What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Nathan Fien

st.phil

Bench
Aside from his 40/20...I thought fien was very ordinary yesterday and only marginally better in previous games. I thought we looked better with dean young there...never thought i'd say that. The search for a hooker continues IMO - the length of his contract worries me.

Our attacking potency was down a long way yesterday - they didnt look to use the ball / off-load early when we had opportunities...the game was lost in the first half - we should have had a min 12 point lead with that amount of ball.

Godz Illa

Coach
Parra targeted Fien big time in the second half. Ran at him almost relentlessly for a period there, for a couple of reasons. 1. He never dominates a tackle and is often carried backwards for a few extra metres. 2. When tired he struggles to think clearly in attack.

He's an important weapon off the bench but we can't afford to play him for extended stints

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
yep i've found fein to be quite ordinary since we've purchased him...

fien has provided some spark, but nothing near what we had mid season..

i'd put head back in over feen, but hey, i'm not 60 with lots of golden premiership bling on my fingers..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
hookers aways give good head service.

er. i mean head always gives good service from hooker.

Goddo

Bench
Damned if we do damned if we dont. Young's passing early was bad, but solid defence. Fien offers crisp passes and speed, but poor defence. Matt Head has been shafted since Fien joined. He is somewhere in between but is redundant since Soward/Hornby combination has been set in stone.

Another one to look at is Sailor vs Nightingale. Sailor offers his size and strength and is a media darling, but gets caught out of possition and makes mistakes. Nightingale offers speed but can't protect Sowie. Maybe Sailor to bench as a sort of second rower/winger.

These two positions have had question marks over them all year.

Dragon_Boy

Juniors
Head played in a few games earlier in the year at dummy half off the bench. I thought his delivery was good - at least his passes were landing on chests whether he passed left or right. But he's no good in terms of darting out of dummy half because of that dodgy knee you just know he's not quick enough to punish lazy markers.

Has anyone ever noticed that Young picked up an old habit that Brownie used to do? He wastes time by not running and not passing - he does a little of both.

He'll move forward a few steps and then pass - I think it confused forwards because they aren't 100% sure he actually will pass. I would prefer him to be more decisive and actually pick runners out. I've seen Smith at the Storm yell at forwards and basically tell them "Hey moron - this one is yours so start running"

In saying all that though my two seasons playing touch football for Toongabbie West Public hardly makes me an expert. :)

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I was excited about the signing of Fien, but having him in the side now I wonder why... He has only had one game where I would say he was genuinely good, he just takes way too many rushed options for his defence to be ignored. I think Head was a much smarter hooker, and whilst slower I think he made our attack flow alot better. I honestly think he needs to go at this point and I'd run with Head or Priddis on the bench, he just doesn't fit in well with the teams makeup at this point, the off-season will do him well.

As for Sailor I'm not sure what's happened, but I've gone right off him as well, he hasn't played well for months, and his best asset (his hard running on the first and 2nd plays) are constantly running sideways or driven backwards... He's been completely ineffective.

I'm not one who likes to call for radical changes, but we need a smarter, quicker attack.

1. Boyd
2. Morris
3. Scott
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Soward
7. Hornby
8. Poore
9. Young
10. Weyman
11. Creagh
12. Prior
13. Jeremy Smith

14. Head/Priddis (depending on who has trained better)
15. Stanley
16. Paea
17. Hunt

Would be my side if I were picking one for Saturday.

Last edited:

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Bennett has it backwards at the moment. Fien should start with Young on the bench.

We have a great forward pack that dominates the opening stages of the match on most occasions. We need better service out of dummy half when Poore and Weyman are at their best. We don't chase well so getting on the board early is important.

Around the 25 minute mark replace Fien with Young. Yong's service is average but he has a strong running game from dummy half and more opportunities will be available later in the half. He also strengthens a tiring defense.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
I'm not one who likes to call for radical changes, but we need a smarter, quicker attack.
Your plan fails to address the most important part of the match when our best players are on the field at their most dangerous. If we start well we will go a long way towards winning.

Neither Priddis or Head are quick or up to first grade anymore.

To be honest Fien is just a scapegoat for Bennetts overly conservative game plan.

I found it strange when he rolled the ball into touch on the fifth tackle around the 50th minute. We had a good set and were around 30 metres out, perfect for an attacking kick. he scoots from dummy half and rolls it out. Wasn't like our boys were tired, they had just had half time.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It looks like the only way Head will get selected is if Fein gets injured.

TheRev

First Grade
In the interviews, Bennett indicated the same 17 would play next week.

I should point out that it was Soward & Heads that were the biggest contributers to the loss, we didn't capitilise on the possession with repeat sets etc.

Nightingale for Sailor I wouldnt mind, its a risk to do it at this stage, but I can handle 1 or 2 small changes.

I think we will play with renewed vigour this week (as its sudden death), problem is the opposition wont be as generous as Parramatta were in terms of giving us the ball back and all the penalties for being so ill-disciplined.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
I found it strange when he rolled the ball into touch on the fifth tackle around the 50th minute. We had a good set and were around 30 metres out, perfect for an attacking kick. he scoots from dummy half and rolls it out. Wasn't like our boys were tired, they had just had half time.

That really p**** me off. He tends to over play his hand in games.

He has an x factor about him if hes on his game.

watatank

Coach
Fien needs to learn he is just another player playing his role within a system, as he does for the Kiwis. He was good when all he needed to do was pass long and quick, kick long when he needed to and the occasional scoot. It's when he tries that bit more; it's when he goes blind side when the whole team is lined up to go open, when he hesitates to pass and either find the lead runner or pass wayward or when he kicks to the sideline for either no reason or against the better judgement of the halves. When he extends his role within the team it's rocks or diamonds

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Your plan fails to address the most important part of the match when our best players are on the field at their most dangerous. If we start well we will go a long way towards winning.

Neither Priddis or Head are quick or up to first grade anymore.

To be honest Fien is just a scapegoat for Bennetts overly conservative game plan.
Personally I disagreed with your first post, and I disagree with this one even more.

Fien on the field at the start of the match isn't the answer for a number of reasons.

dragonszero9

Juniors
I personally think fien is an exellent player with his dummy half runs and good foot speed.

but i would bring paea, head and stanley onto the bench for that extra attacking spark

and nightingale should be starting the game

God-King Dean

Immortal
All he needs to do is stop overplaying things, leave the fancy stuff to our halves, & he'll be right.

We always seem to step up a gear when he's on.