What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There's a rumour going around...

Sueb

Juniors
If there are many games at Eden Park next year, then I will definitely reconsider our season tickets. We just don't have as good a time there as at Mt Smart. We took the train as it was promoted, but never again. Walked from morningside to the park and back again after. Not that far, but pretty annoying when you get to the train station and there are no trains for a half hour. The crowd were really starting to get wound up (and rightly so). No one could tell us where the train was, or how far away it was. It was always 5 minutes!!
The food was nicer than Mt Smart, but more expensive. We normally take our food and drink, but weren't sure what the story was for Eden Park. Seats weren't too bad, but not as good as home - too far from the field.

Can't wait to get back to Mt Smart - the home of league in NZ since no Carlaw Park anymore. :)

JAG

Juniors
Which maybe raises the question as to why JAG would have a Sassenach
in his avatar :D

I think he's funny, more the cad thing than the English thing but, now you've mentioned it, I may have to look for something a bit more nationalistic! :D

Anyway....back on topic:

Micistm

Bench
I'd be sad to see them leave Mt Smart for more than the odd game- and that 'odd game' should be fairly shared around NZ fans in Wgt, Chch (when it's up and running again of course) and so on.
Otherwise, it's a decision for the Warriors and the dedicated fans who turn up every week to make.

I'd be sad to see them leave Mt Smart for more than the odd game- and that 'odd game' should be fairly shared around NZ fans in Wgt, Chch (when it's up and running again of course) and so on.
Otherwise, it's a decision for the Warriors and the dedicated fans who turn up every week to make.

Good call. I also think Wellington deserves another NRL game. The crowds down here are not too bad, well behaved for the most part. Facilities are great and the food is meh (most ppl will just goto mcds 5 mins away from stadium)

Season holders should be the first priority and so should Mount Smart :D

Martli

Coach
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4772337/Warriors-boss-open-minded-on-return-to-Eden-Park

Warriors boss open-minded on return to Eden Park

Warriors boss Wayne Scurrah is open-minded to a possible return to Eden Park but says club members will have a say in whether that happens.

As a business exercise the season-opener at Auckland's traditional rugby headquarters was a stunning success with the Warriors drawing a club record 38,412 for their clash with the Eels.

It was the biggest crowd of the opening round, which drew a record 201,212 fans across eight matches – smashing the previous NRL record of 185,051 set in 2007.

But the Warriors' poor 18-24 loss added to the graveyard feel of the ground for rugby league, following heavy New Zealand defeats there in tests against Australia.

Naturally disappointed with the outcome of the match, Scurrah felt that was secondary to the occasion and he was thrilled for the sport to make amends at Eden Park after the disgraceful scenes there during the Four Nations league test last November.

"It was an absolutely fabulous crowd, the behaviour overall was good. I guess you could say we were seven points from a perfect night," said Scurrah, the Warriors chief executive.

"To break our record was fantastic and with that sort of crowd it has worked out financially pretty well. Where we go from here? We always said we were committed for just the one game and we will sit back and observe it for the future. We will take a bit of feedback from members, from Eden Park and the residents' group."

The Warriors' financial machine will see Eden Park as a viable alternative to Mt Smart Stadium (capacity 27,000, with the ability for temporary seating) for special occasions.

The Rugby World Cup will rule that out this year.

Coach Ivan Cleary has kept his changes to a minimum as the Warriors look to atone for their sloppy NRL opening, bringing in Krisnan Inu and Isaac John for Saturday's clash with the Wests Tigers in Sydney.

Inu replaces left wing from Manu Vatuvei who is out for eight weeks after injuring his knee in the 24-18 loss to Parramatta at Eden Park last weekend.

John comes in to cover the absence of the suspended James Maloney, who sits out a week for his charge on Eels fullback Jarryd Hayne.

LeagueNut

First Grade
He's saying the right things I guess.

I just can't shake the feeling that in the grand scheme of things, the bottom line will have a lot more say than club members.

JAG

Juniors
"The Warriors' financial machine will see Eden Park as a viable alternative to Mt Smart Stadium (capacity 27,000, with the ability for temporary seating) for special occasions."

