What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston comment ridiculous

_Johnsy

Referee
On the local Townsville news, JT made a comment relating to his future combination with Payne. "There is no reason we cannot be the new Joey & Bedsy"

This is the result of a player having warm wind blown up his ass constantly in a one team town. If he truly thinks he and payne (both very good players) can get anywhere near the combination Johns and Buderas have, he is a clown. Big headed JT me thinks.

Bomber

Bench
Pfff

Johns and Buderus are the old Thurston and Payne ;-)

Seriously though, it does look like Thurston has a bit to learn yet as captain....

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
So you'd completely rule out two extremely talented players who both have 7-8 years left in the game (years that will most likely be spent at the same club) forming a combination similiar to that of Johns/Buderus?

Penance

Juniors
You know what, i personally dont really like the knights or Johns, but i can honestly say, Andrew Johns leaves him for dead..

Johns Magic

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:
So you'd completely rule out two extremely talented players who both have 7-8 years left in the game (years that will most likely be spent at the same club) forming a combination similiar to that of Johns/Buderus?

They might be the next Priddis and Gower, if they're lucky.

Payne in particular has not shown the potential of the top hookers in the game as of yet.

Dogs Of War

Coach
And they are complementing Joey and Bedsy by admitting they are the standard by which others aspire to be. If you want to be the best, you have to look at what the best in the game are doing and replicate that.

I think they are just aiming high. Whether they reach that, who knows. But you can never discount anything as Thurston is only going to get better.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Johns Magic said:

Payne in particular has not shown the potential of the top hookers in the game as of yet.

Silly me, trying to make a reasonable point to a Knights fan. Mullen hasn't shown anything anywhere near Origin level but it doesn't stop you blokes talking him up as the next blues halfback.

Payne is very underrated, would have to be in the top 4-5 hookers in the game on any day and he is yet to reach his peak in FG, Thurston is brilliant and only 24. Yet they can't strike up a combination to rival Johns/Buderus? Foolish comment to make mate.

Canard

Immortal
On the local Townsville news, JT made a comment relating to his future combination with Payne. "There is no reason we cannot be the new Joey & Bedsy"

This is the result of a player having warm wind blown up his ass constantly in a one team town. If he truly thinks he and payne (both very good players) can get anywhere near the combination Johns and Buderas have, he is a clown. Big headed JT me thinks.

My god I didnt realise he said that!!! That is terrible. This is a BLIGHT on Rugby League that will take years to get over.

Two young NRL players aiming to match some of the top players in the game, thats is OUTRAGEOUS.

Whats next!!

For me this is the biggest black eye on the game since Super League.

_Johnsy

Referee
Jay

No problems seeing them aspiring to new heights but, why not say we want to work towards establishing a great combination. The way he said it, it came across as arrogant.

Canard

coming from a cowboys supporter I'll take your reply with a grain of salt, Have you seen footage of the comments ?

keeney

First Grade
ParraDude_Jay said:
Silly me, trying to make a reasonable point to a Knights fan. Mullen hasn't shown anything anywhere near Origin level but it doesn't stop you blokes talking him up as the next blues halfback.

Payne is very underrated, would have to be in the top 4-5 hookers in the game on any day and he is yet to reach his peak in FG, Thurston is brilliant and only 24. Yet they can't strike up a combination to rival Johns/Buderus? Foolish comment to make mate.

Realistically though it is a little of a tall order. Neither Payne nor Thurston have demonstrated they have the potential to be on par when both sets are/were at their peak.

Seems a little conceited is all considering Johns is widely regarded as the best halfback as the modern era and Buderus is oft mentioned amongst the top hookers.

BUT...This whole thread is making mountains out of molehills, its nothing more than Thurston expressing his excitement to be forming a strong combination with the hooker he anticipates to be with him for most of his career. And in doing so references the pair that many recognise to be the pinnacle at present to make a point.

kooriguy

Juniors
i think jt is on par with joey atm but not too sure about payne but i guess buderus hasnt had good form for a couple seasons now so he could be on par with him.. but priddis is a class above both and would be a NSW rep if not for the boys club the team has going.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
_Johnsy said:
On the local This is the result of a player having warm wind blown up his ass constantly in a one team town. If he truly thinks he and payne (both very good players) can get anywhere near the combination Johns and Buderas have, he is a clown. Big headed JT me thinks.

I think you need to go to bed and get some sleep.

Utey

Coach
Johns Magic said:

If I were a Cowboys fan, I'd be happy with that.

Stranger

Coach
Carand is going to take your comments as racism against him Johnsy, watch out :sarcasm:

Thurston whishes he could have a quarter of the talent of Johns. Payne withing the top 4 hookers? Priddis, Bedsey, Ridell, Smith, Farah, Wolford, Wing.
I wouldn't rate Payne higher than any of them IMO.

Johns Magic

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:

"There's no reason we cant become the next Johns and Buderus."

Wow, if i didn't know any better, I'd say Thurston thinks that they are potentially as good as Johns and Buderus...meaning that he thinks that they can become as good as possibly the best half halfback/hooker combination in history.

Hold on a second...that IS what he's saying!

If Jarrod Mullen came and out and said "There's no reason I can't become the greatest rugby league player in the world", I'd think it was a f**ken dumb and arrogant comment as well.

If you have ambitions, good on ya, that's fine, most people do. But you shouldn't be coming out and making egotistical comments like that.

Canard

Immortal
For me they shouldn't aspire to improve

The should be happy being mediocre, and not look to improve at all.

Anything more is being arrogant and concieted.

Azkatro

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
If Jarrod Mullen came and out and said "There's no reason I can't become the greatest rugby league player in the world", I'd think it was a f**ken dumb and arrogant comment as well.
That comment may well sum up why your biggest impact on rugby league is making a comment on a forum while those guys are out there achieving their dreams.