What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The we must sign Gasnier thread!

Yosh

Coach
I think the equation was supposed to be:

Gaz + decent halfback + good prop - Dureau - Dodge= Pretty good squad.

Weels

Juniors
Why would GAZ sign with a team that has won 3 out of 9?
Why would GAZ sign with a coach that nobody knows, and is having his 1st full season in the NRL?
Just doesn't make sense, does it?

perverse

Referee
Why would GAZ sign with a team that has won 3 out of 9?
Why would GAZ sign with a coach that nobody knows, and is having his 1st full season in the NRL?
Just doesn't make sense, does it?
i can give you at least a million reasons, and all of them are prefixed with a $.

Serc

First Grade
Yep, if he wants to play in 2010, we are easily one of the best options out there.

Yosh

Coach
Dear Gasnier,

If you join the Knights we will let you play centre inside Uate. He'll make you look like the best centre in the world.

The End.

Regards,
Knights Management

He'll sign on the dotted line the next morning garenteed!

Alex28

Coach
Article in the Telegraph today as well suggesting we are going all out for him too...finally the media is beginning to swing our way a little :)

We cannot let him leave with any other option than to sign for us.

1.We give him any leave he needs for his wife's personal issues with her reportedly ill father.
2. His market value plus a bit extra. Tinkler hopefully will give Gaz leads to negotiate a 3rd party agreement. Gaz negotiates it we don't include it in the cap I am told. If we do it counts.
3. Impress upon him that Newcastle fans will idolise him, regardless of his form, unlike the Dragons supporters who bag him deluxe when he plays one bad game.
4. Aku and he WILL form the most lethal right sided combo in recent history.
5. We CAN win a premiership if he joins us. He is the X factor.
6. He signs others will follow. Beau Henry plus Tolman and i will happily be content waiting for 2011.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
KNIGHTS WANT GASNIER
THE way we've read it so far is Mark Gasnier is over the line at the Dragons - but I hear Gansier or his manager will be in Newcastle this week to to heard about the huge dollars the Knights want to toss his way. They want to make him an offer he can't refuse - and from what I hear they won't be the only club who jumps in big for his services. Gasnier has to give the Dragons first option on his services, but in this time of salary cap suspicion no one is going to buy the idea of him signing on for $50,000.
http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/fourway-tug-of-war-for-inglis-20100515-v5er.html

timka4

Bench
agreed, one of the biggest advantages asides from his skill, will be the ability for other players to see a big name player go there, more chance they would follow

Bang

Juniors
I would not be getting my hopes up if I was you. Gasnier will not be playing for the Knights.

NRL Premiership

Newcastle trying to tempt Mark Gasnier with offer in excess of $200 000

Br Barry Toohey
May 16, 2010
His first priority may be a return to St George Illawarra but Newcastle Knights are poised to muddy the waters for rugby league's prodigal son Mark Gasnier.
Since news broke of Gasnier's imminent return to the code, it has been assumed he would rejoin the Dragons. That may still be the case.

But the Knights are set to weigh in with an offer this week that might at least make things interesting.

Knights boss Steve Burraston confirmed yesterday the club will be "going all out" to lure Gasnier on a two- or three-year deal as negotiations with St George Illawarra drag on.

Unlike the Dragons, who can only offer a second-tier $50,000 deal plus match payments for the rest of this season, Newcastle have considerable room to move under the salary cap.

It is understood the Knights will tempt the former Kangaroos centre with an offer in excess of $200,000 for the rest of this season because of their strong salary cap position following the loss of forwards Chris Houston and Danny Wicks amid drug allegations.

With as many as eight top-grade players off contract at the end of the season, the club has the financial clout to more than match anything the Dragons come up with over the next two or three seasons.

It is believed they could have as much as $800,000 freed up for 2011 depending on who they re-sign.

"I've already had a couple of conversations with his manager (George Mimis) and we'll be tabling an offer to him by the middle of next week," Burraston said.

"We are very serious. Mark is the sort of marquee signing we want and I'd like to think he would see Newcastle as a great place to re-establish himself."

"I haven't spoken directly to Mark and you never really know with these sorts of things but, from what his manager has said, Mark is interested."

Burraston said he is aware of the clause in the early release Gasnier signed with the Dragons preventing him playing with another NRL club before 2012.

"That will obviously be a factor in any negotiations with Mark," he said.

"But the Dragons have to be in a financial position to make him a realistic offer to return and at the moment, I'm not sure whether their current offer is acceptable to him."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27129326-5018866,00.html

League_God

Juniors
oh my god please!!
i would jizz in my pants if we got gazz, this is definitely the most exciting article in recent times...we look like we are genuinely wanting him

Alex28

Coach
I would not be getting my hopes up if I was you. Gasnier will not be playing for the Knights.

I hope we do get him just to shut the mouths of the smug Dragons supporters.

Then I hope we beat them in a Grand Final with him. :)