What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The we must sign Gasnier thread!

Alex28

Coach
I must say I totally disagree with Roops on this one. Why all the hate Roops? He is perhaps the best centre of the modern game why do you not want him here?

He is definately alot less injury prone than Mad Dog and if he is 28 and we sign him for a further 3 years we could have him potentially when he is at his peak!
Comparing him to Doogs is probably the most stupid thing I have read on this forum. And of that I have read a lot.

perverse

Referee
OK...this year and next year...my point remains most valid. We are not going to get a better opportunity at snaring a top end centre this year, simply because he is probably the best centre to come on to the market this year.

Wouldn't it be nice to snare him with all the Dragon talk/gloating going on :)
absolutely agree on all fronts. he's definitely the best centre on the market (without considering the slim chance inglis might hit the market).

B-dos

Referee
im sure roopy has his eye on a 16 yr old in the harold matthews cup who is destined to be a star

much like the 40 odd other players who have supposed to have been world beaters and done nothing

of course gasnier is a must sign to any reasonable person. we should certainly throw as much money as we can at him.

however despite the knights having little to no chance of signing him anyway, the dragons contract clause is the biggest hurdle i think.

perverse

Referee
Love to see any NRL waste their money on him - as long as its not my club!

Fed up with prima donna players!
lol... this one slipped by me.

this coming from the fan of a club that pays Terry f**king Campese $500k a year. rofl.

Kazaf

Juniors
Just watching the NRL News reported by John Gibbs.

Almost certain to sign with Dragons.
Issues with father-in-law, he wants to stay close to father-in-law and wife.
I don't think he'll come here.

Serc

First Grade
Not sure what Saints are going to pay him for this season...given they, like all teams in the comp except us and the Broncos are full when it comes to the salary cap for 2010. Of course they might be paying him in spades from 2011, but they certainly won't be able to keep their current roster + Gasnier.

Which makes it almost impossible that they will keep guys like Henry and perhaps Merrin ;-)

So perhaps there is a large amount of silver lining having missed out on Gaz!

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Comparing him to Doogs is probably the most stupid thing I have read on this forum. And of that I have read a lot.

Doogs= Our current first choice right centre
Gaz= Our first choice target to play right centre to replace Doogs

Yes very stupid to compare. There is oboviusly no connection at all:sarcasm:

doggone

Juniors
We have buckleys. St George will grab him. Beau Scott injuried. Would be nice but only a dream.:(

Bicey_18

Bench
Now seriously, the Dragons dont need him... They are dominating the comp as it is.. but hey, lets go out and strengthen our squad with more stars... While Newcastle struggle with no one..Whats the use of the Salary Cap? I mean its here to share out the talent isnt it? So why is it that the strong clubs get stronger and Newcastle get weaker and weaker? We have not got ONE top player in out side... No superstars, only a group of toilers at best. Its pathetic! We have all this money and cant sign a single decent player... says alot. The 15 other clubs have their talented players...yet here is Newcastle with zilch. Great stuff NRL..

Bicey_18

Bench
Mate Gids is a test regular so he'd be considered topline for sure........ And NSW captain too boot.

I think Gids is great, but I would not class him "topline". I honestly dont know how he gets picked in rep teams, he hasnt performed at Rep level. At club level, his good but on the bigger stages he isnt.. Its really sad when we say Kurt is our "star" player...

Gee's mate....... Guess we'll have to agree to disagree, his not of the calibre of a GI or Thurston but I'd rate him as top tier.

Alex28

Coach
Peter Doust doesn't sound as confident in this article in the Herald - acknowledging that they probably don't have the top offer, that they'd be disappointed if he goes elsewhere, salary cap pressures...

May not be as clear cut as we might think?

Rolla

Juniors
Now seriously, the Dragons dont need him... They are dominating the comp as it is.. but hey, lets go out and strengthen our squad with more stars... While Newcastle struggle with no one..Whats the use of the Salary Cap? I mean its here to share out the talent isnt it? So why is it that the strong clubs get stronger and Newcastle get weaker and weaker? We have not got ONE top player in out side... No superstars, only a group of toilers at best. Its pathetic! We have all this money and cant sign a single decent player... says alot. The 15 other clubs have their talented players...yet here is Newcastle with zilch. Great stuff NRL..

It is not the NRL's fault we cant attract players....they are nod a charity organisation... As sad is it might be if we cant attract or sign quality it is our own fault and our own problem. Our club needs to be turned into a more appealling product

Guvner

First Grade
Peter Doust doesn't sound as confident in this article in the Herald - acknowledging that they probably don't have the top offer, that they'd be disappointed if he goes elsewhere, salary cap pressures...

May not be as clear cut as we might think?

It doesnt matter what you can offer him. It matters how much you can pay us. He only gets to you if we allow it and are suitably compensated. Its almost done.

Alex28

Coach
That is if everything around his release is to be believed. You guys breached his contract remember?

God I hope we get him even only to shut your gloating mouth :)