What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This new stadium for Sydney better not be multi-purpose

docbrown

Coach
Although its just a small sample of NRL fans the Claim Your Territory map actually gives some insight into where new facilities could be based in order to service the populations.

322l7D4.jpg

Given their remoteness you'd probably still want stadiums that can service the Penrith, Campbelltown, Sutherland and Manly areas.

The question is though can you create or refurbish one or two big stadiums that can service 5-6 teams?

If you look at the map it seems as if there's two key centralised points - one just north of the airport around Marrickville way which is between the Dragons/Tigers/Roosters/Bulldogs/Rabbitohs fans.

The other is actually around Homebush between the Eels/Tigers/Bulldogs/Rabbitohs supporters.

Further to that though they also need to be located near rail, road and entertainment infrastructure.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Although its just a small sample of NRL fans the Claim Your Territory map actually gives some insight into where new facilities could be based in order to service the populations.

322l7D4.jpg

Given their remoteness you'd probably still want stadiums that can service the Penrith, Campbelltown, Sutherland and Manly areas.

The question is though can you create or refurbish one or two big stadiums that can service 5-6 teams?

If you look at the map it seems as if there's two key centralised points - one just north of the airport around Marrickville way which is between the Dragons/Tigers/Roosters/Bulldogs/Rabbitohs fans.

The other is actually around Homebush between the Eels/Tigers/Bulldogs/Rabbitohs supporters.

Further to that though they also need to be located near rail, road and entertainment infrastructure.

Do you have a link to that doc? The direct link on the membership home page seems to have disappeared for me anyway

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does not have to be at the expense of expansion!

Expansion can occur without diluting the Sydney market! Adding extra teams just like in years gone by can still occur! As I've stated before, other codes are waiting for the NRL to make the same mistake from the Super league war and reduce the clubs in Sydney. Its the jewel in the crown of Australian sport!

You get generational fans offside , you lose them! I know of former North Sydney fans that do not follow the game anymore because their team is not represented in the NRL. This would have been the case with South Sydney had the overwhelming groundswell support for this club not happened. They are massive mistakes getting rid of established clubs. They are known and they are very popular through generations and established recognition over many years!

I'm all for extra teams!
Your continued attack on existing popular and established clubs in Sydney is doing the West Coast Pirates bid no favours! Hopefully you may work this out!

These clubs can add onto the NRL. They don't have ruin the NRL presence in Sydney for entry!

You must have missed grants announcements last year and smith's this year. They have clearly and regularly stated they want to see expansion but will not consider it until struggling existing clubs are sustainable. That is the reality of our current situation. You might not like my opinion, and as a fan of a Sydney club or a traditionalist I fully understand and respect that, but put yourself in my shoes, we have the potential to host a very successful NRL club in my city but keep getting told no because existing clubs are skint. I very much doubt my views or opinions are doing perth's bid favours or no favours lol!

docbrown

Coach
Do you have a link to that doc? The direct link on the membership home page seems to have disappeared for me anyway

It's - http://member.nrl.com/

But it's can get rather slow and painful to use at times. I basically just snapshotted and joined the 4 pics together in about 2 minutes just as an example.

Just on those two central locations, say Eastern -

w0eWfsB.jpg

xcR5HOi.jpg

and for the Western one -

VPXodFV.jpg

68abtZD.jpg

franklin2323

Immortal
It's going to take at least a decade for any new stadium to come into effect anyway so planning would have to happen over the next few years.

If we build up certain games enough from now. No reason why we can't get 1-2 huge crowds a round.

Get 15-20k to the suburban grounds. You add Newcastle/Brisbane/Canberra to that the 20k minimum is achievable. Only use 2-3 grounds it won't happen.

I don't see things changing enough for it to be viable for all clubs. Given the ratings Sunday/Monday games aren't going anywhere. In fact I dare say Thurs night will be more frequent. We play worknights. I can't take the family that won't change.

In 10 years Penrith/Campbelltown will still be regional. M4/M5 still be garbage. Still take over a train from the city. I would love to work closer to home but not possible so more then likely have that commute

Manly will still have no train line a penisula that can't expand too much add to that 2 already busy roads.
Cronulla very Similar just with a train station but not direct from central.

As for 20k not being enough it might be true. It's why you plan now to try & get a couple of 'event' games like ANZAC day & Good Friday.

