What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
That's true. And if we do keep the status quo in our next deal (god forbid) there will be 4 times as much live AFL than NRL in rugby league heartland.

There needs to be at least 3 (preferably 4) live games on FTA inthe next contract, any less will be embarassing.

They will be legally obliged to with the new AS laws will they not? live and in full i thought was what was/will be legislated as mentioned in the AFL press conference

Cletus

First Grade
They will be legally obliged to with the new AS laws will they not? live and in full i thought was what was/will be legislated as mentioned in the AFL press conference

Live and in full is just for the tier 1 events, e.g. grand finals. It's within four hours for H&A games.

I'm stunned at the amount the AFL have managed. I assume a lot of it comes from the Telstra phone rights. it's a shocking deal for 7 though, ratings are going to be well down for their games due to the simulcast with Fox and they will be up against 2 games on Fox on saturday night and sundays. But you can bet Fox will cry poor when it comes to the NRL rights, it's guarenteed to happen.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...d-by-afls-riches/story-e6frg7mf-1226046448283

NRL boss David Gallop excited by AFL's riches

Brent Read
April 28, 2011 5:53PM

NRL officials believe the AFL's billion-dollar broadcasting deal is a win for their code.

NRL chief executive David Gallop today claimed that everyone involved in rugby league should be excited by the AFL’s outcome, which resulted in the rival code receiving $1.253 billion – including more than $1.1 million cash – for its on-line and broadcasting rights for the next five years.

The NRL’s existing broadcasting deal runs until the end of the 2012 and formal talks over a new deal are on hold until the formation of the independent commission.

The commission was expected to take control of the game on May 1 but it now appears certain to be delayed given the stakeholders are yet to agree on the inaugural eight commissioners.

However, the NRL’s ratings are at record levels this season, fuelling hopes the game could go close to matching the AFL by breaking the billion-dollar barrier.

“Everyone in the game should be excited by the outcome (for the AFL),” Gallop said.

“We look at it like having food for hungry people. Our sport is producing outstanding results for television at the moment.”

Gallop would have been delighted to hear Channel Seven supremo David Leckie’s response today when he was asked whether the network’s massive bid for AFL would rule them out of the race for rugby league.

Leckie simply replied: “No.”

beave

Coach
Exactly, the longer it drags on, the more chance our great game has of being bent over and u know what'd..........

Third Bugler

Juniors
It's not that easy mate, and you know it.
If they offer 300mill for the current set up and don't budge, what bargaining chip do we have?

You've nailed it.

Cutting one's nose off to etc may be a bargain for plastic surgeons, but not for the newly-noseless...

Dogs Of War

Coach
Exactly, the longer it drags on, the more chance our great game has of being bent over and u know what'd..........

If anything, it means that given how Channel 7 has allowed Foxtel to show all the games live in simulcast, it has changed how Free to air views showing sport, realising that they can have there cake and eat it too. Just really about getting Foxtel to pay up, and now the NRL can let the networks decide how they are going to do this, who knows, it may be why Channel 7 went down this route, they now can have a go at the NRL as well, using a similar arrangement, and lock up both big winter sports in the country leaving the other 2 channels with nothing on a Friday night/Sunday afternoon.

Dogs Of War

Coach
If they offer 300mill for the current set up and don't budge, what bargaining chip do we have?

I am sure one of the networks would overbid that. Given that Channel 9 has first and last rights, but only if they aren't outbid by 20%. Channel 9 would want to have Foxtel putting in a fair chunk of cash to ensure that doesn't occur. Not that I would mind Channel 9 getting outbid, and opening the rights up so that slots can be sold (who knows, maybe even more Free to air games spread around the networks, which would be disastrous for Foxtel, and great for Rugby League)

BDGS

Bench

Apparently there are whispers about Ten getting games off foxtel, they want it badly because they've got no AFL. Channel 7 desperately wants State of Origin football and Channel 9 have got rid of other major sporting events like Wimbledon to bid for the NRL. We even have the Brisbane 2 NRL bid facebook page saying: Whispers are that 10 / oneHD will pay over the Billion dollar mark to get access. This means 9 will get to match it as last rights holder.

Why am i the only one excited about our next deal?

Eels Dude

Coach
This could well turn out to be a good thing. Now that Channel 10 have lost the AFL rights they would probably be very keen to up their bid for the NRL and at least put a lot of pressure on Nine to up their price if they want keep the NRL rights.

BDGS

Bench
I am sure one of the networks would overbid that. Given that Channel 9 has first and last rights, but only if they aren't outbid by 20%. Channel 9 would want to have Foxtel putting in a fair chunk of cash to ensure that doesn't occur. Not that I would mind Channel 9 getting outbid, and opening the rights up so that slots can be sold (who knows, maybe even more Free to air games spread around the networks, which would be disastrous for Foxtel, and great for Rugby League)

Exactly!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.