What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Walking Dead

bileduct

Coach
Latest episode was pretty good.

Though the writers are still f**king lazy though. They need to really find a different way to have people killed off other than having them do something really f**king stupid and then just stand there like an idiot whilst being snacked on.

mackdadday

Juniors
Bloody hilarious show...The girls can take them out by the dozen with a hammer but the entire american military with their tanks and jet fighters was annihilated by these zombies at the slow speed they choose to stumble about at :)

Misanthrope

Staff member
The part i find a bit far fetched is that there are survivors in the prison. I think they were prisoners as they had overalls on. How could they survive in there for that long? Obviously they had been in that room a whle as it was handcuffed shut.

They were in the cafeteria

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Bloody hilarious show...The girls can take them out by the dozen with a hammer but the entire american military with their tanks and jet fighters was annihilated by these zombies at the slow speed they choose to stumble about at

I am still undecided as to whether I'd prefer to face The Walking Dead style zombies or the I am Legend style zombies in the event of a zombie apocalypse. The Walking Dead zombies just lumber around, but they are there all the time. Conversely, the I am Legend zombies are super quick, strong, and have the ability to climb fences, although they can't handle the UV light.

In any event, I think I'd choose to sail the world Kevin Costner/Water World style. Can zombies swim or charter a boat?

butchmcdick

Immortal
I was pretty happy with tonight's episode

I downloaded it rather than watching it on fox due to the crazy amount of ads fox put in last week

Parra Pride

Coach
I wanted that long haired prisoner (didn't catch his name) to die, needless to say I was happy when he had a machete lodged in his skull.

I find Lori incredibly stupid, "Oh, that guy could be a walker at any moment, but give him CPR!!!" Hershel surviving saves her from her own stupidity.

Springs

First Grade
I wanted that long haired prisoner (didn't catch his name) to die, needless to say I was happy when he had a machete lodged in his skull.

I find Lori incredibly stupid, "Oh, that guy could be a walker at any moment, but give him CPR!!!" Hershel surviving saves her from her own stupidity.

I loved the way Rick handled the prisoners this time 'round. Last time in the comics it was 'Hey what you guys in for? (They all lie) Alright, you guys can hang with us'. And the way he killed the leader plus the little bitch running away was well done. This season seems to be the opposite of the last two, moving things forward a lot quicker rather than drawing things out.

And then Hershel living was just what I wanted. Him dying would have been predictable and stale really. Him living gives us a man who has survived a walker bite, a group member who will need to learn to live with one leg and (hopefully) someone to do Maggie and Glenn's wedding later in the season. And another leader-figure apart from Rick.

And plus points for Carl becoming cold like he is in the comics and more plus points for Lori not being as annoying as she was.

Zigwaa, the part with survivors in the prison is completely from the comics and makes sense with the latest episode anyway.
Bloody hilarious show...The girls can take them out by the dozen with a hammer but the entire american military with their tanks and jet fighters was annihilated by these zombies at the slow speed they choose to stumble about at :)
lol, this is the thing you have to ignore with any zombie thing. If we can beat an army of fully armoured, fully armed, organised humans, there's no way a group of dead rotting walkers could overthrow society.
It's pretty much why the series started with a coma. The whole post-apocalypse scenario is cool, the apocalypse itself though is a bit far fetched.

They need to really find a different way to have people killed off other than having them do something really f**king stupid and then just stand there like an idiot whilst being snacked on.

Because every person in the episode, nay, the entire show, has only been killed like that.

Parra Pride

Coach
lol, this is the thing you have to ignore with any zombie thing. If we can beat an army of fully armoured, fully armed, organised humans, there's no way a group of dead rotting walkers could overthrow society.
It's pretty much why the series started with a coma. The whole post-apocalypse scenario is cool, the apocalypse itself though is a bit far fetched.

It's not really a case of zombies over powering tanks, jets etc. it's a matter of them out numbering them sooner or later. I like the way it was handled at the start of 28 Weeks later, all it took was one guy getting infected, and before anyone knew what was going on it spread like wild fire. It would be even worse in The Walking Dead considering everyone is infected, so unless they die of a blow to the head they will be back. Of course it does require a little suspension of disbelief, but that's to be expected when dealing with any type of monster/horror series.

bileduct

Coach
Because every person in the episode, nay, the entire show, has only been killed like that.
Let me guess, fanboy, I have to read the comics to understand why the big black dude just goes for a stroll and allows himself to get surrounded by zombies.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Have decided to start watching the first two series online before the third starts on TV here (NZ) in a couple of weeks, as I've only seen a grand total of around 20 minutes of both series combined when I've randomly come across it on TV previously.

Just watched the first episode last night, what's the deal with the opening scene before the title credits, where Rick shoots the zombie girl? Was that solely to establish that yes this is a zombie apocalypse series? Just seemed disjointed from the rest of the episode.

Gonna be interesting separating any differences between the comic series (which I powered through in a 1-2 month period earlier this year thanks to local library) and TV series, as well as trying to not think too hard about what I know about the various character arcs, who dies when and how etc...

Springs

First Grade
Let me guess, fanboy, I have to read the comics to understand why the big black dude just goes for a stroll and allows himself to get surrounded by zombies.

He gets snuck up on by one. And doesn't die that way,
he just gets scratched and then gets his head caved in by his supposed friend.
And no, it's that you complain about how they need to find other ways for people to die when only one character has sort of died like that. It's hilarious how every week you whinge tirelessly but keep watching. It would be like me watching True Blood.

