What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wrestling Question Thread

thuganomics

Coach
Red and Blue Knight said:
May i just say Thuga is not completly right, Marl Callous (sp) was arrested on drug posseision charges in 1999 and spent i think 9 months behind bars hence his absence from the WWF. He was always going to return and the new look undertaker was planned for his return.

True story.

Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up.

DB

First Grade
I now have a question?

what was evolution and what happened to it?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Evolution was a stable run by Triple H and including Ric Flair, Batista, and Randy Orton. The first member to leave was Randy Orton, who had Evolution turn on him the very next night. This lead to his largely pathetic face run. Batista left earlier this year after a marvellously built up turn revolving around Triple H's growing jealousy and paranoia. When Batista won the Royal Rumble and earned a shot at a World Title of his choice - Triple H tried to convince him to go to Smackdown by airing promos cut by JBL and later, attempting to run him over. Batista, of course, knew this - and when it came to choosing his show - he Batista bombed Triple H to set up their Wrestlemania match.

Since then Evolution has basically died, since the two members (Triple H and Flair) have recently begun to feud due to Flair's face turn in H's absence.

At one point (2004 Royal Rumble) the group held three titles:
Triple H: World Title
Orton: IC Title
Batista and Flair: Tag Titles

Mr Saab

Referee
it was a stable of Orton, Batista, Flair and HHH.
Orton was the first to leave...he feuded with HHH.
Then Batista left feuding with HHH.
After that it pretty much died. Like with all gimmicks, things get stale

Big Pete

Referee
I remember the whole Evolution rumours going around.

Practically it all started with Triple H and Ric Flair, eventually Orton turned heel and Triple H added him to the team as Flair did the same with Batista. Both Orton and Batista got injured for awhile in early 04. Orton made his return around Judgement Day helping in the beatdown of Kevin Nash. While it took Batista a lot longer finally making his comeback in late 2004 taking Goldbergs bounty before Survivor Series 04.

They them dominated Raw after Armaggedon taking all of the titles (bar the womans) and seem unbeatable. Eventually they broke up on the Raw after Orton won the title. After they butchered Ortons Wrestlemania build up they went for plan B. AKA Batista. Batista turned on Triple H after he learnt Triple H only cared about himself (his exact reasons in WWE DOR for the GameCube). They feuded and Batista won, thus the end of evolution.

Evolution were pretty much a basic stable that dominated Raw for awhile. It eventually became stale as all they did was beat down every wreslter at the end of a Raw episode. However it did complete it's purpose of building Orton and Batista as credible wrestlers.

Anyways that's my spin on it.

Anyways here's a question. I look at wrestling forums and see people rate matches/shows. Now let me ask you, what to you makes a good show and match?

thuganomics

Coach
To me what makes a great show is that there are surprises, great matches and key personel on the show. Those three reasons are mostly why Wrestlemania is constantly the best PPV of the year.

What makes a great match? A great match must have the each competitor having a high level of wrestling ability, and the crowd to be heavily involved. Maybe a surprise twist in the match, but that just adds the icing on the cake for a great match.

PARANoIR

Bench
Red and Blue Knight said:
May i just say Thuga is not completly right, Marl Callous (sp) was arrested on drug posseision charges in 1999 and spent i think 9 months behind bars hence his absence from the WWF. He was always going to return and the new look undertaker was planned for his return.

True story.

Yeah I actually read somewhere that Mark Calloway did go to jail and thats what inspired the gimmick change.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Great Show:

- Surprises, and lots of them
- Good interviews and segments
- Good quality matches, not squashes, and definitely not involving sh*t workers
- Good ring psychology and backstory

Great Match:
- Backstory
- Chain wrestling and counters (if it suits)
- High spots (if it suits)
- Stiff shots (if it suits)
- The match needs to tell a story. HBK is the master of this
- A good finish
- No run ins!

Big Pete

Referee
Hulk Hogan is an icon of the sport and helped pioneer it to mainstream. If it wasn't for Hulk Hogan I wouldn't be a moderator on this board. ;-) Besides from that the man has amazing presence and can cut a good promo.

Goldberg, the man had a fresh gimmick at the time as the first monster face that couldn't be beaten. He was a credible hero and had that in ring presence in Nitro. However people don't rate him that highly, he is far from good in the ring and he has little to none mic skills.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Hogan... it's all about nostalgia. It's the same as old guys at the pub telling you about how much better football was back in the 1960s. We all know it's bullsh*t, but we indulge them and, even, pay lip service to the good old days. Wrestling is strongly driven by that sense of nostalgia. Since the bulk of its audience is young men, I guess a lot of them when they get older tie certain wrestlers to that good time in their life - hence the reaction guys like Hogan, Piper, and even Honky Tonky Man get all these years later.

As for Goldberg, he has a lot of good features and a lot of bad ones. The way he was booked in WCW, and the way he relied on only a few moves, he was great to watch. There were very few pre-loss Goldberg matches (WCW) that I didn't enjoy. Hell, he even had a good match with Hogan, which I'd never have thought possible. His WWE run was utter sh*t, partly because he's lost a lot of his novelty value, and partly because he was booked weakly, and Vince (in his infinite wisdom) decided he needed more moves.

i wanna know how hogan got popular in the first place, hes hopless on the mic, even worse in the ring, he was bald by the age of 10.

Big Pete

Referee
Because Vince McMahon could obviously see something in Hogan which paid off and thus why we've seen the likes of Bret Hart, Stone Cold and The Rock on main stream tv.

lockyno1

Post Whore
pennywisealfie said:
why do fans like hulk hogan and goldberg? i still dont get it

Goldberg I have never liked him really except in WCW days. Hogan sells PPV'S, I just wish he would stop saying "1 last match" which he has said for the last 4 years!

PARANoIR

Bench
Yeh I'm over Hogans last match crap. Im not gonna believe that Hogan won't be having another match until it can be confirmed by atleast 5 different medical institutions, that he is dead.

But I hope Goldberg does come back, I love the guy, I dont care how little wrestling talent he had, he had the spear and the jackhammer, and those were killers.

Misanthrope

Staff member
But I hope Goldberg does come back, I love the guy, I dont care how little wrestling talent he had, he had the spear and the jackhammer, and those were killers.

Unfortunately he's stated he would never work for the WWE again, and I don't blame him. They booked him like just another big guy - and that doesn't suit his style or character at all. Maybe when TNA is a little richer they'll be able to bring him into the fold. Would certainly add legitimacy to their main event.

Ari Gold

Bench
Why is brett Hart named one of the best ever? was it his in-ring ability or his personality? or both?

i never got the chance to see him in action...