What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This new stadium for Sydney better not be multi-purpose

juro

Bench
Souths started with a sub 11k average at ANZ. It could be argued conditioning of their fans has seen their crowds rise when you compare the trends from other clubs and the success of the Rabbitohs.

attachment.php

OPEN IMAGE IN NEW TAB.

Symbol Legend:
* = made the finals
GF = made the Grand Final
WS = wooden spoon

Succes in graphed period:

1st) Bulldogs = 7/13 (54%) Finals appearances; 2GF appearances; 1GF win
2nd) Eels = 6/12 (50%) Finals appearances; 2GF appearances
3rd) Tigers = 3/8 (37.5%) Finals appearances; 1GF appearance; 1GF win
4th) Rabbitohs = 2/7 (28.5%) Finals appearances; 0 GFappearances
Not sure what your graph is trying to prove. You don't have crowds for all the teams you are comparing for each year they have been in the comp. eg for Wests you only have data from 2005 onwards. No wonder their line is going down, when you start with the year they won the comp. If you included 2000-2004, the trend is upwards.

dragons__

Juniors
Not sure what your graph is trying to prove. You don't have crowds for all the teams you are comparing for each year they have been in the comp. eg for Wests you only have data from 2005 onwards. No wonder their line is going down, when you start with the year they won the comp. If you included 2000-2004, the trend is upwards.

I believe he is comparing data for the teams currently playing out of ANZ since they started playing there on a regular basis ie. Tigers from 2005 onwards.

Also, other than their 17,000 odd average crowd in 04, they average around 12,000 in the years 2000 - 2003 at home. So yeah, the line of best fit would be going up a little bit I believe.

aarondoyle

Juniors
I assume someone has suggested to the government the cheapest thing to do would probably be upgrade ANZ and reconfigure to rectangular, with the promise of upgrading the show ground when the Giants crowds warrant it (never).

Swans have SCG; Giants Skoda; Grand Final, state off origin, soccer, union, NRL clubs etc get ANZ and SFS.

Makes sense to me.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The only way i can imagine Leichhardt being saved long term is if the tigers moved there operation there and used it as a home base, training field, ect. If they end up getting a stadium in Liverpool, they could structure it like the dogs and rabbits do with Redfern and Belmore, and maybe play a few games there each year.
The only problem is training at Leichhardt might look too much like they're Balmain again, but its the only way the field will ever get any real investment.

juro

Bench
I believe he is comparing data for the teams currently playing out of ANZ since they started playing there on a regular basis ie. Tigers from 2005 onwards.

Also, other than their 17,000 odd average crowd in 04, they average around 12,000 in the years 2000 - 2003 at home. So yeah, the line of best fit would be going up a little bit I believe.
If that was the case, why did he include the Eels going back to 2001? And wouldn't it have been more useful to just include the averages at ANZ only, rather than include the other grounds the clubs use?

applesauce

Bench
If that was the case, why did he include the Eels going back to 2001? And wouldn't it have been more useful to just include the averages at ANZ only, rather than include the other grounds the clubs use?

This was used for another point in another thread. Souths and the Bulldogs were supposed to be the focal point as it was started from the year they moved to ANZ. Conditioning and community engagement by the clubs is what saw crowds increase not necessarily success (ie Souths).

In regards to the Tigers, the trend should be upwards when you are within a few years from winning a premiership anyway so I don't understand your point. If you crowds trend downwards within 5yrs of GF win something is wrong.

bottle

Coach
I assume someone has suggested to the government the cheapest thing to do would probably be upgrade ANZ and reconfigure to rectangular, with the promise of upgrading the show ground when the Giants crowds warrant it (never).

Swans have SCG; Giants Skoda; Grand Final, state off origin, soccer, union, NRL clubs etc get ANZ and SFS.

Makes sense to me.

You should know better than to go making sense.

However you are right. If they are going to waste money, this is the best option by far.

Saint Doc

Coach

Makes sense to me.

