What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
haha that selling houses line is one of his best. Geez I hope he doesn't go into real estate when RL finally wakes up and realises what a poor CEO he is!

BDGS

Bench
i'd like to know too

9 have more dedicated AFL shows than NRL

9 are absolute merkins. ever see them promoting the NRL during cricket when they wank on about other crap shows?

nope

Actually this year i have noticed they have talked about the NRL during times where the Cricket would of be on nation wide. They spoke about the four nations final and also the Dragons in the NRL grand final. It was funny cause that James Brayshaw (or whatever his name is) was on during the time and he was very quite about everything when he usually doesn't shut up.

Tong Greg also spoke about his beloved Roosters and i think Heals mentioned the Broncos at some point all during this years commentary.

applesauce

Bench
Actually this year i have noticed they have talked about the NRL during times where the Cricket would of be on nation wide. They spoke about the four nations final and also the Dragons in the NRL grand final. It was funny cause that James Brayshaw (or whatever his name is) was on during the time and he was very quite about everything when he usually doesn't shut up.

Tong Greg also spoke about his beloved Roosters and i think Heals mentioned the Broncos at some point all during this years commentary.

Tubby talked about the Dragons winning the premiership but then Warnie said "pffftt who watches rugby? I watch real footy, the Aussie footy."

(Legand) Merkin

I'm starting to wish Neil Whittaker was back in the saddle, that's how bad Gallop is when he opens his mouth.

And we don't want Gallop handling the next TV rights at all. Go away David.

Brutus

Referee
Tubby talked about the Dragons winning the premiership but then Warnie said "pffftt who watches rugby? I watch real footy, the Aussie footy."

(Legand) Merkin

Warney should have a look at the most-watched shows on the network he works for and I think the fat clown would be shocked to find that 'rugby' rules the roost.

Certainly more than watched his stupid show. Has it been axed yet?

These Victorians refuse to acknowledge other codes.

Brutus

Referee
Just heard John Chalk interviewed and he said News LTD will only have first and last rights until 2015, meaning the next TV deal only.

Sounds like the QRL have done some mighty fine negotiating.

applesauce

Bench
Just heard John Chalk interviewed and he said News LTD will only have first and last rights until 2015, meaning the next TV deal only.

Sounds like the QRL have done some mighty fine negotiating.

Plus some more guaranteed funds for grassroots.

Was it now worth the wait you cynical NSW bastards?

If first/last is only now till 2015 that is amazing news and well worth the drama leading up to it. :D:D:D

Dragonwest

Juniors
Channel 9 are losing my support more and more by the day. This morning on Today, after reading the news bulletin instead of talking about the IC historical agreement they start sh*ting on about the AFL trialing freekicks against whoever touches it last accross the line in their preseason cup. Seriously what the hell!?#$!!!

Inaction speaks louder than words in AFL's non-response to ACCC Roy Masters
December 15, 2010

There has been a muted response by sports administrators on what they think about recent share acquisitions in Channel Ten. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission called for submissions on the issue, but when its deadline passed on Friday it had heard barely a peep from the sports bodies.

On November 26 the commission wrote to Cricket Australia, the AFL, NRL and other sports asking for comment on the purchase of shares in Ten by James Packer and Lachlan Murdoch, particularly as it relates to the lessening of competition for sports broadcasting rights.

Advertisement: Story continues below Packer owns 25 per cent of Foxtel and 50 per cent of Fox Sports, and Murdoch is a director of News Corp, which owns the same shareholding.

The sports addressed are all members of the Coalition of Major Professional and Participation Sports and it was assumed it would make a submission. But the AFL, whose games are broadcast by Ten, Foxtel and Seven, told COMPPS it would not make a submission and, even if did, it would be a separate response.

The NRL, whose broadcast rights are held by Fox Sports and Nine, said it would not make a submission but would be happy to meet the ACCC.

Cricket Australia, whose rights are shared between Nine and Fox Sports, did not make a submission but met the commission on Monday. It offered the bravest response, telling the Herald: ''We are keen for the marketplace to be as competitive as it can be.'' A commission spokeswoman would not reveal which sports had received letters or replied.

The commission's written questions allowed sports to comment on whether they believed the possible closure on Ten's 24-hour sports channel, One, could be designed to protect the investment of Packer-Murdoch in their pay TV monopoly.

Some of the questions asked were: ''Please provide your views on the extent to which Ten competes with PMG [owners of Fox Sports] and/or Foxtel for the acquisition of sporting content? Do you consider that the [share] acquisitions are likely to change the incentives of Ten and PMG and Foxtel to compete vigorously for the acquisition of premium sporting content or other content in future?''

The AFL's refusal to make a submission raised eyebrows at the NRL, whose rights contract expires at the end of the 2012 season, a year after the AFL deal. Both codes expect $1 billion from their next five-year agreements, although insiders say the AFL will receive $900 million and the NRL $700 million.

The AFL now receives $780 million and will have an extra game to sell, while the NRL's existing deal is worth about $450 million, an undervalued fee that does not reflect the code's superior cumulative audience ratings this season.

Foxtel-Fox Sports are expected to supply most of the increased fees, particularly for the AFL, which plans to conclude its negotiations before the NRL can begin its.

This has raised fears Foxtel's ''pot of gold'' will be gobbled up by the AFL and explains, according to the conspiracy theorists, the code's non-response to the commission.

If the AFL already has a sweetheart deal with Foxtel to televise the third and fourth best games each week, it does not want to be antagonising Packer-Murdoch with critical letters to the commission.

This is ironic, considering the commission's explanation for not commenting on which sports had replied to its letter. ''We want sports to be frank and fearless in their responses,'' a spokeswoman said.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/inac...-afls-nonresponse-to-accc-20101214-18wuh.html

BunniesMan

Immortal
Wow, nice work from the QRL. I hope some of the mexicans on here are forthcoming with an apology or two.
It's about time you canetoads did something useful for us.
Channel 9 are losing my support more and more by the day. This morning on Today, after reading the news bulletin instead of talking about the IC historical agreement they start sh*ting on about the AFL trialing freekicks against whoever touches it last accross the line in their preseason cup. Seriously what the hell!?#$!!!
Today is a national show, and the IC news will happen when it officially starts, and especially when they start choosing commissioners.

babyg

Juniors
Good stuff from those old QRL bastards. The game needs more people willing to stand up and protect the game.

Canard

Immortal
The next TV deal is going to be the most important in the games history, this is a poor outcome for mine.

This gives NEWS the upper hand.

Last edited:

m0nty

Juniors
Roy says, "The AFL's refusal to make a submission raised eyebrows at the NRL", yeah right Roy. The NRL didn't make a submission either, because every sport is conflicted in making public statements about TV stations.

Hinting at conspiracy theories about collusion between the AFL and PMG is rather pissweak, and suggests that Roy's been talking to NRL executives who are looking for excuses as to why they don't get nearly as good a deal. It's loser talk. Rugby league is good enough as a product to rival AFL's rights deals if it has the best people selling it for the right reasons. It's a bit cowardly to blame the AFL boogeyman when it's incompetent executives who are at fault for not getting the best deal done.

Status
Not open for further replies.