What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They still don't get it

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Slater and co were never in massive demand because they were never allowed to be. They always signed contract extensions before other clubs even got a sniff

we're talking about before they became regular first graders and their development in comparison to Inglis who was marked from an early age as having talent

Loudstrat

Coach
Then you have to praise Mark Murray and Chris Anderson as well for the development of Smith and Slater. Both were first graders, and I think Origin reps before Bellamy got there.

And we dont know how much in demand they were as juniors. That scenario is not played out in the papers like the demand for a first grader.

The point is not that they amassed talented juniors, but they kept them. How good would this side look.......

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. David Williams
3. Krisnan Inu
4. Willie Tonga
5. Luke Burt
6. Jamie Lyon
7. Chris Sandow
8. Tim Mannah
9. Kevin Kingston
10 Fiu Fiu Moi Moi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Feleti Mateo
13 Paul Gallan

That's our run on side next year if we also got to keep the players we developed.

wow, they basically have no remorse for what they have done. they are a rogue team, playing by there own rules. they cheated the league for numerous years, made the 2007 and 2009 season basically worth nothing and THEY are the ones who feel cheated. f**k right off you purple merkins. The nrl should have banned them from the league.

The no remorse thing worries me. In college football in the early-mid 80s, the big team was SMU, in a league where you are not allowed to pay players anything, the school had been found to pay players and massive sanctions were handed down....only for them to do it again 2 years later. Storm could be heading down the same direction, because all i have seen from them is they are in the right and everyone else is in the wrong.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. David Williams
3. Krisnan Inu
4. Willie Tonga
5. Luke Burt
6. Jamie Lyon
7. Chris Sandow
8. Tim Mannah
9. Kevin Kingston
10 Fiu Fiu Moi Moi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Feleti Mateo
13 Paul Gallan

That's our run on side next year if we also got to keep the players we developed.

point taken, but how many of them left purely for the money? Lyon walked out because he was homesick and thought England was closer to wee waa than parra, Kingston I'll grant you who had to leave due to a stupid rule, not sure about the reasons behind gallen and williams, but i got the impression Inu and Mateo were on the outer with the club. Players also leave for opportunity

Perth Red

Post Whore
The point is not that they amassed talented juniors, but they kept them. How good would this side look.......

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. David Williams
3. Krisnan Inu
4. Willie Tonga
5. Luke Burt
6. Jamie Lyon
7. Chris Sandow
8. Tim Mannah
9. Kevin Kingston
10 Fiu Fiu Moi Moi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Feleti Mateo
13 Paul Gallan

it's a shame our comp values mediocrity and artificially dragging everyone down to the same level rather than rewarding clubs with great development programmes. Watching the old Raiders and Wigan sides of the 80's and 90's was joy to see such talent on the field together.

simostorm

Bench
actually they could win it with that team.. if they had Bellamy coaching.. maybe.. talthough here's no Cronk, Smith or Slater or anyone as up to par as those 3 guys..

Perth Red

Post Whore
actually they could win it with that team.. if they had Bellamy coaching.. maybe.. talthough here's no Cronk, Smith or Slater or anyone as up to par as those 3 guys..

but they couldn't afford that team so even without a salary cap they couldn't have kept that team together. Watering down the comp to the lowest common denominator is not a good thing imo.

DJShaksta

First Grade
So you'd rather a comp where only 2 or 3 of the teams are a real chance at the premiership???

sting

Bench
but they couldn't afford that team so even without a salary cap they couldn't have kept that team together. Watering down the comp to the lowest common denominator is not a good thing imo.

Coming from the guy that tries to derail every thread to talk about the Reds getting in. If you think it's watered down, surely we can't have any more teams!

Why is it only certain people blame the salary cap for all this? 15 other teams don't have a problem with it and the comp is going great.

LatK7

First Grade
Coming from the guy that tries to derail every thread to talk about the Reds getting in. If you think it's watered down, surely we can't have any more teams!

Why is it only certain people blame the salary cap for all this? 15 other teams don't have a problem with it and the comp is going great.

Very good point.

Tommax25

Bench
:lol: so many bitter people

btw i'm not a storm fan, i dont deny they cheated the cap and i actually believe the NRL did what they had to do (too bad they didnt do the same to the dogs team as their "illegally" assembled team won a year later)

the storm assembled a squad made up of players they had developed such as Slater, Inglis, Cronk, & Smith. they added discards from other clubs. Would the bigger names stayed for less? who knows, I'm sure Locky and Hindmarsh have had bigger offers from rival clubs over the years and knocked them back

if they had been playing fair would they have had the same depth? probably not. would they have still gotten there? we'll never know.

But it's a ludicrous argument that the ONLY reason the storm won those premierships was cos they cheated the cap. Did rorting the cap help? of course it did, but it isnt the be all and end all. f**k me there's been some very poorly performing clubs who constantly go over the cap (albeit not by a million)

You are wrong. All of it. The ONLY reason the storm won those premierships was because they cheated. For that reason the titles were stripped. End of story.

And fyi thos epoorly performing clubs don't go over the cap by a million like the storm did because they aren't cheating like the storm were. Those little lapses occur due to injuries and having to call up more players, players reaching bonuses ect ect. Not "hey, lets pay our players 25% more so they won't leave and our team will be better derp". The storm have nothing from those years except the bitter taste of 40-0 and the loss to the Broncos. Nothing else.

firechild

First Grade
point taken, but how many of them left purely for the money? Lyon walked out because he was homesick and thought England was closer to wee waa than parra, Kingston I'll grant you who had to leave due to a stupid rule, not sure about the reasons behind gallen and williams, but i got the impression Inu and Mateo were on the outer with the club. Players also leave for opportunity

Lyon walked out because the club (well, a few specific people including Brian Smith) did something that would have made anyone walk out. David Williams was about to give the game away when he signed with Manly. He wasn't going to stay at Parra regardless of the salary cap.

Lowdown

Juniors
You are wrong. All of it. The ONLY reason the storm won those premierships was because they cheated. For that reason the titles were stripped. End of story.

And the world is flat.

So, their talent, training, conditioning, skills sessions, the chicken wings/grapples/crushers played no part?

Pretty sure if you assembled a bunch of homeless people, paid them $1 million over the cap and gave them a NRL license for say, Perth. Their chance of premiership success based on the ONLY fact that they're paid above the cap is...let me think...quite low.

I reckon winless low. Maybe even lower.

But in some peoples simple minds, its easy to think in simple terms.

Latest posts