What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They still don't get it

sting

Bench
So in other words you can't back up your assertion to find anywhere that i'm proud of the rorting. Geez there's a surprise......

I don't need to. I am directing everything I say at the people involved with the Storm as a whole, so stop trying to make it all about you. Are you that much of an attention seeker? Nobody gives a f**k about you.

Do you represent the Storm as a whole? Are you their whole fan base? No. So f**k off

betcats

Referee
Bellamys attitude is what pisses people off imo. Acting like they deserve those premierships is insulting, they cheated to get them, whethor he knew or not doesnt matter, fact is they cheated to get them so they dont count, no matter how hard they worked they still cheated.

Evenflow

Bench
Nobody gives a f**k about you.

Do you represent the Storm as a whole? Are you their whole fan base? No. So f**k off

Yet you continually reply to my posts lol Now stop being nasty or i'll begin to think you don't like me.

firechild

First Grade
While I was pretty adamant at the time that the 2007 and 2009 premierships should not have been handed to Manly or Parra, in hindsight, it would have been good to have those clubs listed as premiers for no other reason than the fact it could not be as easily disputed by Melbourne fans/officials and players. If the record books listed Manly and Parra then in the future people (especially those who weren't around to experience it) wouldn't be entertaining the idea that Melbourne were the premiers. It would be no different to the 1975 grand final. For the most part, unless your a supporter of one of the teams that played in the grabd final you couldn't care less who won it. Not listing a team for a given year highlights this blight on the game's history that will never go away.

Loudstrat

Coach
betcats said:
Bellamys attitude is what pisses people off imo. Acting like they deserve those premierships is insulting, they cheated to get them, whethor he knew or not doesnt matter, fact is they cheated to get them so they dont count, no matter how hard they worked they still cheated.
And that's the problem.

If Melbourne win this years comp, they will deserve our recognition as the best team in the comp. Bellamy, Smith, Slater and co will expect it, and probably crap on about some vindication over the stripped comps.

But if they expect it - and expect us to be gracious - that would be hypocritical and arrogant, because they never paid the compliment back to us in kind when they were found out. They still hung on to the emotional territory that comes with wining comps. As a Parra fan it would be wrong of us to claim a de-facto premiership from their disqualification in 09, but f*ck me their entire club crapped themselves in the back end of that GF when Eric Grothe Jnr and Fui Fui Moi Moi ploughed over the top of them to get us back within 6. Apart from game day platitudes, Melbourne never acknowledged what they robbed from us that day by their cheating, or Manly in 07, or anyone else - they also just beat us in the prelim final of 07 too.

Canterbury were more complicit, and got on with things. Folkes, Mortimer, Peponis, Price or Mason never campaigned against the verdict, and when they won their comp, while there was a whiff of an illegally assembled side, the Dogs never rubbed anyone's nose in it, and we were free to congratulate them and drop the subject - some internet banter aside.

The club caused the game a massive wound, which can only heal if they grow up and shut the f*ck up whenever someone gives them the opportunity to do so.

But if they wont, we cant expect their dumber fans to. It must be a real bitch to their decent supporters who have elected to do the right thing and let it go - waiting for the rest to catch on.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal

Bellamy's an arrogant f*ckwit who has won zero premierships and did SFA for NSW (Having useless players doesn't exactly help). Storm have done nothing since 1999 and he just doesn't seem to understand that. Those who think he knew nothing of the rorts are deadset kidding themselves

betcats

Referee
Bellamy's an arrogant f*ckwit who has won zero premierships and did SFA for NSW (Having useless players doesn't exactly help). Storm have done nothing since 1999 and he just doesn't seem to understand that. Those who think he knew nothing of the rorts are deadset kidding themselves

I think he knew as well but i was trying to be diplomatic.

Loudstrat

Coach
Good point Hutty. If Bellamy and the players didnt know - where was the backlach against the board? Yes, Scapegoat Waldron was blamed, but you would think that f suddenly your team and your mates were suddenly being broken up and sent to live and work in another city, with all the family upheval, finding schools for kids, buying and selling houses, getting jobs for spouses etc, PLUS stripping you of premierships - you would be so pissed off with the joint that you'd tell them to shove their club and move on.

