What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reality is AFL will be playing games in every capital city barring Canberra this year. Like it or not that is what interests the advertisors. They seem far more interested in potential reach than actual reach.

Major pop centres

1. Sydney - RL , AFL soon to have 2 teams but small TV viewing audience
2. Melbourne - AFL. RL growing presence but still no FTA and small crowd
3. Brisbane - RL, AFL team
4. Perth - AFL, no NRL presence
5. Adelaide - AFL , no NRL presence
6. Gold Coast - RL, soon to have AFL team
7. Newcastle - RL, no AFL presence
8. Canberra - RL, no AFL presence
9. Wollongong - RL, no AFL presence
10. Sunshine Coast - RL, no AFL presence
11. Geelong - AFL, no RL presence
12. Hobart - AFL, no RL presence
13. Townsville - RL, no AFL presence

Population with no NRL presence = 3.2million
Population with no AFL presence = 1.5 million

Biggest differnce in the National argument is that AFL is on FTA in every state and NRL isn't. Also AFL gets plenty of newspaper coverage nationally whilst NRL doesn't.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...m-dollars-maximum-exposure-20100302-pge7.html

Gallop to look for maximum dollars, maximum exposure
GREG PRICHARD
March 3, 2010

NRL boss David Gallop says the game's eagerly anticipated new television deal could lead to games on free-to-air TV on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday of each round.

Speculation about what shape league would take on television when the new deal comes into force in 2013 has centred mainly on the free-to-air element and whether Channel Seven could wrest all, or part, of Friday nights and Sunday afternoons away from Nine.

But Gallop said because the free-to-air and pay deals were due to be done at the same time, everything was up for grabs. If Fox Sports wanted to keep its time slots on Saturdays and Mondays, it might have to bid for them against possible interest from the networks.

''The game is uniquely placed to offer the club competition, State of Origin and Test matches as distinct properties,'' Gallop said yesterday. ''The question will be whether exclusivity provides a greater value than splitting up the properties, but we're certainly going into it with an open mind towards splitting it up. Equally, we're open-minded to the individual nights [of club football] being sold separately as well.

Asked if that meant games could be shown on free-to-air across the four days, Gallop replied: ''That's certainly a possibility. We're looking to maximise dollars and we're also looking to get the game in front of as many eyeballs as possible, and free-to-air remains the best opportunity to get the game in front of the most eyeballs.

Gallop said interest in free-to-air rights was not restricted to Nine and Seven, and that Ten would also like to get involved. ''All networks have indicated an interest,'' he said.

The Herald contacted Ten's head of corporate communications, Jeannette McLoughlin, to try to establish the extent of the network's interest in gaining a piece of the pie. She said: ''We're always in the market for rights when they become available, but we can't comment on any specific negotiations.''

Gallop has so far been advised on the negotiation front by sports broadcasting consultants LEK, but he said a committee representing the game's key stakeholders and headed by himself would join the consultants when discussions heated up.

He said the NRL had never been in a better position to negotiate television broadcast rights deals. ''The fact all of the deals come up at the same time - free-to-air and pay TV, as well as new media and the competition's major sponsorship deal - will enable the game to have the most effective auction of its rights that it's ever had,'' Gallop said. ''It's the first time everything's been on the table at the same time and that's why the game will be able to hold an auction better than ever before. If we were going into a situation where some rights were under contract for a couple of years longer than others, it would be more difficult to extract the value we think we'll be able to extract.''

Asked if, as a result of much bigger TV rights deals, the salary cap could rise from the existing $4.2 million to $6 million, as suggested by Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle in January, Gallop replied: ''That's not unrealistic.''

El Diablo

Post Whore
argh

Gallop should be kept away from rights deals and please don't go to Ten. i'd prefere to see Ten with no NRL or AFL

I'd say those sentiments are a great leap forward, especially the stuff about splitting the deal if that's the best outcome. I just don't really believe the talk will be backed up by actions. Gallop just hasn't got a good track record in negotiating good deals for the game. In fact his record couldn't be much worse. He also talks the game down. He needs to prove he has learned his lessons this time and that he can stand up to News and Nine. I won't hold my breath.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gallop replied: ''That's certainly a possibility. We're looking to maximise dollars and we're also looking to get the game in front of as many eyeballs as possible

Here's an idea, get it on at a decent time to 45% of the country!