For some reason, I thought the NRL pocketed the cash from finals games. I may well be wrong! I know that's the case with the FFA and the A League, so maybe I'm getting confused. If that is the case then, financially, it wouldn't make any difference.

At the end if the day, the Club will do what it thinks is best for the Club. Unless every season member said they wouldn't go to Eden Park, I'll be very surprised if a huge lot of notice is taken of what the members want.

Although I hate the place, I wouldn't complain (too much) about finals games or the odd one-off game at Eden Park but, any more than that and my season pass money will be staying in my bank account.

Skinner

Coach
"The Warriors' financial machine will see Eden Park as a viable alternative to Mt Smart Stadium (capacity 27,000, with the ability for temporary seating) for special occasions."

For some reason, I thought the NRL pocketed the cash from finals games. I may well be wrong! I know that's the case with the FFA and the A League, so maybe I'm getting confused. If that is the case then, financially, it wouldn't make any difference.

You are absolutely correct - clubs/franchises do not see a cent from any finals games. All revenues go to the National Rugby League.

I guess that potentially could change when the commission takes it over though.

JAG

Juniors
You are absolutely correct - clubs/franchises do not see a cent from any finals games. All revenues go to the National Rugby League.

I guess that potentially could change when the commission takes it over though.

Thanks for confirming that. I almost sound like I nearly know what I'm talking about sometimes. Scary!

IanG

Coach
Would one of those be the Round 23 match againts the Knights? I'm coming over for that game

LeagueNut

First Grade
There won't be any more regular season games at Eden Park this year Ian - next year might be a different story.

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10714987

NRL: Eden Park calls to Warriors

Mt Smart Stadium is to remain the home of the Warriors - but league probably hasn't seen the last of Eden Park.

Playing matches at the upgraded home of rugby next season hadn't yet been considered, however the club is holding discussions with Regional Facilities Auckland (RFA) - the body created to run much of the Super City's infrastructure.

Those discussions have revolved around how the Warriors can increase flagging attendances. With a crowd of 38,412 having attended the season-opener at Eden Park, the option of switching more matches to the rugby stronghold is certain to be on the agenda.

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah confirmed the Eden Park match had been highly profitable for the club and the stadium, but said it was too early to say if or when the Warriors would return.

"We haven't even started to consider next year's programme, so I don't want to predict that we are going to be playing there at all," he said.

RFA chief executive John Brockies described discussions with the club as at "whiteboard level".

While nothing concrete appears to be in motion, the FA board have been discussing a long-term business plan for Mt Smart behind closed doors.

Shifting the Warriors permanently to Eden Park wasn't on the table, Brockies said. "The mandate and expectation of City Hall and of very loyal league supporters is that we'll try to make better use of Mt Smart," he said. "But we also need to look more broadly across the region and see what else we could do."

That "what else" would appear to be switching big matches such as season-openers, double headers, finals and test matches to Eden Park.

Scurrah insisted the club had no plans to ditch Mt Smart. "We have not considered any other option than Mt Smart as our home," he said. But whether the Warriors will remain at a venue that also hosts Oceania Soccer and Auckland Athletics long term is unclear.

The club's preferred option is to remain at Mt Smart. That could be contingent on the creaking stadium receiving a significant upgrade. In the build-up to the season-opener against the Eels at Eden Park, Scurrah said the days when fans would accept temporary seating on scaffolds and portable toilets were over. The erection of a stand at the open northern end of the ground - with an improvement in changing and catering facilities - are likely to be high on the Warriors' list of demands.

"We are really committed to providing fans with the best facilities available, and what they would expect at international venues these days," Scurrah said. "Clearly that would require some improvements to Mt Smart Stadium."

Brockies' views on upgrading seating capacity at Mt Smart appeared to present a Catch 22.

"We need to have a business model to understand how [the Warriors] might build attendances, for what sort of games, how frequently and when we might get to a critical mass that some expansion might be merited," he said. "But if [the club] is very successful we may already have a solution elsewhere."

That solution would be to play games that draw larger attendances at Eden Park.

