What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The we must sign Gasnier thread!

Serc

First Grade
Fair call there, I guess so...quietly confident our management won't disappoint us this time with whatever signings they make for the rest of this year :)

timka4

Bench
Let's face it - we aren't going to be able to sign a better Centre than Gaz. It would be a dream signing.

yep if it happens thats great, but dont get too excited cause yosh most likely your heart is just going to be broken. Not trying to be full negative, but we have a track record lately of just being.. well newcastle :)

Yosh

Coach
Fair call there, I guess so...quietly confident our management won't disappoint us this time with whatever signings they make for the rest of this year :)

Big call big call!:shock:

Since I started following the Knights (2003ish) we are yet to make a good signing. I'd put Brian Carney as the best we've managed. He was good fella to have around which probably neglates his shocking defence!

Nuffy

Bench
Nice to dream...............

But no chance.

Gaz will turn down,

A genuine premiership chance,
His old club,
and being coached by Bennett to sign with us............ I think not

Plus don't forget, his wife's father has cancer, being treated at the RNS hospital, living in Sydney is a better fit for those challenges than 2hrs up the F3. That will be the clincher.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
Gasnier is a straight swap for Doogs - an old, injury prone centre who used to be great and has 3 or 4 really good games a year in him.
Pity Gasnier will want 3 or 4 times as much money.

Rolla

Juniors
Nice to dream...............

But no chance.

Gaz will turn down,

A genuine premiership chance,
His old club,
and being coached by Bennett to sign with us............ I think not

Plus don't forget, his wife's father has cancer, being treated at the RNS hospital, living in Sydney is a better fit for those challenges than 2hrs up the F3. That will be the clincher.

If St George are permitted by the NRL to pay him outside of the salary cap then yes he will go there... Otherwise they do not have room for him. If this is the case the only real clubs he could go to this year (if he really wants to play) are here and Brisbane.... the F3 is shorter than the entire pacific highway

whistler

Juniors
Gasnier is a straight swap for Doogs - an old, injury prone centre who used to be great and has 3 or 4 really good games a year in him.

You are kidding yourself. Gaz would be a huge signing. But why sign a game breaker when we've got star locals like Simon Williams waiting in the wings :roll:

Rolla

Juniors

Isn't Gaz 7 years younger than doogs? also his quality is certainly better. You are right he is injury prone, but it seems that anyone who puts on a blue and red jumper immediately falls into that category anyway so who cares.

I wouldnt mind playing him at fullback either if we signed him, drop scotty and push kurt up inside mullen.

Nuffy

Bench
If St George are permitted by the NRL to pay him outside of the salary cap then yes he will go there... Otherwise they do not have room for him. If this is the case the only real clubs he could go to this year (if he really wants to play) are here and Brisbane.... the F3 is shorter than the entire pacific highway

They have already said that they'd have to back end his contract, a little upfront and a lot in subsequent years.

He'll end up back with the Dragons.

roopy

Referee
You are kidding yourself. Gaz would be a huge signing. But why sign a game breaker when we've got star locals like Simon Williams waiting in the wings :roll:
In a star studded Saints side he still only had a few standout games a year.
He wants Joey type money, and his career will be very similar to Doogs when you weigh it all up.
You guys are wanting to piss salary cap money up against a wall - and if we do sign him, in a year you will all be wanting to know which idiot thought that was a good idea.

Raiderman

Juniors
Love to see any NRL waste their money on him - as long as its not my club!

Fed up with prima donna players!

Rolla

Juniors
They have already said that they'd have to back end his contract, a little upfront and a lot in subsequent years.

O ok fair enough...

Even if he did come here it would only be to play out this year, he wouldnt sign annything longer than that in newcastle.

perverse

Referee
He wants Joey type money, and his career will be very similar to Doogs when you weigh it all up.
You guys are wanting to piss salary cap money up against a wall - and if we do sign him, in a year you will all be wanting to know which idiot thought that was a good idea.
let's just say that i rate gaz a lot higher than you clearly do, and we'll leave it at that.

fact is, most/all marquees are overpaid... but we genuinely need one for any number of reasons.

Alex28

Coach

F*** me Roopy...we badly need a top class centre, and we potentially have one and all you can do is bitch and whinge about how much of a waste of money he will be.

Come up with an alternative. In respect to players from other clubs coming here all you do is put them down and complain. So come up with an alternative where we could have a potential Kangaroo/Origin Centre in our line up next year.

Put up or shut up mate.

perverse

Referee
F*** me Roopy...we badly need a top class centre, and we potentially have one and all you can do is bitch and whinge about how much of a waste of money he will be.

Come up with an alternative. In respect to players from other clubs coming here all you do is put them down and complain. So come up with an alternative where we could have a potential Kangaroo/Origin Centre in our line up next year.

Put up or shut up mate.
according to reports, gaz is already back in the country (the french top 14 comp ended for Stade Francais a few weeks ago)... so next year could easily be this year if we have the nous and cunning to make the deal.

gaz is being strongly linked to the dragons atm and i've heard mail that the tigers (of all teams? wtf?) are in the race, too.

Guvner

First Grade

correct. Very much looks like he is coming home.

Yosh

Coach
I must say I totally disagree with Roops on this one. Why all the hate Roops? He is perhaps the best centre of the modern game why do you not want him here?

He is definately alot less injury prone than Mad Dog and if he is 28 and we sign him for a further 3 years we could have him potentially when he is at his peak!

Alex28

Coach
OK...this year and next year...my point remains most valid. We are not going to get a better opportunity at snaring a top end centre this year, simply because he is probably the best centre to come on to the market this year.

Wouldn't it be nice to snare him with all the Dragon talk/gloating going on :)