote Origin matches if they were shown on another network.

But the AFL has found that what it loses in promotion when games are spread over networks is compensated for by the variety of shows that grow up around the product throughout TV land. AFL is shown on Seven, Ten and Foxtel, and all have pre- and post-game shows, with a mix of entertainment.

Nine no longer holds the AFL rights, but its Melbourne Thursday night Footy Show out-rates them all.

Seven already has a rugby league program, The Matty Johns Show, without State of Origin rights.

Nor could Nine commentators ignore talking about Origin in the weeks leading up to the selection of players, or the post-game analysis.

In any case, the three Origin football games are such a valuable property, a mandatory inclusion in the top 10 TV programs every year, they scarcely need promoting. Sport, in fact, is used on TV to promote other programs - the so-called halo effect. Channel Seven uses the Australian Open tennis tournament to shamelessly promote its new summer of shows. Nine relies on its Sunday afternoon game successfully to promote the 6pm news in Sydney and Brisbane.

Nine holds a first and last clause over its rugby league rights, but it is an unusual option in the sense the network's final offer is voided if its initial offer falls short of a competitor's bid by a specified percentage.

There is also uncertainty about whether Gallop can unbundle the rights while this clause exists and, if so, whether he must grant Nine a last option on all properties.

Industry experts believe that if a combined Seven bid for Origin and Test rights and a Ten bid for NRL matches exceeded Nine's first offer by more than the specified percentage, Nine's right to present an equal offer would lapse.

Nine is mindful it must make a serious challenge for the rights with the first offer but Ten's role will be crucial. Ten's top executives have met Gallop, but industry contacts say the network is close to finalising another deal with Seven, Foxtel and the AFL.

If this transpires, Nine will have the free-to-air rights to its three NRL games a week to itself, with a possible legal action over Seven's challenge for Origin rights.

The Queensland Rugby League has taken legal action over its perceived sidelining by its brother league, the NSW Rugby League. The NSWRL agreed with News Ltd that the two states would have minor representation in the reconstitution of the game to create an independent commission.

With a war chest of $6.5 million, the Queensland Rugby League has the resources to pursue court action to get a bigger role in the governing of the game. And a victory in Brisbane tonight - delivering the Maroons a record fifth consecutive Origin series - will further puff their chests.

Status
Not open for further replies.