However, the Eels match was unpopular with some hard core supporters and there are concerns over the increased costs associated with Eden Park. Fixture conflicts with rugby and resource consent restrictions on the number of night matches that can be played at Eden Park also create complications.

Mothballing Mt Smart, or keeping it predominantly for concerts, was also an unlikely option, Brockies said.

"There is no discussion of any option that would see Mt Smart not being used for some purpose. The starting point is that it is a very highly regarded league venue. It has got a strong loyalty in its customer base but it does have some issues in terms of capacity and quality of service."

Both parties appear to be waiting for the other to signal their intent.

"The quicker we can get to a solution that works commercially for them then the quicker we can get to an investment proposal with confidence knowing that we will have the support of other users of Mt Smart," Brockies said.

Scurrah suggested the ball was more in FA's court. "Once we get a better picture of the City's view on the strategy for the venues and events to be played at them that will certainly help us make a decision going forward." That decision would likely be made in June or July, he said.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
The club's preferred option is to remain at Mt Smart. That could be contingent on the creaking stadium receiving a significant upgrade. In the build-up to the season-opener against the Eels at Eden Park, Scurrah said the days when fans would accept temporary seating on scaffolds and portable toilets were over. The erection of a stand at the open northern end of the ground - with an improvement in changing and catering facilities - are likely to be high on the Warriors' list of demands.

won't happen. they should be able to get the south end redone, but the north end being open is probably somewhat of a big deal for concerts.

Leaguelass

Juniors
won't happen. they should be able to get the south end redone, but the north end being open is probably somewhat of a big deal for concerts.

They hold big concerts at Suncorp without any problems so that should not be a major issue against a new stand.

On another note - I was over from Brissy for the Eels game and had no problems getting to and away from the ground - very easy on the train and no waiting - perhaps we were just lucky. Kind of missed being at Mt Smart though!

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4841662/Warriors-smarting-over-stadium-seats

A Rugby World Cup shut-out means the Warriors can't move any finals matches from Mt Smart to Eden Park this season – leaving the club concerned about plummeting capacity at Mt Smart.

IRB rules stopping stadiums taking non-rugby bookings either side of the Rugby World Cup means the Warriors cannot switch any finals matches to Eden Park, or even North Harbour Stadium. But in its present configuration, there are seats for just 19,000 fans at Mt Smart.

There are suggestions that's the lowest figure in at least five years, with Mt Smart once capable of holding 27,000 before stadium management removed temporary seating stands behind the northern goalposts. Capacity issues have been part of an ongoing debate between the Warriors and the stadium for at least three years. But until now, the club has had the option, or potential threat, of switching to Eden Park if Mt Smart wasn't up to the task. The NRL only mandate "home city" venues for playoffs.

This year, the club is stuck, although in a sign that relations are tense, Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah was reluctant to go into detail. "We are focusing on getting to a position to be eligible for finals, so we are concentrating on earning the points first; that's a long way off," he said. When pushed, he conceded: "We have had some communications about it, but I won't elaborate on them."

Mt Smart boss Paul Nisbet said the relationship with the club was "fine" and capacity actually sat at 23,700 – if you count the grass bank at the northern end where fans are permitted to sit. Nisbet said there were 19,000 seats at Mt Smart in 1999 and the same last season.

"The capacity is fine at the moment with the crowds we are attracting," he said. "It would be looked at and discussed in more depth when it becomes clear if there are home semi-finals on the horizon."

In related news, rumours the Warriors have already struck a long-term deal to take at least one game a season to Eden Park are false, says Scurrah. There have been no discussions yet with Eden Park management about switching another game there, but Scurrah says the round one game against Parramatta, which drew a turnout of more than 32,000, was profitable for the club and stadium.

oh my god, shut up already. wait for the team to win a game before launching a world cup is stealing our seats for the finals campaign.

... that the Warriors are going to play as many as 5 or 6 "home" games at Eden Park from next season.

I guess there's a financial benefit in it for them, so it would be bloody hard to say no. Looks like the Mt Smart days could be all over soon.

Are we ready for the move??
Warriors should play more games in places like Christchurch, Taupo, Wellington etc..

Latest posts