I agree that with all this talk about ideal location- homebush is still the best location for a shared ground.

juro

Bench
This was used for another point in another thread. Souths and the Bulldogs were supposed to be the focal point as it was started from the year they moved to ANZ. Conditioning and community engagement by the clubs is what saw crowds increase not necessarily success (ie Souths).

In regards to the Tigers, the trend should be upwards when you are within a few years from winning a premiership anyway so I don't understand your point. If you crowds trend downwards within 5yrs of GF win something is wrong.
Well, the average for the Tigers has stayed pretty high (much higher than 2000-2004), as can be seen by the pretty small downward slope. But the fact that they failed to even make the finals again until 2010 didn't help them.

Makes sense to me.

The thing is , nothing can be done about the side stands being too far from the action ( from level 2 up)

That's the real issue with ANZ.

Sure you could make the ends come in closer , but the ends are like 20% of the total seating there. And are not used that much for club games.

I agree that with all this talk about ideal location- homebush is still the best location for a shared ground.

Homebush is close to being the best location.

The best location however would be on the main train line. Lidcombe , if you could find the space would be superior to homebush.

bottle

Coach
The thing is , nothing can be done about the side stands being too far from the action ( from level 2 up)

That's the real issue with ANZ.

Sure you could make the ends come in closer , but the ends are like 20% of the total seating there. And are not used that much for club games.
Sure there is.
It's called demolition and rebuild.
If it's good enough for Masterton Homes, it's good enough for the the NRL.

Just a little fantasy thrown out there for people's consumption.

Saint Doc

Coach

The best location however would be on the main train line. Lidcombe , if you could find the space would be superior to homebush.

Yeah but lidcombe isn't as good for cars/parking

They just need way more direct trains on game day to Olympic park

Yeah but lidcombe isn't as good for cars/parking

They just need way more direct trains on game day to Olympic park

Park & ride.

Public transport options are much more important than people that want to drive.

Plus having the stadium close to cafe's/bars/restaurants is an important factor in attracting more people to the footy.

Saint Doc

Coach
Park & ride.

Public transport options are much more important than people that want to drive.

Plus having the stadium close to cafe's/bars/restaurants is an important factor in attracting more people to the footy.

You've obviously never been for dinner and drinks in lidcombe?

It's no paddington...

Dogs Of War

Coach

I would say Flemington, the housing is really starting to go up at the moment, and you could probably buy some of that land being used for the markets currently. Decent train station, which extra platforms could be used for match days, potential to build facilities in the area to provide a night life after the game, and close to main arterial roads.

bottle

Coach
Park & ride.

Homebush is slowly, albeit very slowly, developing a cafe/restaurant/pub culture of sorts as more business activity drifts into the area. I think having a better and more regularly utilised rectangular facility (if it ever came to pass) would facilitate that transition occurring more rapidly, and provide a greater variety. Each would benefit from the other. There is more residential growth in and around the area to justify it now then there was when the whole precinct was first developed.

The train transport into the area works ok. The thing they should be looking to deliver more of is the special bus services that operate for big events like the GF and Easter show (again, this is predicated upon a rectangular stadium scenario). The bus system works a treat, and provides great options for people who don't actually live near to rail transport options.

There are ways to work around these things.

Homebush is slowly, albeit very slowly, developing a cafe/restaurant/pub culture of sorts as more business activity drifts into the area. I think having a better and more regularly utilised rectangular facility (if it ever came to pass) would facilitate that transition occurring more rapidly, and provide a greater variety. Each would benefit from the other. There is more residential growth in and around the area to justify it now then there was when the whole precinct was first developed.

The train transport into the area works ok. The thing they should be looking to deliver more of is the special bus services that operate for big events like the GF and Easter show (again, this is predicated upon a rectangular stadium scenario). The bus system works a treat, and provides great options for people who don't actually live near to rail transport options.

There are ways to work around these things.

All this aside , what we are really shooting for is mostly a club stadium.

ANZ is never going to be good for club games unless you're talking 40k +.

Rugby league would be better served with a 45-50k club ground.

Latest posts