What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Worst Team in the Competition

big pat

Coach
Rolled over have we Big Pat. :D

Price and chance? Juxtapositions no doubt!!

Happy to be a passenger on the train provided it is being pulled by the 3801, me all time favourite loco.

the old 3801, i believe is in the repair shop, hopefully like the dragons season, it gets back on the rails.

Old_Timer

Juniors
Sounds good to me Big Pat. I wonder if it still holds the record for the Newcastle to Sydney trip. It could do 100mph pulling the Newcastle flyer. I think there are only two 38 class locos left.

giboz71

First Grade
I don't mind losses, but we are just such a frustrating team to watch and have been for the past 2 years. The Manly game was a classic example.

57% possession, 1489 metres against 1084, 257 tackles to 354. How on earth did we lose that game?

It shows aspects of our team are actually quite good. We control possession well, we build pressure and put ourselves consistently in position to score points. But we just seem to bumble around in attack which is so disappointing.

To what extent this is Price, or the limitations in the roster, I'm still not sure?

Next year, we are bound to find out.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Her we go again. Crap roster excuse. BMoz, Nighty, Cooper, Soward, Prior, Creagh,Merrin,Weyman, Fein, Hunt, etc. Sounds like a bad roster to me.

Maybe Saints should have let all these guys go and tried to snap up the better players like Jorge Tafua, Tupou, Sheck, Moa, the aging Minichello (cause once you hit 30 your useless aparantly hence why Cooper is copping it), Cordner, Aubusson, Horo, Lawrence, Kennedy,O'Donnell, Mortimer, Symonds, Rose, Guerra, Nuassala, Buhrer, Hasson, Kite, King.

If Saints had those guys instead of what we have they would be killing it especially under the guidance of Price. What are you doing Dousty keeping all the crap players for poor Pricey to work with. Doust is doing it on purporse to make Price look bad. Oust Doust.

Cagey Mac

Bench
the old 3801, i believe is in the repair shop, hopefully like the dragons season, it gets back on the rails.

I rode on the 3801 to a party sponsored by Peter Gasnier's (Puff's son and a very nice bloke) company to the Blue Mountains once with beer tasting on the way up and a Christmas Party golf day where I partnered Peter to 2nd place in an ambrose which means he must have been hitting the ball well because I don't. In any case I took the beer tasting seriously and can't remember. Yes Pat, my favourite ride as well.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Her we go again. Crap roster excuse. BMoz, Nighty, Cooper, Soward, Prior, Creagh,Merrin,Weyman, Fein, Hunt, etc. Sounds like a bad roster to me.

Maybe Saints should have let all these guys go and tried to snap up the better players like Jorge Tafua, Tupou, Sheck, Moa, the aging Minichello (cause once you hit 30 your useless aparantly hence why Cooper is copping it), Cordner, Aubusson, Horo, Lawrence, Kennedy,O'Donnell, Mortimer, Symonds, Rose, Guerra, Nuassala, Buhrer, Hasson, Kite, King.

If Saints had those guys instead of what we have they would be killing it especially under the guidance of Price. What are you doing Dousty keeping all the crap players for poor Pricey to work with. Doust is doing it on purporse to make Price look bad. Oust Doust.

The point of your rant went over my head old mate. Doust resigned Price..yes...is this good or bad IYO.

IMO the jury's out on Price and I'd like to have a look at his contract which IMO will have KPI's all over it; I reckon that there's more than a bit of Frank Facer in Peter Doust. It's a much tougher comp nowadays though and all things ain't equal.

My 2 cents worth:
Wouldn't it be boring to follow a team that had no issues and just won all the time?
Part of the enjoyment of following such a great club like the Dragons, is that you are there for all the highs and all the good times, and are also willing to take the tough times (like now) in your stride, knowing that our great club will always rise to the top once again.
It's what has kept me as an ardent supporter for 40+ years.

This is sooooo true !

It is why I don't need social media or reality TV:lol:

64 Dragon

Coach
I rode on the 3801 to a party sponsored by Peter Gasnier's (Puff's son and a very nice bloke) company to the Blue Mountains once with beer tasting on the way up and a Christmas Party golf day where I partnered Peter to 2nd place in an ambrose which means he must have been hitting the ball well because I don't. In any case I took the beer tasting seriously and can't remember. Yes Pat, my favourite ride as well.

