What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They still don't get it

bartman

Immortal
^^^ Exactly.

Just cop the punishment with humility, rather than as a coach still bang on about it publicly given the opportunity. I hope Bellamy ends his time at the Storm with no premierships, due to the way he's handled this issue.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The 'siege mentality' is probably one reason they're doing so well this year, but it's also a reason they won't have many neutrals in their corner should they be involved on Grand Final day.

I think all that the Storm want is for their work for those years to be acknowledged. Fair enough to want that, but you all seem to refuse to acknowledge that your hard work was helped by systematically cheating. Fine, the players didn't cheat, nor did the coach. How ever, they were tools of cheating.

If a running coach gave his runner steroids and the runner didn't know, do you think that runner deserves to keep his medals? Should he still feel like he accomplished something?

Storm fans, you can believe what ever you like. Your beliefs mean nothing. Your emotions mean squat in this matter. Fact is you did not win the premiership and the moment you and your club show acknowledge that you did not win anything those years, you will earn some respect back.

That is an excellent analogy.
Sums up the argument perfectly......so well in fact that no Storm supporter has acknowledged it.

There is only one answer for it and it is "no".

Usain Bolt

Bench
for all you dumb merkins out there like Jason Maher.

Heres the simple solution....

they won 0 premierships

but they did win 2 grand finals

DUCY?

stormbati

Bench
Can someone tell me why Bellamy should give a toss what you guys think?
Some even want an apology!
Im pretty sure the same people but Bellamy in the same boat with Waldren and co when the news broke.

Why did Warren Smith ask such a sensitive question? Why did the Telegraph have to report on a dead issue?

And Bunniesman, please save it mate, Your Mob signed Burgess for 150k and you have Inglis, Crocker, Matt King and a new coach next year who were all there while the rorts were happening so stfu!
David Kidwell and Crocker! Thats 2 captains so get off your highhorse.

Evenflow

Bench
You are complicit in the defence of it, and the argument that it was all ok.

That's why you cop sh*t relentlessly. Even calling opposition fans f*ckwits - wow, what a way to make peace for your clubs evil wrongdoings. Once a f*cktard, always a f*cktard I guess.

Where have i defended the rorting? Where have i once said that the rorting was all ok? Where have i said that i thought we were hard done by? Good luck finding it because i never have. I despise the likes of Waldron for being the main instigator and "chief rat" much more than you ever could for bringing my club to it's knees and if you think i'm defending that and saying it's ok then you're a bigger dickhead than i thought you were.

All i have said is if the coach, players or other supporters think and feel we still won the premierships then who the f**k am i or anyone else to tell them that they shouldn't/can't feel that way just because i don't? It's their prerogative and they can treat the situation as they damn well please and i have no issue whatsoever with that.

As for calling opposition fans f**kwits it's not all of them, far from it and there's many more good ones out there, it's just a select few like yourself who's right at the top of the tree. That's not just a Storm supporter thing though, many others from every other club thinks you're a f**kwit as well so i sure as shit aint Robinson Crusoe there. Fancy being so stupid criticizing me for calling someone a f**kwit then calling me a f**ktard in the next couple of lines :crazy:

I or any other Storm fans don't have to appease opposition fans or make peace with them for our clubs wrongdoings because the simple fact is we didn't do anything wrong and had nothing at all to do with the rorting. That's not to say i don't understand their anger in certain respects because i do, if my team was denied an even chance to win the comp then i'd be more than likely to be pissed to. But once again that wasn't our fans doing and we can't apologize for other peoples actions. The only ones that should are Waldron, Hanson, Sullivan etc and whether you like it or not that should be to Storm fans first because (besides coaches and players) we were the biggest losers out of this than anyone.

DJShaksta

First Grade
The storm act like they were hard done by, when they should be grateful they weren't kicked out of the competition.

betcats

Referee
They might have been over the salary cap but if they weren't aware of it then it would be pretty hard to accept 2 years of toil and hard work amounted to nothing. As I said those things you say there show that they are victims as much as anyone else. They don't feel they cheated, they feel they have been cheated. They feel they worked harder than anyone else to get those premierships only for them to be taken away because the guys whose job was to keep their books clean were criminals.

Correct me if im wrong but didnt some of the players sign two contracts? If so they must of realised something was up.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I agree that Gallop didn't handle it as smoothly as he could have - but the way many storm fans and vicmedia painted it as a 'conspiracy from up north' and blamed everyone else rather than their own admin is what turned so many fans against them.
As for how much the players knew, in hindsight they'd have to think it didn't smell right but it's human nature to take what you can get.

There are plenty of reasonable storm fans out there that copped it as sweetly as it could be taken. It's not the fans fault, but the club deserved everything they got - fans are unfortunately caught in the crossfire and not hidden away in cosey offices.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
That's a long bow to draw. Huge difference between being punished for cheating and being punished for doing nothing wrong at all.

If my club wins the premiership in 2012, and in 2013 Schubert is clever enough to figure out (only because someone told him) that Crowe was running around Sydney all year throwing bags full of cash into players backyards, and as a result we lost our first premiership in 41 years, I'd be gutted, I'd be dissapointed, I'd feel like I just had a death in the family, but I'd also agree that we wouldn't deserve to be called 2012 premiers and for the rest of my life I'd never claim that as a premiership my club won. THAT is how Storm fans, and fans of any future club caught cheating should react. They'd have more respect and sympathy shown their way.