You certainly wouldnt defend them.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Bellamy must have known. He is a disgrace, and to give him coach of the year just reeks of News Limited and their wrongful place in the game.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
:lol: so many bitter people

btw i'm not a storm fan, i dont deny they cheated the cap and i actually believe the NRL did what they had to do (too bad they didnt do the same to the dogs team as their "illegally" assembled team won a year later)

the storm assembled a squad made up of players they had developed such as Slater, Inglis, Cronk, & Smith. they added discards from other clubs. Would the bigger names stayed for less? who knows, I'm sure Locky and Hindmarsh have had bigger offers from rival clubs over the years and knocked them back

if they had been playing fair would they have had the same depth? probably not. would they have still gotten there? we'll never know.

But it's a ludicrous argument that the ONLY reason the storm won those premierships was cos they cheated the cap. Did rorting the cap help? of course it did, but it isnt the be all and end all. f**k me there's been some very poorly performing clubs who constantly go over the cap (albeit not by a million)

Loudstrat

Coach
:lol: so many bitter people

btw i'm not a storm fan, i dont deny they cheated the cap and i actually believe the NRL did what they had to do (too bad they didnt do the same to the dogs team as their "illegally" assembled team won a year later)

the storm assembled a squad made up of players they had developed such as Slater, Inglis, Cronk, & Smith. they added discards from other clubs. Would the bigger names stayed for less? who knows, I'm sure Locky and Hindmarsh have had bigger offers from rival clubs over the years and knocked them back

if they had been playing fair would they have had the same depth? probably not. would they have still gotten there? we'll never know.

But it's a ludicrous argument that the ONLY reason the storm won those premierships was cos they cheated the cap. Did rorting the cap help? of course it did, but it isnt the be all and end all. f**k me there's been some very poorly performing clubs who constantly go over the cap (albeit not by a million)
Hindy recently said that he only ever had one decent offer to leave.

We also know that Smith was doing the "get closer to family" move to the Titans until Waldron bought a shovel and some more books.

QAnd we also know that Melnourne can't simply claim the credit for "developin" players. Inglis was already a gun - being selected to leave home to go to a sports high school, and play grade in the Newcastle comp at, what, 16? Its not as if they went and rounded up 13 kids from the local lolly shop and turned them into Internationals!

firechild

First Grade
But is it just a huge coincidence that each of the 4 years they cheated, they made the grand final? They didn't make it the year before they cheated, they may make it the year after they were penalised but only because they were allowed to keep their 3 most important players who are clearly 3 of the best in the NRL. Even the young players that have come into the NRL were probably lured to the club over recent seasons largely due to the success they were having which was a direct result of cheating. Therefore they are still reaping rewards from the years of cheating.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Hindy recently said that he only ever had one decent offer to leave.

yeah i remember that now. always surprised me more clubs never went after him more seriously.

QAnd we also know that Melnourne can't simply claim the credit for "developin" players. Inglis was already a gun - being selected to leave home to go to a sports high school, and play grade in the Newcastle comp at, what, 16? Its not as if they went and rounded up 13 kids from the local lolly shop and turned them into Internationals!

Inglis may be an exception, but players like Slater, SMith and Cronk werent exactly in huge demand. the Storm system has also managed to improve some pretty average players. again this isnt money related, players dont develop better skills because you pay them more (or Daniel Mortimenr would be a superstar by now)

But is it just a huge coincidence that each of the 4 years they cheated, they made the grand final? They didn't make it the year before they cheated, they may make it the year after they were penalised but only because they were allowed to keep their 3 most important players who are clearly 3 of the best in the NRL. Even the young players that have come into the NRL were probably lured to the club over recent seasons largely due to the success they were having which was a direct result of cheating. Therefore they are still reaping rewards from the years of cheating.

how long has Bellamy been there for? i'd say he has a lot to do with their success. I agree that their "winning" culture probably has helped to attract some players but they lost a number of players last year through the whole thing. what was the NRL meant to do? say you cant keep x amount of players? or you cant keep these certain players?

sting

Bench
Inglis may be an exception, but players like Slater, SMith and Cronk werent exactly in huge demand. the Storm system has also managed to improve some pretty average players. again this isnt money related, players dont develop better skills because you pay them more (or Daniel Mortimenr would be a superstar by now)

Slater and co were never in massive demand because they were never allowed to be. They always signed contract extensions before other clubs even got a sniff