What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The we must sign Gasnier thread!

Guvner

First Grade
That is if everything around his release is to be believed. You guys breached his contract remember?

God I hope we get him even only to shut your gloating mouth :)

No WE didnt. WE paid him every cent WE owed him. Seriously why comment on something you clearly know nothing about. The clause is there. Doust has confirmed that today. Not to mention it was confirmed by the man himself before he left. Nobody is gloating, of course we would be happy for him to come back. He is one of ours. And he should never have had to leave in the first place.

Rudderriffic

Juniors
Not that much value in signing Gasnier. Quality player no doubt, but on the down side he is fast approaching thirty (twenty-nine in July) and will assuredly demand a sizeable contract to come here. Paying overs for an ageing centre whose game is based around pace and agility when our team is crying out for a half is probably not very prudent. Beyond that, we need a prop as well. Good genuine halfbacks are as rare as hens teeth, and props able to produce consitent quality without too many injuries are pretty sparse too. We have a centre in Toyota Cup everyone likes talking up, we have outside backs playing NSW Cup that could step up (thinking Williams, Kev N.), and while it is pretty likely none of these players will ever be a Mark Gasnier, they could certainly play at NRL level (not world betters, just not costing us games) next season. The same could not be said about any halfbacks in our current system.

If people are content for next seasons highlights to consist of Dureau putting in chip kicks for Gasnier only to see them sail well into row G, then more power to them. I would prefer to see us sign a halfback first.

Gasnier will more than likley sign with the Dragons. He has a massive chance to win a premiership and I think he will sign for the remainder of the year and then see what is on offer after that.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
If people are content for next seasons highlights to consist of Dureau putting in chip kicks for Gasnier only to see them sail well into row G, then more power to them. I would prefer to see us sign a halfback first.

iloled-pam.jpg

macavity

Referee
oh, and my understanding of "the clause" is it is a last right of refusal - in other words, the Dragons have the right to make a final offer - rather than any sort of compensation deal.

It is a moot point if he is going to sign there anyway.

Bicey_18

Bench
Apparently he is going to sign for the Dragons for 50,000 this season under their 2nd tier cap. What a joke

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
He'll get 50k plus 4k per match. The 4k per matcg does not count against the salary cap this year, but must be factored in next year.

Saints have a lot of players coming off contract. None of them are on big $$, but its not impossible to think that it could be done. Costigan, Saffy & Priddis would be the highest priced players coming out of deals & Saffy & Priddis are already confirmed as leaving. Saints don't have the 1,7 & 9 of Melbourne $$$ wise and are stacked predominantly with good, rather than great players across their squad.

Dragons are in consulatation with Schubert and the NRL in regards to getting the deal ratified. Do you eally think that now is the time to be doing dodgy deals?

He's going to the Dragons if it can be worked, plain and simple. No ned to get upset about just because he's not going to the Knights (at this stage).

Johns Magic

Referee
Look if he goes to the Dragons, all power to him. If it was one of our favourite sons coming home from overseas I'm sure we'd all hope he'd be keen to play for us again.

But if Gasnier signs for an NRL club that isn't the Dragons, I'd like to think we'll be doing our best to grab him.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Look if he goes to the Dragons, all power to him. If it was one of our favourite sons coming home from overseas I'm sure we'd all hope he'd be keen to play for us again.

But if Gasnier signs for an NRL club that isn't the Dragons, I'd like to think we'll be doing our best to grab him.

I'd like to see him go to Newcastle if he doesn't come home. I got no attachment to your club, but seeing your crowds dropping off and your club seemingly going backwards after some good work in recent years is not good for the game. You need some good players.

perverse

Referee

yeah, well summed up i think. i'd love to have him here... but if we're to miss out then at least it's going to be for good reasons, the homecoming of a local hero.

Alex28

Coach
Finally we are talking the talk!

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...nights-switch-to-gaz/1829766.aspx?storypage=0

Knights switch to Gaz
BY ROBERT DILLON
14 May, 2010 04:00 AM
THE Newcastle Knights are resigned to missing out on Melbourne playmaker Brett Finch but intend to make a serious play for Mark Gasnier if the former Test centre cannot strike a deal with St George Illawarra.
Off contract and likely to be a victim of Melbourne’s salary-cap squeeze, Finch has attracted an offer from an English Super League club and there is speculation he will leave the NRL at season’s end, if not before.

That news is not an unexpected setback for the Knights, who expressed interest in the former Valentine-Eleebana junior recently but decided he was outside their budget.

‘‘We spoke to Finchy’s manager [Steve Gillis] but I think his asking price was too high,’’ Knights coach Rick Stone said yesterday.

‘‘He’s probably played for unders for the past couple of years, because of his own individual circumstances, but I think he was asking for a fairly decent pay rise and we didn’t think that was appropriate in the open market in the NRL at this particular time . . . obviously he’s looking to maximise his earnings, whether that’s in the NRL or in England or in rugby, who knows.

‘‘But when you’re in a salary cap age, you’ve got to put a reasonable sort of price on a player’s head and stick to that as close as possible if you think you’re going to get value for money.’’

Newcastle told Gillis they would be willing to resume negotiations if Finch could not find a taker and would consider dropping his asking price.

The Knights consider Gasnier the type of marquee player they are desperate to add to their roster.

Stone said Newcastle strategic development manager Keith Onslow had ‘‘made some inquiries’’.

Early indications are the 28-year-old, who has spent two years in France playing rugby union for Stade Francais, wants to rejoin the Dragons, for whom he played 141 NRL games between 2000 and 2008.

But the joint-venture club may not be able to squeeze him into the salary cap.

Newcastle have money to spend this year, after the well-documented departures of Danny Wicks and Chris Houston, and would consider freeing up funds for next year and beyond to pay Gasnier the type of elite-player salary he would command.

Asked whether Gasnier was an unrealistic target, Stone replied: ‘‘I don’t know about unrealistic.

‘‘He is the type of marquee player we’re talking about.

‘‘We’ve made some inquiries and we’ll be monitoring the situation closely.

‘‘If it gets to the stage that his manager is looking at the possibility of other options in rugby league, we’re going to be interested, for sure.

‘‘We haven’t made any contact yet but I think in the next couple of days there might be some contact made, depending on what he thinks he’s doing and whether his manager thinks he’s a realistic hope of coming back to rugby league.

‘‘If he is and particularly if he’s interested in jumping into the season right now, well we’d be one of the few clubs that would have a little bit [of money] right now, I’d suggest.’’

Gasnier + decent prop + decent centre + decent half and I am happy ecstactic in fact.

Shame about Finch for mine but if his asking above $250k definately not interested.