If we start now no reason in 10 years we can't get 40k to atleast 10 games. Every game wont draw that so smaller grounds will still be needed.

franklin2323

Immortal
The problem with suburban ground is exactly that, they are grounds in a suburban area. They're not designed to have masses of people showing up all at once.
Say what you want about ANZ but the place is designed to have 100,000 people at any one time.
Then you look at places like Brooky. Once you get more than 5,000 people, all thats left is street parking or paying some random person to let you park in their driveway.
Low capacities and shiitty amenities are not the only reasons people dont show up.

It's why you wouldn't upgrade these grounds. The only 1 that really is a run down with no parking is Brookvale. The other 4 areas I am talking about Penrith, Campbelltown and Shark Park are fine. In fact in Penrith There's 20 streets, A shopping Centre, A public park all within 10 min walk to the ground all free parking

Lambretta

First Grade
This thread isn't about what has to happen right now; it's about what needs to happen in the long term. In the long term 20k isn't big enough.

It's going to take at least a decade for any new stadium to come into effect anyway so planning would have to happen over the next few years.

There is a solution to this

Behold Stadium MK

1279711342-stadium:mk.jpg

The stadium has 22,000 seats. You see the next tier up - the one with the poured concrete and no seats. Space for a further 10,000 seats if required. That takes it to 32,000.

Notice the roof? That can be easily dismantled and another tier can be added on top of the existing on and the roof replaced. Outcome 40,000+ seater stadium.

Wherever you sit in that stadium (in padded folding down seats with space to comfortably walk between each row) you feel like you're on top of the action on the field.

How was it funded you ask? Well there is a HILTON Hotel built into one side of the stadium, so you can root your missus in the honeymoon suite and then walk out, take your seat and watch the game.

Or you can have a business conference in the hotel, stop for lunch and watch the game. Hilton are not there at the expense of the football club. They PAY.

conferences-uk.org.uk_conference_image1_big_11645th.jpg

ASDA (a supermarket chain) and IKEA (Swedish people that hate tool kits and carpenters) own stores on the football ground site and during the week they get exclusive rights to the large car park (15+ entrances). Part of the deal was they chip in funding to build the stadiums and they can build their own stores on the site without buying the land. The stadium owns the land but the stores paid a massive chunk towards the construction costs. Rather than relying on cash strapped governments the owners of Stadium MK engaged businesses that would use the site 7 days a week all year round.

Now we have the model. Let's build the f**king stadiums.

Stormwarrior

Juniors
Im not sure why people on here are wanting a new 30k seater stadium. It needs to be at least 40+k stadium (suncorp stadium style).
If or when this stadium does happen it will take 2+ years for the build. so 2017 could be a completion year with the rl world cup and all at the end of the year.
Now the commission and D smith have planned for 20k average by 2017. i think that will be an easy target by then with increased membership and lower ticket prices. I would hope 25k average is very achievable.

Now 20-25k in suncorp isnt that bad because of the way the stadium is designed. It would also be brand new which would increase the crowd numbers anyway. and if i had a choice to spend $20 on a manly or penrith game at their home venues compared to $20 at a brand new stadium..... you could all guess which one i would choose and i wouldn't be the only one. initially the nrl clubs could play there low drawing games at there old home stadium until crowds grow and then use the old stadiums for there training and excellence programs.

A 40-50k stadium is a must and the nrl should do everything in there power to own and manage (in time).

big hit!

Bench

322l7D4.jpg

no farkin way are there that many roosters supporters beyond Maroubra in the south-east.

It's all Souths down there.

docbrown

Coach
There is a solution to this

Yep, that's the kind of long term thinking that should've went into the Stadium Australia development.

no farkin way are there that many roosters supporters beyond Maroubra in the south-east.

It's all Souths down there.

Well given that Souths have more members then the Roosters they should've easily taken those areas so it may be closer than what you might assume. That said, it's just an example to be taken with a big grain of salt. The NRL should be mapping NRL fans to suburbs every year to get the data needed to determine the best locations for centralised stadiums.

