What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The we must sign Gasnier thread!

Media reports claim Mark Gasnier is set to return to NRL with the Dragons

By Phil Rothfield
May 11, 2010 Former St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier is poised to make a return to the NRL this season, according to media reports in Sydney.
The Daily Telegraph has reported Gasnier has cut short a holiday in France, where he has been playing rugby for Stade Francais, to rush back to Australia with his wife Claudine.
Claudine's father was diagnosed with cancer late last week. The pair spent much of Monday at Royal North Shore Hospital.
Despite not quoting the former Test centre, The Telegraph has reported Gasnier is keen to return to his former club St George Illawarra or a rival NRL club before the June 30 deadline for signing players this season.

Gasnier will only join another club if the Dragons are prepared to relax a clause in his 2008 release that he can't play for another NRL club before 2012.
Dragons boss Peter Doust has met with NRL boss David Gallop and salary cap auditor Ian Schubert to investigate ways of squeezing him into this year's cap and back-ending the deal.
A Dragons source said: "We've worked out it (a deal with Gasnier) can be done if his price is right".

Gasnier's manager George Mimis did not give much away when asked what his client's next move would be.

"Mark and his wife are seriously considering not just the next football contract but the next part of their lives," Mimis said.

"Whatever decision they come to will be a significant one. They are taking their time with it because they have other things on their minds."

Mimis refused to rule out the possibility of Gasnier playing for Melbourne Rebels in the Super 15.

Gallop said Gasnier would be a huge boost for rugby league given the current controversy over low player wages.

"Geez, that would be terrific," he said. "I hope it happens."

The fillip that a Gasnier comeback would give rugby league was not lost on NRL marketing boss Paul Kind.

"Mark was a prominent part of our 2008 marketing for the centenary year because we understood what a great asset he was," Kind said.

"It would be a great bonus for rugby league to get a player of his talent and profile back.

"Just having that name Gasnier on a rugby league jersey again would be really, really special for the fans."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27106291-5018866,00.html

If this is in any way true and his after a contract right away, we need to table a $350k 3 year deal ASAP.

His worth probably 2,000 extra bums on seats every week, tonnes of coverage in the media which is only good for attracting sponsors.

And if we can sign him and have another $700k or so we can easily jag 2-3 more decent players.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Heard on the radio this morning that we have been linked to him but it would require us to pay compo to the Dragons for them to relax their "cant play for another NRL club for the next X years" clause.

A very looooooooong shot I think

Yosh

Coach
ZOMG!!

Nearly jizzed my pants in the morning Mark 'Hot Sauce' Gasnier style.

Sure we are a long shot but please management please throw Wick+Houston's money at him plus whatever else we can throw at him. Take my pocket money to. BVM quick empty your pockets to!

Chief

Juniors
F**k where the f**k are ya? There's four toey humans in a cab. Twenty to four outside f**k (inaudible) f**king ready to spurt sauce. And you're in bed. F**k me, fire up you sad c***."

I don't care how good a player Gasnier is. He is a disgraceful human being and has no place at the Knights.

Last edited:
Quite happy to through a fortnights worth of O/T towards it if we can get him!

EDIT: Settle down Chief, his not the first person to make a drunken phone call to a chick and make an arse off himself, deadset he didnt assault her or anything.

Last edited:

voltron

Juniors
i would want the contract to be airtight though
i wouldnt want him to skip out and go to rugby again
people saying he just wants to play nrl to keep match fit and go to the other code again
or heavily backload it, so its not worth his while to leave

perverse

Referee
i would want the contract to be airtight though
i wouldnt want him to skip out and go to rugby again
people saying he just wants to play nrl to keep match fit and go to the other code again
or heavily backload it, so its not worth his while to leave
or front load it with the money we have free this year so he's cheap in the long run. :p

perverse

Referee
but then he'll leave mid way after he's received the bulk of his money
cuz he has track record of leaving cuz not enough money
the reason he left is that he wasn't receiving money that he thought he was assured, guarenteed, promised. the dragons seem to have done a shifty by promising him a 3rd party agreement and not delivering. additionally, he had an out-clause in his contract and took it.

we can avoid both of these things by being honest with our offer and not giving him a similar clause.

Lets make this clear he left because he was promised a 3rd party deal of $150k per year, NRL had given the Dragons the nod this was okay, NRL went back on their word to the Dragons and declared it illegal and Gaz's $500k deal became a $350k effectively cutting his deal by 30%.

Dragons and Gasnier then agreed to mutual release.

So saying Gas left for the $ is laughable.

voltron

Juniors
the whole point of third party agreements if that you have to organise them yourself
and then get them by doing what has been agreed
thats why the storm got into trouble because they underwrote the third party agreements, guaranteeing them which is the same as a salary

gasnier couldnt pull through with his own third party deals
so he didnt get them
so he whinged and left

*edit
ok maybe i just assumed cr@p
lol
my bad

Serc

First Grade
:lol: some classic posts in here

Would love the Gaz...and again in theory we have the cap space this year (if he is looking before June 30) to snap him up. But paying the extra $$$ as he was originally signed up to Saints until 2012 might not be quite for us of course...

Though whoever said we should get on the phone to Tinkler for the extra cash has the right idea! haha

Yosh

Coach
Who cares about third party agreements, why he left, Pervese's self-circumcision!

I am glad the media is linking Gaz with us. Least we knew early he was available and even if we don't sign him least we tried. If we do jeez... I'll jizz so hard it'll flow all the way to Energy Australia Stadium!

Serc

First Grade
I think its time to settle down Yoshy, I know its your birthday and all but still...

sd_horn.jpg

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
:lol: some classic posts in here

Would love the Gaz...and again in theory we have the cap space this year (if he is looking before June 30) to snap him up. But paying the extra $$$ as he was originally signed up to Saints until 2012 might not be quite for us of course...

Though whoever said we should get on the phone to Tinkler for the extra cash has the right idea! haha
gaz would make up for any upfront payment to the dragons with gate takings alone over his contract period i reckon.

Alex28

Coach
Let's face it - we aren't going to be able to sign a better Centre than Gaz. It would be a dream signing.