I am not condoning the cheating. I am saying that they got away with it.

If people want to use a drug cheating analogy then think of the penalties for a drug cheat. Long suspensions, life bans etc. This includes players who were involved unwittingly.Nothing at all like that has happened. The NRL treats drug cheats completely differently to how it treats salary cap cheats. Slater just won player of the year - would that have happened if he was busted for steroids in 2010?

God-King Dean

Immortal
Melbourne+Storm+Training+Session+WFS1LLk4_N-l.jpg

God-King Dean

Immortal
f**king rofl at the Storm fans saying they didn't know.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/smiths-three-contracts/comments-e6frexnr-1225875916005

NRL salary cap investigators have discovered champion hooker Cameron Smith had THREE separate contracts with Melbourne Storm.

One was registered with the NRL, one was in a file at the Storm's administration headquarters and another was being hidden at the home of former CEO Matt Hanson.
The contracts, which were drawn up by disgraced former boss Brian Waldron, also included payments for a home renovation and a guaranteed commentary role at Fox Sports. Super League architect John Ribot negotiated the Fox Sports deal.
Smith continues to deny he was aware of any rorting.
Other instances of Storm stars having more than one contract have been uncovered by the investigators.
The Storm are $850,000 over the cap this season and an astonishing $1.5 million next season.
News Limited spokesman Greg Baxter yesterday told 2GB the company now believed board members and players knew many of the contracts were illegal.

..........but he didn't know.

Freddy's Girl

Juniors
This is one of the main points, it wasn't that they had better players (they did though) but they developed them, Cameron Smith was a Broncos reject and if the Broncos wanted a slice of Cronk, Slater or Smith they would have had them. They didn't really buy superstars, they just had better paid players, illegally paid players. Clint Newton, Jeremy Smith a couple of others that they parted ways with to keep up with the myth they were abiding by a salary cap, each year it seemed like they were managing their funds to try and keep their big 4 when in actual fact they were just being cunning and underhanded. It roped mostly everyone in the NRL community into it, I thought they used the majority of their cap on the big guys and paid a pittance for the rest. It seems to have roped even the players and coach of the club into it. Bellamy is using it as fuel to fire a premiership win, those players are hungry for redemption. I would like to think it is on the CEOs that screwed the club over.

They just found them first. Few clubs were going after inglis but they managed to lure him with the big money. How much did they develop them?

Loudstrat

Coach
Where have i defended the rorting? Where have i once said that the rorting was all ok? Where have i said that i thought we were hard done by? Good luck finding it because i never have. I despise the likes of Waldron for being the main instigator and "chief rat" much more than you ever could for bringing my club to it's knees and if you think i'm defending that and saying it's ok then you're a bigger dickhead than i thought you were.

All i have said is if the coach, players or other supporters think and feel we still won the premierships then who the f**k am i or anyone else to tell them that they shouldn't/can't feel that way just because i don't? It's their prerogative and they can treat the situation as they damn well please and i have no issue whatsoever with that.

As for calling opposition fans f**kwits it's not all of them, far from it and there's many more good ones out there, it's just a select few like yourself who's right at the top of the tree. That's not just a Storm supporter thing though, many others from every other club thinks you're a f**kwit as well so i sure as shit aint Robinson Crusoe there. Fancy being so stupid criticizing me for calling someone a f**kwit then calling me a f**ktard in the next couple of lines :crazy:

I or any other Storm fans don't have to appease opposition fans or make peace with them for our clubs wrongdoings because the simple fact is we didn't do anything wrong and had nothing at all to do with the rorting. That's not to say i don't understand their anger in certain respects because i do, if my team was denied an even chance to win the comp then i'd be more than likely to be pissed to. But once again that wasn't our fans doing and we can't apologize for other peoples actions. The only ones that should are Waldron, Hanson, Sullivan etc and whether you like it or not that should be to Storm fans first because (besides coaches and players) we were the biggest losers out of this than anyone.
You just dont get it, do you?

How come you are having this argument, while the likes of Lesstar never did?

You started the f*ckwit thing when you attacked aggrieved opposition fans. Mate, what your mob did was the worst case of rampant long term cheating in the history of Rugby League. And you reckon we are f*ckwits for reacting? Sorry, we are not. But it makes you a f*cktard for thinking that way.

They gave GI the best one.

080225_D2X_9404_500px-01.jpg

inside_pass

Bench
Get over it... They played in the games, got the rings, trained hard those years and celebrated after the GF's!! Whether you agree not not, as bellamy said all the people involved over those years believe they're the premiers and you cannot change what people believe!!

But there's still the fact they blatantly rorted the cap which in my eyes is "cheating".
The Storm can whinge all they want but they won those GF's with illegal rosters.
If every other team was cheating the cap at the time then you can have those premierships back because then it would have been an even playing field.Otherwise the Storm will just have to accept that they got caught out red handed and live with the stigma of being called cheats.
The sad thing is that they were a great rugby league team who will always be remembered as the team that forever tarnished that club's image and the cheating tag will always be linked with the melbourne storm from now on even though the current team has a legal roster.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
AT the end of the day money doesnt make you pass, kick or catch betetr. it doesnt buy you betetr gameplans or improve commitment. the storm in my eyes are still premiers, yes they're removed from the record books for what they did but moeny didnt win them those games. there's been plenty of teams with good rosters who havent won premierships

Latest posts