What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Worst Team in the Competition

I still think the #7 is outstanding for us to find any sort of groove in 2013.

I have to say I hope Dugan lives up to peoples expectations, but im not expecting any miracles from the kid whatsoever, the odd line break will be great, but the halves set up our backline for failure imo, there is no speed or shape in our attacking play.

One of the great things that Dugan brings is an X factor. I remember thinking on Anzac Day when the Roosters really started dishing it up, that there was not one player in the team that could spark a comeback through a piece of individual brilliance. At a stretch I could imagine Morris breaking the line from dummy half and running up field but that was it.

Players like Boyd, Gasnier, Blacklock, Roberts, Ainscough, Mundine etc. had the athleticism to spark some brilliance in those types of situations. At last we have a player who can turn something into nothing again! Well actually we have two now with the addition of Widdop next year.

dragonv

Juniors
Now with Dugan here we are a realistic chance of making the 8 if we don't cop anymore injuries.

Can't argue with that. I'm not too confident of breaking the titans defense without Morris. hes been the only one threatening at the back and even hes had a quiet year. A loss will be costly but any win we can manage without him will be huge. With Morris and Dugan + Nightingale will be killing it though.

It's a shame we are so focussed on 2014 this early in 2013.

Nah, I actually think it takes alot of pressure off for the remainder of this year. A bit like players always say when they have their contract renewed and there is certainty.

Price doesn't have to work miracles this year, but he does have to do alot of the groundwork for next year - and a really positive part of that would be to get at least one finals game this year for the club.

It would send such a strong message to new recruits - and put rest of NRL teams on notice that we will be real contenders in 2014/15.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Do you guys think Dugan will make a big difference in attack than if we had Boyd at FB? Do you see them as very similar typle players? Both great but hard to tell which one is better.

Dugan now of course because he wears the red V....

jenninga

First Grade
One of the great things that Dugan brings is an X factor. I remember thinking on Anzac Day when the Roosters really started dishing it up, that there was not one player in the team that could spark a comeback through a piece of individual brilliance. At a stretch I could imagine Morris breaking the line from dummy half and running up field but that was it.

Players like Boyd, Gasnier, Blacklock, Roberts, Ainscough, Mundine etc. had the athleticism to spark some brilliance in those types of situations. At last we have a player who can turn something into nothing again! Well actually we have two now with the addition of Widdop next year.
This

Do you guys think Dugan will make a big difference in attack than if we had Boyd at FB? Do you see them as very similar typle players? Both great but hard to tell which one is better.

Dugan now of course because he wears the red V....

Dugan is definitely more naturally gifted but is yet to achieve all that Darius has in the game. He has a better step, a better pass, more robust, and better ball skills. Boyd is a fine player; safe under the high ball, a good last line in defence, and can throw a decent premeditated cut out pass in a set play. However, Dugan can break a game wide open on his own. He breaks the line more than Boyd and has great vision when applying a long and short passing game.

Old_Timer

Juniors
Good contrast Saint George, which I agree with. Let us hope Dugan finds his mojo with us quickly. Add Flo and Brett into the mix and perhaps 2013 may be salvageable,

TheRev

Coach
A lot of pressure on him for the first few rounds, he should only get better and his motivation should be very strong for this year atleast, id still like to understand more about how this 5mth contract works.

karuah6

Juniors
Good contrast Saint George, which I agree with. Let us hope Dugan finds his mojo with us quickly. Add Flo and Brett into the mix and perhaps 2013 may be salvageable,

Sorry had a quick look following signing of Dugan & still noticed o t posting strange feelings. So you now say that following this signing, we can salvage 2013 even if you & a few other say that Price can't coach.
You can't have it both ways old fella (or are you) by saying one player coming into the original team will be sufficient even though we haven't got a coach.
Just goes to show that the team needs major player signings properly not a different coach if we are to perform to your satisfaction.
Could not help myself other than to reply to the above. Ha ha ha ha ha

Old_Timer

Juniors
Welcome back Karuah. No I am just as contrite as ever. And whilst I am delighted with Dugan's signing, our other issue still remains.

TheRev

Coach
Sorry had a quick look following signing of Dugan & still noticed o t posting strange feelings. So you now say that following this signing, we can salvage 2013 even if you & a few other say that Price can't coach.
You can't have it both ways old fella (or are you) by saying one player coming into the original team will be sufficient even though we haven't got a coach.
Just goes to show that the team needs major player signings properly not a different coach if we are to perform to your satisfaction.
Could not help myself other than to reply to the above. Ha ha ha ha ha

Mate, mid-season recruitment of around 1 to 1.2million dollars worth of players, specifically into #1 & #7 absolutely gives us a chance to make the 8 and do a little damage if coach can do something with them, we wont win a gf, but the sooner we can sign a #7 the sooner we can start getting our attacking structure developing.

Price still has it all to prove though (nothing has changed), I think you are confusing 2 issues, the most pressure on him will be 2014, he has had excuses so far, but he has to deliver with the roster he will get, he has to be mould the talent into a cohesive unit.

karuah6

Juniors
Mate, mid-season recruitment of around 1 to 1.2million dollars worth of players, specifically into #1 & #7 absolutely gives us a chance to make the 8 and do a little damage if coach can do something with them, we wont win a gf, but the sooner we can sign a #7 the sooner we can start getting our attacking structure developing.

Price still has it all to prove though (nothing has changed), I think you are confusing 2 issues, the most pressure on him will be 2014, he has had excuses so far, but he has to deliver with the roster he will get, he has to be mould the talent into a cohesive unit.

That is exactly why a lot of people on this forum has & still is saying, give Price a go.
Pal it it not only the negative posts on the coach that concerns me, but it is the continual attack on the player & Board that I don't like by certain people that like writing rubbish.
We have been informed on this forum recently that there is numerous deep rooted problems within the club, yet the people who write this crap are not prepared to tell us what they are.
I don't know if you are aware that (I will only mention one name) Brian Johnston, who is a great bloke, was a great centre for the club is on the Board & well credential to make decision to assist keep this club as great as it is. Why don't people say the things that are sometimes said on this forum to these Board members or have they no guts. Same could be said for the players. Ask them.
I am not only having a go at one person but will strongly defend this club until someone can prove (confirm) that the rumours of bad deep rooted problems do in fact exist.
The pressure is always on the coach, but it is also on other people for them to perform & at this stage I don't think that they are doing a bad job.
Lets all get behind the club, sure post what you see, but don't continually go down the same negative path every time.
This is my feeling & I intend to stick with it.

Yep, well put.

But I think Steve Price understands this well. I'm starting to think as much as Steve Price nutures / develops / brings players along (call it what you like) e.g. Drinkwater, Quinlan etc, to their creidt, so is the Board of their development of Steve Price.

TheRev

Coach
I'm starting to think as much as Steve Price nutures / develops / brings players along (call it what you like) e.g. Drinkwater, Quinlan etc, to their creidt, so is the Board of their development of Steve Price.

Interesting idea, certainly I kind of assume that a coach comes straight into 1st grade having learnt in lower grades, and hes either got it or he doesnt.. but I guess 1st grade has its own learnings to make... but he doesnt have long to work things out, he has to take advantage of the momentum these signings will bring us next year, the club needs momentum again.

dragonv

Juniors
Ot you are the one that stated there is numerous problems at our club yet is not prepared to elaborate. As one great dec'd sports journalist used to say " that'll do me"

Why don't you freaking just watch the game and let reality do the elaboration for you.