What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thompson for axe

Godz Illa

Coach
I agree Slippery - but the only problem I have with Doust is that, to quote The Godfather, "he is not a war-time Consigliere". He's a fine manager during peace-time when everything's going well, but when the sh*t hits the fan he seems to waver. This Thompson situation should have been sorted more promptly, and he must "go to the mattresses" and take on the NRL over salary cap concessions. Doust prefers to leave the gun and take the canoli. Maybe we need a Sicilian CEO.

Dragons_#1

Bench
thommo was going to have to leave sooner or later it may aswell be now when we have the young forwards that can replace him! imagine him leaving hte club in say 4 years and the dragons not having the depth we do now!
Sorry to say it but i think his times up and he gave the saints fans great memories!

koslecki

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Have either of you the source to back this allegation up?

i can tell you it did happen and was happening for a long time. my sourse is reliable from someone who is at training and was on the bus!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
The thing that concerns me is;

"ST George Illawarra last night took the first legal steps towards sacking forward Lance Thompson by sending the long-serving player a letter asking him to show cause why he should not be dismissed for misconduct."

"Thompson said last night he had not yet received the letter from the club. "

So, Saints let Phil Rothfield know before they let Thommo know?
Hard to say. There was another letter from Doust to Thompson last month which hit the media. When asked, Thompson said he hadn't seen the letter as he was holidaying on the Gold Coast. Understandable although the mystery remains. Once might be a leak, twice looks more like a leak.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
drake said:
Have you ever had a 103kg amatuer boxer sending you threatening texts? Or generally had someone you look up to who could beat the crap out of you give you the message they don't like you?

If so, how was your day? Did you do well at your assigned tasks? Or did you spend most of your day thinking of the fact that someone older, meaner and tougher than you is after you?

And was your day culminating in a preliminary final where the person who had a beef with you was packing the scrum behind you?

We don't know what was sent in the alledged SMS, but if we are going to abuse Poore for being disturbed by it, it goes to reason that it was hreatening or abusive.
I see where you'e coming from.
You're right, we don't know what was sent in the alledged SMS. But to be fair, I don't see anyone in this thread abusing Poore.

However, sledging on the field can get pretty personal too. I can only imagine that when the Tigers play Saints in round 1 of 2006, Poore will be getting asked for his mobile number.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Colonel said:
Have either of you the source to back this allegation up?
No they don't. Blokes like this think internet forums are about everyone taking their word for it. lol
If they're wrong, well no one knows who they are... so they're insulated.
If they're half right, they get bragging rights for a week... some drag it on much longer.
If we remind them of the forum guidelines, they play the free speech card.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
koslecki said:
i can tell you it did happen and was happening for a long time. my sourse is reliable from someone who is at training and was on the bus!
What's his name?

drake

First Grade
Willow said:
I see where you'e coming from.
You're right, we don't know what was sent in the alledged SMS. But to be fair, I don't see anyone in this thread abusing Poore.

However, sledging on the field can get pretty personal too. I can only imagine that when the Tigers play Saints in round 1 of 2006, Poore will be getting asked for his mobile number.
Sledging the opposition is an artform mate; it was about the only aspect of footy I was good at. It's not the personal nature of the sledge that bothers me it's the fact that it was from one Dragon to another.

It just sh*ts me that one of the team's leaders has done it. You don't have to like the people you work with, but you do have to work with them.

Justin Poore better get a thick skin because I can only imagine what he's going to cop from opposition players.

'Abusing' was obviously too strong a word, but redirecting the focus onto Poore's reaction to the alledged incident is avoiding the issue.

Father Ted

First Grade
drake said:
Have you ever had a 103kg amatuer boxer sending you threatening texts? Or generally had someone you look up to who could beat the crap out of you give you the message they don't like you?

If so, how was your day? Did you do well at your assigned tasks? Or did you spend most of your day thinking of the fact that someone older, meaner and tougher than you is after you?

And was your day culminating in a preliminary final where the person who had a beef with you was packing the scrum behind you?

We don't know what was sent in the alledged SMS, but if we are going to abuse Poore for being disturbed by it, it goes to reason that it was hreatening or abusive.

I can tell you in the last couple of years I've had a hell of a lot worse than that happen . Perhaps I can buy a violin and Poor little Justin and I can swap sad stories , But from very personnel experience no one gives a rats so man up boy .