For what it's worth, here's some more thoughts on the subject -

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/05/16/my-letter-to-the-nrl-ceo-part-8-sydney-ground-rationalisation/

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It's why you wouldn't upgrade these grounds. The only 1 that really is a run down with no parking is Brookvale. The other 4 areas I am talking about Penrith, Campbelltown and Shark Park are fine. In fact in Penrith There's 20 streets, A shopping Centre, A public park all within 10 min walk to the ground all free parking

But still, at best, thats a few hundred cars, assuming that there is no one else in the area on game day. But the ARLC are aiming for 20,000 a game in 5 years, what do you think they a aiming for in 20 or 30.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That shopping centre shadium thing, that would be awesome.
Of course, still lobby the gov for that new west syndey stadium. but if that was say in liverpool, the eels playing there would be a stretch and the panther playing there would just be dumb. So this would be a great way to build that blacktown stadium for the pathers.

flamin

Juniors
Im not sure why people on here are wanting a new 30k seater stadium. It needs to be at least 40+k stadium (suncorp stadium style).
If or when this stadium does happen it will take 2+ years for the build. so 2017 could be a completion year with the rl world cup and all at the end of the year.
Now the commission and D smith have planned for 20k average by 2017. i think that will be an easy target by then with increased membership and lower ticket prices. I would hope 25k average is very achievable.

Now 20-25k in suncorp isnt that bad because of the way the stadium is designed. It would also be brand new which would increase the crowd numbers anyway. and if i had a choice to spend $20 on a manly or penrith game at their home venues compared to $20 at a brand new stadium..... you could all guess which one i would choose and i wouldn't be the only one. initially the nrl clubs could play there low drawing games at there old home stadium until crowds grow and then use the old stadiums for there training and excellence programs.

A 40-50k stadium is a must and the nrl should do everything in there power to own and manage (in time).

That would be ideal but at the moment the game can't afford to take on such a task alone. By the time the next TV deal rolls around however it could very well be.

franklin2323

Immortal
But still, at best, thats a few hundred cars, assuming that there is no one else in the area on game day. But the ARLC are aiming for 20,000 a game in 5 years, what do you think they a aiming for in 20 or 30.

Yeah there's a station 10mins from the Staduim also. Only renovated 5 years ago. No reason we can't play Tiger/PArra at the new ground the rest at Centrebet for the near future

20-30 years this will be paid off

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz2IZYJ1Rvk

There is plans drawn up to make Centrebet 40k with a roof etc

If we can afford $850m for the academy and stuff we can fund it ourselves

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I was under the impression that big penrith renovation was just one of the proposals for the gov to build (it might be a different article, i cant open it) but if that Gus's proposal i dont remember the panthers ever suggesting they would pay for it. And no sane person would build the one good west sydney stadium in penrith for one team to use, so im just going to say that proposals not likely.

I wouldnt blame penrith for not playing at liverpool, but if they dont commit all their games they wont get the stadium in blacktown for just two games a year and like i said, centrebet as it is just dosent seem viable long term.

and this still doesnt change the fact that a penrith stadium will never get the same away support that a blacktown stadium could get (which is where alot of this crowd growth will come from)

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
They want to make centrebet stadium multi-purpose as well.

They can go and get f**ked.

NrlCoach

Juniors
They want to make centrebet stadium multi-purpose as well.

They can go and get f**ked.
Phil Gould was saying last year that GWS was treat to the Panthers/West and blah blah blah. Then this year Phil gould comes up with plan to make centrebet stadium a current rectangular stadium into multi-purpose "basically an oval" stadium :lol:

flamin

Juniors
So the Bulldogs and Tigers I am sure would at least play 6 games out of this stadium each. Whom else do you see using this stadium?

To be honest, I can't think of any location in Sydney that you would be able to get 3 clubs to play out of other than Homebush.

I agree finding such decent location (besides Homebush) is very difficult especially taking into account current infrastructure.

But what about around Blacktown/Eastern Creek? It's basically on the border of Parra and Penrith's territories and yet can be claimed as heartland by both of them. With the Wanderers on board it'd be getting 35-40 games per season. Parra and the Wanderers have both talked about the need for a new stadium in Sydney's west.
Surely that is more feasible at this stage than using the Tigers and Dogs to play part of their seasons at a Liverpool.

If we start now no reason in 10 years we can't get 40k to atleast 10 games. Every game wont draw that so smaller grounds will still be needed.

I have no doubt that in 10 years suburban grounds will still be a significant part of the NRL in Sydney. But when I said long term, I was thinking about 20 - 30 years down the track.

Of course suburban venues will always be part of the game, but the game is bigger than just the NRL.

Latest posts