It's not really a case of zombies over powering tanks, jets etc. it's a matter of them out numbering them sooner or later. I like the way it was handled at the start of 28 Weeks later, all it took was one guy getting infected, and before anyone knew what was going on it spread like wild fire. It would be even worse in The Walking Dead considering everyone is infected, so unless they die of a blow to the head they will be back. Of course it does require a little suspension of disbelief, but that's to be expected when dealing with any type of monster/horror series

28 days later was a bit different. The infected turn straight away and they seem to lose no abilities at all. It could be worse in The Walking Dead but they don't turn as quickly or die as quickly and everyone around would be notified before anything bad happened. They could outnumber us eventually but it would have to happen very quickly or the government be very stupid in it's combat tactics.
Like in World War Z where in a battle they use anti tank weapons and demoralisation by wounding for some reason.
In The Walking Dead, from what I can remember, most of the soldiers supposedly panicked and deserted their posts
I like the Shaun of the Dead scenario, where the defenseless city is overrun in no time, yet the army still defeats them easily.

bileduct

Coach
He gets snuck up on by one.
Uh huh, stealth zombies.

And no, it's that you complain about how they need to find other ways for people to die when only one character has sort of died like that.
I am pretty sure that if I went back through the last two seasons and counted up every death that was the result of sheer stupidity and/or lazy writing there would be more than one.

I'll think about watching season two again next time I need a really f**king powerful sedative.

It's hilarious how every week you whinge tirelessly but keep watching. It would be like me watching True Blood.
I think it's hilarious that you can't help but respond to my posts when I am obviously quite deliberately trolling the shit out of you :)

I'll get next week's review in a bit earlier.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
My 2 cents regarding the military's failure to control the zombies:

1. Most militaries have strict and specific ROAs when it comes to opening fire on a civilian population. Presumably early on into the infestation the focus was likely on a cure rather than on eradication and tactics probably didnt change until it was too late. Bombing or shelling entire cities would have been a very unlikely option in the early stages

2. We dont know if military personnel weren't the ones who were worst effected early on. Where was the epicentre of the infection? Who was patient zero?

3. A large number of enlisted personnel likely deserted when things got bad or when the words "judgement day" was being thrown around in a country like the US where the number of extreme christans are high. Would you stay and fight when all you can think about is your family back home in Texas/Akansas/Ohio being eaten alive by the undead?

Springs

First Grade
You can mark anything down to lazy writing if you wanted to. And one of the main fears about zombies is they can sneak up on you, especially when there's a lot of noisy fighting going on not 2 metres away.

And JW no. 3 is the explanation given in the comics if I remember. And it's plausible if army and civilians alike are dumb enough to act that way. But I would say even a small, fully disciplined, armed and armoured force would be able to beat thousands of lumbering, stupid dead people.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
I agree mate but the problem would have been finding them all. Considering the virus is carried by everyone and re-animates people who died of any cause not involving the brain, I can see how places like hospitals and nursing homes could produce Walkers in large numbers without anyone really knowing what was going on. Not to mention people being shot or stabbed on suspicion by over zealous armed civilians.

I dunno. I guess it would be a pretty shitty show if it only lasted 2 eps because the army came rolling through and napalmed the lot.

PJ

First Grade
For those arguing about how could the military not handle it read World War Z and the battle of Yonkers chapter goes into a lot of it.

Something along the lines of "our whole military was built to shock and awe, but what do you do when your enemy can't be shocked or awed"

Heaps more details about weapons that did and didn't work and what tactics ended up evolving to help go back on the offensive.

Great read.

Springs

First Grade
I listed WWZ as an example above. In Yonkers they use anti tank weapons and 'demoralisation' tactics. WWZ is pretty much a what if the dead rose and our army was completely geniused scenario.

The overzealous civilians would be a good point. The panic would be just as dangerous as the zombies. I remember back in the floods in early March, groceries and fuel were all sold out in a day just because the roads were closed. It made me think this town is f**ked if something actually bad happened.

As a side note though, in zombie books and movies like that, the dead rising doesn;t seem to be an integral part of popular culture and people don't know how to react. While if it happened now, there's a god damn zombie contigency plan for christ's sake.
I dunno. I guess it would be a pretty shitty show if it only lasted 2 eps because the army came rolling through and napalmed the lot

This is the whole point. It requires suspension of disbelief because the post-apocalyptic story is so cool.

butchmcdick

Immortal
I listed WWZ as an example above. In Yonkers they use anti tank weapons and 'demoralisation' tactics. WWZ is pretty much a what if the dead rose and our army was completely geniused scenario.

The overzealous civilians would be a good point. The panic would be just as dangerous as the zombies. I remember back in the floods in early March, groceries and fuel were all sold out in a day just because the roads were closed. It made me think this town is f**ked if something actually bad happened.

As a side note though, in zombie books and movies like that, the dead rising doesn;t seem to be an integral part of popular culture and people don't know how to react. While if it happened now, there's a god damn zombie contigency plan for christ's sake.

This is the whole point. It requires suspension of disbelief because the post-apocalyptic story is so cool.

Yeah I don't think it is meant to be a documentary of a how to guide.

urban eel

Juniors
tumblr_mc7hvjTNcn1qzpsuoo1_500.png