What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The words you just don't get thread?

Scorpio30

Bench
Got words you just dont get..or hate?
Or even sayings?

First up, 'fit.'

It sh*ts me to tears when people (particulary Poms) are like oh that girl is 'fit.'
Like wtf is that?

I think thats a good use of that word....simply saying she is...well...fit....not fat.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pooh, as in Winnie the Pooh.

Wtf? I've never heard anything else except for turds, having such a title.

And they call him Pooh bear for short. All bears Poo!

What exactly are the referring to here? Is Pooh a term with a different meaning to poo (sh*t, smelly etc) and if so, what is the meaning and why do we not bother with it anymore.

Nuke

Staff member
My grandmother has always hated the name 'Winnie The Pooh' as she reckons it sounds disgusting. Instead, she calls him 'Winnie The nice person'.

True story.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
My grandmother has always hated the name 'Winnie The Pooh' as she reckons it sounds disgusting. Instead, she calls him 'Winnie The nice person'.

True story.
makes sense, he always had his tongue in a honey pot.

hrundi99

First Grade
Milne named the character Winnie-the-Pooh after a teddy bear owned by his son, Christopher Robin Milne, who was the basis for the character Christopher Robin. His toys also lent their names to most of the other characters, except for Owl and Rabbit, as well as the Gopher character, who was added in the Disney version. Christopher Robin's toy bear is now on display at the Main Branch of the New York Public Library in New York.[2]

Christopher Milne had named his toy bear after Winnie, a Canadian black bear which he often saw at London Zoo, and "Pooh", a swan they had met while on holiday. The bear cub was purchased from a hunter for $20 by Canadian Lieutenant Harry Colebourn in White River, Ontario, Canada, while en route to England during the First World War. He named the bear "Winnie" after his hometown in Winnipeg, Manitoba. "Winnie" was surreptitiously brought to England with her owner, and gained unofficial recognition as The Fort Garry Horse regimental mascot. Colebourne left Winnie at the London Zoo while he and his unit were in France; after the war she was officially donated to the zoo, as she had become a much loved attraction there.[3] Pooh the swan appears as a character in its own right in When We Were Very Young.
In the first chapter of Winnie-the-Pooh, Milne offers this explanation of why Winnie-the-Pooh is often called simply "Pooh":

"But his arms were so stiff ... they stayed up straight in the air for more than a week, and whenever a fly came and settled on his nose he had to blow it off. And I think — but I am not sure — that that is why he is always called Pooh."

From wikipedia...

perverse

Referee
not really a word as much as an idiom or phrase, but over/improper use of "tbh" makes my left eye twitch big time. makes people come across like they have down syndrome, no imagination or creativity, and there seems to be some sort of faux/pseudo witty implication that unless tbh was postfixed to the end of every sentence then they would, in fact, be lying. it's one of the main things that keeps me away from the FFB 90% of the time... true story, tbh.

morri (cWo)

First Grade
not really a word as much as an idiom or phrase, but over/improper use of "tbh" makes my left eye twitch big time. makes people come across like they have down syndrome, no imagination or creativity, and there seems to be some sort of faux/pseudo witty implication that unless tbh was postfixed to the end of every sentence then they would, in fact, be lying. it's one of the main things that keeps me away from the FFB 90% of the time... true story, tbh.

i know what you mean tbh

Johns Magic

Referee

Do you mean when people write "tbh"?

Or when people actually say "to be honest" in real life?

perverse

Referee
Do you mean when people write "tbh"?

Or when people actually say "to be honest" in real life?
i more mean the acronym online, but if someone was a dead set chronic offender in real life it would probably grate on me too. not sure i've ever come across someone that overuses it in the spoken word, though.

Johns Magic

Referee
i more mean the acronym online, but if someone was a dead set chronic offender in real life it would probably grate on me too. not sure i've ever come across someone that overuses it in the spoken word, though.

Haha, I am a serial offender of saying it. And it's totally a subconscious thing.

I think I've successfully toned it down in recent months though, since the gf started making a point of pointing it out to me whenever I say it.

Latest posts