Namedropper. :)

saint.nick

Coach
The idea that our roster is crap may be exaggerated by some, but I think I have a simple answer as to why it seems 'crap'. WE HAVE NO HALVES. The key players that organise the team's attack! Additionally, until we got Dugan, we did not have a fullback that made a difference! We have great wingers, okay centres, a few good forwards, and two great hookers, but we were still missing 2 great halves and a fullback to string it all together. Jamie Soward, apart from his kicking game, is usually unable to offer anything else, as he doesn't even get close enough to the line to exploit ball playing skills., let alone take the line on. The only thing we've seen is a great cut-out pass, like to green against manly. Only some great coaching from Wayne Bennett could paper over these cracks. We all know that a) Fien is no half, and b) he's getting old. Not his fault.

Luckily, we've bought an outstanding full back in Dugan, and a great five eighth from Melbourne in Widdop. We've also added firepower in the form of Thompson to the forwards. Look at the tigers in 2010-11. The rest of the team was quite average, but their attack still clicked on the back of outstanding form from Marshall, as well as Farah. Benji was off form last year, so it's no surprise they missed the finals. Generally, no halves= no creativity= no attack. Unfortunately, Soward is just too reluctant to get his hands dirty and dig for that creativity by venturing closer to the opposition's defensive line. I highly respect him, and I am eternally grateful for his contribution to 2010, but for sustained success, you can't be stuck in the past.

Last edited:
The best thing about our improving roster is the astuteness of the signings. Widdop is arguably the best "young" half in the game along with Cherry-Evans and Foran. He is a real natural footballer that will take the batten from the JT's and Cronks of the game.

Dugan is another player that will probably play a stack of games for NSW over the next 6-8 years. The best players in the world today are fullbacks; Slater, Inglis, Stewart, Barba, Bowen etc.

Over the last few years the emphasis on brilliant centres has deteriorated somewhat. The spine is now where most clubs spends their big $$$ so kudos to Doust for using cap money on a really good half and a really good fullback. Granted, it makes sense that we sign a really good young prospect relatively cheap in Dylan Farrell, rather than go throwing "Jennings" type money at an established centre. Every year Rugby League produces bigger, faster and stronger athletes and Farrell ticks all of these boxes.

Oh and yes; we needed mongrel and we signed Thompson!

So I see only good things happening at the moment with our recruitment. All we need now is Rangi Chase and it will complete the puzzle IMO. I also think it made sense to re-sign Price and give him a crack with a really good roster. If he fails, we will still have the nucleus of our improved rosters for the next coach to come along and mentor.

The best thing about our improving roster is the astuteness of the signings. Widdop is arguably the best "young" half in the game along with Cherry-Evans and Foran. He is a real natural footballer that will take the batten from the JT's and Cronks of the game.

Dugan is another player that will probably play a stack of games for NSW over the next 6-8 years. The best players in the world today are fullbacks; Slater, Inglis, Stewart, Barba, Bowen etc.

Over the last few years the emphasis on brilliant centres has deteriorated somewhat. The spine is now where most clubs spends their big $$$ so kudos to Doust for using cap money on a really good half and a really good fullback. Granted, it makes sense that we sign a really good young prospect relatively cheap in Dylan Farrell, rather than go throwing "Jennings" type money at an established centre. Every year Rugby League produces bigger, faster and stronger athletes and Farrell ticks all of these boxes.

Oh and yes; we needed mongrel and we signed Thompson!

So I see only good things happening at the moment with our recruitment. All we need now is Rangi Chase and it will complete the puzzle IMO. I also think it made sense to re-sign Price and give him a crack with a really good roster. If he fails, we will still have the nucleus of our improved rosters for the next coach to come along and mentor.

Great Post

Minh

First Grade
Now with Dugan here we are a realistic chance of making the 8 if we don't cop anymore injuries.

Not happy with the recruitment then I gather. Better to make zero signings and blame it all on the coach?

TheRev

Coach
Now with Dugan here we are a realistic chance of making the 8 if we don't cop anymore injuries.
I still think the #7 is outstanding for us to find any sort of groove in 2013.

I have to say I hope Dugan lives up to peoples expectations, but im not expecting any miracles from the kid whatsoever, the odd line break will be great, but the halves set up our backline for failure imo, there is no speed or shape in our attacking play.