Collateral

Coach
After the incident with Poore I would flat out cut him from his contract. Could not care less where he ends up.

Rexxy

Coach
Slippery Morris said:
Alot of people have bagged Dousty but if you look at his past he has been able to hold onto our juniors. The only players he let go were other teams juniors e.g Riddell, Linc, Firman, etc.

Dude, Macquarie Bank doesn't just employ their own trainees.

The right person for the job is the right person. Regardless of where they are from.

There was a club that had exclusive access to that nursery once before.

And hazard a guess what happened to them?

Rexxy

Coach
RedDragon said:
After the incident with Poore I would flat out cut him from his contract. Could not care less where he ends up.

I agree. Poore should go. Made our club a laughing stock.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
drake said:
Sledging the opposition is an artform mate; it was about the only aspect of footy I was good at.
Do you mean the, "You'll be in reserve grade next week" sledging or the, "I'll be sending around some blokes to disable your missus tonight" sledging?

I've had worst obscene phone calls. I still go to work the next day.

drake said:
It's not the personal nature of the sledge that bothers me it's the fact that it was from one Dragon to another.
Fair enough. The betrayal of trust thing. But in a professinal club, it should be sorted out at a professional level.

This business of 'officials' saying it put Poore off his game just isn't on.

drake said:
It just sh*ts me that one of the team's leaders has done it. You don't have to like the people you work with, but you do have to work with them.
You seem quick to believe the words of unnamed officials.
I'm sure there's another side to the story. These things just don't suddenly appear out of thin air.
drake said:
Justin Poore better get a thick skin because I can only imagine what he's going to cop from opposition players.
I agree but again, we haven't heard anything from Poore on this. I'd like to see the 'officials' back up their comments with their names. maybe then we'll get to the source of the problem.
drake said:
'Abusing' was obviously too strong a word, but redirecting the focus onto Poore's reaction to the alledged incident is avoiding the issue.
No worries mate. :D
But it was the unnamed 'officials' who brought Poore's name into it, not Thompson.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I only have one thing to say to the board:

Make a f*cking decision you poofs !
Your just making individuals & the whole club look dirty

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Couldn't agree more Immortal.

Daithi, we still don't know if Poore said anything to the media. Remember, some nameless officials are being quoted.

The longer this drags on, the worse the club looks.

Father Ted

First Grade
Willow said:
Couldn't agree more Immortal.

Daithi, we still don't know if Poore said anything to the media. Remember, some nameless officials are being quoted.

The longer this drags on, the worse the club looks.

Hate the whole nameless official concept . It's gutless , if you have something to say . Say it ! Because at the moment the club is showing too much public weakness .. My other thought everyone seems to believe Poore and not Thompson . Why is that ? Is one known to be more honest than the other ??

The Dodger

First Grade
drake said:
The most disturbing revelation for me is the alledged SMS to Poore. I can understand having issues with management and the heirarchy, but bagging off a teammate before a preliminary final is f**king stupid and disgusting behaviour.
totally agree with you here drake. not only would that have lowered poore's self esteem, but the fight in the bus would have lowered everyones motivation to play as well. thats just plain bad sportsmanship in my eyes. i'm not surprised the dragons want to give him the boot.

Daithi O'Conaill said:
After this I suggest we dub him The Snitch.
why would he be a snitch for?

he got threatened by someone who is bigger and tougher then him, and not only that, he has to see him on a regular basis (or he did... past tense now)

fair enough if he snitched on him for doing something that didnt involve poore, but if poore was threatened personally, he has a right to make a complaint. if it was me, i would have had a go at him, maybe thats what happened in the bus (no one knows).

Willow

Assistant Moderator
DPG said:
totally agree with you here drake. not only would that have lowered poore's self esteem, but the fight in the bus would have lowered everyones motivation to play as well. thats just plain bad sportsmanship in my eyes. i'm not surprised the dragons want to give him the boot.
Its up to Drake to reply when a 7 post shark's supporter agrees with him.

...and offcourse that's your opinion.

But since when did we conclude that Thompson cost Saints the preliminary final?

Looks like the CWA has suddenly been put in charge of forum gossip.

Did you even watch that game?

Latest posts