smacky

Juniors
A positive article. But cant really blame people for being sceptical. I doubt the rights will be split up over different networks but whatever gets more money I'm happy with.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If we really do manage to get $100mill+ extra a year what will it be spent on. If they increase the current clubs grants to $6mill to cover the full salary and continue to fund Storm to the tune of $4million a year that is approx $20mill spent. Wonder what the other $80mill will go on?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I would love to see footy on every day on FTA, but I cant see it happening. Really the double header on friday night is a ratings winner, its a great idea. So that would mean 5 games on FTA, which if we expand will mean 4 games on PayTV, which I cant see Fox paying that much for. I think maybe 4 games on FTA with either a Saturday game or the Monday game on FTA. Monday on FTA could really be a winner, but maybe not with crowds.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If we really do manage to get $100mill+ extra a year what will it be spent on. If they increase the current clubs grants to $6mill to cover the full salary and continue to fund Storm to the tune of $4million a year that is approx $20mill spent. Wonder what the other $80mill will go on?

I wonder if the NRL would consider buying ANZ Stadium or the SFS or even Suncorp. Would it be financially viable?

Any other ways to invest the money? Should we expand expand expand?? Put most of it to junior development?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd bring in Wellington and the Reds and offer $4million a year for 5 years for a Sydney team to move to the CC. Offer decent financial incentives for teams to play games in Adelaide, Darwin and PNG, provide more funding to jnr and country RL, provide financial support to PNG to enter the Q'land cup, Fiji and Samoa to develop the game there, NZRL for development and last but not least employ a decent marketing team and give them a sizeable budget.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder if the NRL would consider buying ANZ Stadium or the SFS or even Suncorp. Would it be financially viable?

Any other ways to invest the money? Should we expand expand expand?? Put most of it to junior development?

Realistically for around $30mill a year in payments for 8 years they could build a very nice 35,000 stadium in Western Sydney for 3 teams to use.

Either that or buy SFS and charge peppercorn rent for usage to encourage teams to play there and make $'s.

bobmar28

Bench
argh

Gallop should be kept away from rights deals and please don't go to Ten. i'd prefere to see Ten with no NRL or AFL

They would still have NFL and Nascar (which I watched last night).
Of course I'm talking about their sports channel, One HD.

petetheileet

First Grade
What are the chances by 2013 that 7 or 10 will have a FTA dedicated sports channel, shouldnt we be wanting it to go to the network that has the best one of them so we can have as much NRL on as possible??

smithie

Juniors
Would love to see a Sunday and/or Monday night game on OneHD. I wouldn't mind seeing Jimmy Smith, Joel Caine, Adam Hawse and Bill Woods hosting NRL games (they are the NRL guys on ONE's program Thursday Night Live). Jimmy Smith does a great job on Triple M on Monday nights with Gus.

I just think it's disappointing that a dedicated free-to-air sports channel currently has no NRL.

N.B. Wouldn't mind seeing Super League games on ONE too.

Springs

First Grade
No Ten! Unless they finally decide to broadcast it out here in the country, how is giving a game to Ten going to get the game to as many eyes as possible?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Would love to see a Sunday and/or Monday night game on OneHD. I wouldn't mind seeing Jimmy Smith, Joel Caine, Adam Hawse and Bill Woods hosting NRL games (they are the NRL guys on ONE's program Thursday Night Live). Jimmy Smith does a great job on Triple M on Monday nights with Gus.

:lol:

Bill Woods spends the night bagging League and sits on the AFL panel

he aint a League fan anymore

Paulie Jay

Juniors
"...NRL boss David Gallop says the game's eagerly anticipated new television deal could lead to games on free-to-air TV on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday of each round..."

And I will believe that when I see it...

Shorty

Staff member
argh

No Ten! Unless they finally decide to broadcast it out here in the country, how is giving a game to Ten going to get the game to as many eyes as possible?
Um have you people seen what ten does with it's sports?
They promote the hell out of it and look after every sport the televise (with the exception of the SB) very well.

You're telling me you want to stay with channel 9, who treats the NRL like crap?
:lol:

Bill Woods spends the night bagging League and sits on the AFL panel

he aint a League fan anymore
Because he'd be doing that if ten bought it:roll:
$$ talks.

I'm sick of nein, give it to someone else.

smithie

Juniors

The new rights won't start until 2013. By then the whole country will have converted to digital TV. The old analogue network is scheduled to be turned off by the end of 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.