What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston comment ridiculous

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Johns Magic said:
Wow, if i didn't know any better, I'd say Thurston thinks that they are potentially as good as Johns and Buderus...meaning that he thinks that they can become as good as possibly the best half halfback/hooker combination in history.

Pfft.........Johns and Buderus don't have anything on Stuart and Walters

Johns Magic

Referee
Azkatro said:
That comment may well sum up why your biggest impact on rugby league is making a comment on a forum while those guys are out there achieving their dreams.

I never heard a young Andrew Johns come out and say anything about how he thought he could be the best player in the world. Or Darren Lockyer. Or Wally Lewis. Or Shane Webcke.

Are they sitting on a forum? No you f**king idiot.

Johns Magic

Referee
Walt Flanigan said:
Pfft.........Johns and Buderus don't have anything on Stuart and Walters

Whatever mate, I don't really have a strong opinion on it either way and it doesn't really bother me, because I know they are both awesome combinations. Hence why I used the word "possibly".

Danish

Referee
Johns Magic said:
"There's no reason we cant become the next Johns and Buderus."

Wow, if i didn't know any better, I'd say Thurston thinks that they are potentially as good as Johns and Buderus...meaning that he thinks that they can become as good as possibly the best half halfback/hooker combination in history.

Exactly what makes Johns and Buderus the greatest hooker/half combo in history??

One of them being a truly great player doesn't automatically drag the other up to his level.

Johns Magic

Referee
Danish said:
Exactly what makes Johns and Buderus the greatest hooker/half combo in history??

One of them being a truly great player doesn't automatically drag the other up to his level.

If you read my post, you'd see that I never said they are the greatest hooker/half combo in history.

Come on mate, you can do better than that...

tiger_nick

Bench
Nothing wrong with what he said at all. If I was a Cowboys fan I would love that. Tall poppy syndrome here from anyone begrudging Thurston.

P.S Buderus has been very average for the last two years. Also I think the greatest hooker/half combo would have wanted to have won more then one premiership together

Johns Magic

Referee
tiger_nick said:
Nothing wrong with what he said at all. If I was a Cowboys fan I would love that. Tall poppy syndrome here from anyone begrudging Thurston.

P.S Buderus has been very average for the last two years. Also I think the greatest hooker/half combo would have wanted to have won more then one premiership together

Very average yet still manages to get Dally M hooker of the year.

The salary cap makes consistent success very difficult. Being a Tigers fan, you should know that.

Danish

Referee
Johns Magic said:
If you read my post, you'd see that I never said they are the greatest hooker/half combo in history.

Come on mate, you can do better than that...

Johns Magic said:
possibly the best half halfback/hooker combination in history

:-k

The word possibly couldn't make it ok. Afterall, Thurston is saying him and Payne could possibly be as good as Johns and Buderus, to which you seemed to take offence.

brendothejet

First Grade
Thurston is pure class.

Payne is a solid player with plenty left in him.

Johns is pure class.

Buderus is a solid player with plenty left in him.

If the shoe fits....

_Johnsy

Referee
IMO

it was an extremely arrogant statement to make. If anyone honestly JT & Payne have 1/2 a chance as being as good as Johns/Buderus then you are displaying a lack of footy knowledge.

The greatest 1/2 to have ever played the game, and one of the greatest hookers. Payne & Thurston don't even rate a mention.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
_Johnsy said:
The greatest 1/2 to have ever played the game, and one of the greatest hookers. Payne & Thurston don't even rate a mention.

Thurston is only 23, has played Origin for the past 2 years, played for Australia and has played in 2 Grand Finals. This guy still has his whole career ahead of him. Payne is a good solid player and while he hasn't played origin neither did Buderus until he was 24 (Paynes age now).

All these comments do is outline their aspirations. I think it is more a sign of your arrogance that you take offence at them.

_Johnsy

Referee
My arrogance. Its an opinion walt. BIG difference between the two. i have not doubted JT ot Paynes ability. I have stated I cannot see either of them reaching the same level as the two knights. U....N....D....E.....R....S...T....A.....N....D, slow enough for you ?

spider

Coach
god forbid a player having confidence and wanting to aspire.

have a tanty over a few words - lol

kooriguy

Juniors
well my opinion on the two afore mentioned hookers are that they are both average nothing special just solid all round players and there two magnificent halves make them look better then they actually are.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
_Johnsy said:
My arrogance. Its an opinion walt. BIG difference between the two.

Oh I forgot, arrogance doesn't apply to opinions. :roll:

Do you ever think before you speak?..........seriously.

badav

Bench
_Johnsy said:
IMO

it was an extremely arrogant statement to make. If anyone honestly JT & Payne have 1/2 a chance as being as good as Johns/Buderus then you are displaying a lack of footy knowledge.

The fact that you're getting so riled up about JT's comments just proves how much of a whinger you are. Just like the real johnsy.

It takes a special (special in a bad way) individual to see these comments as arrogant. To aspire to be the next great is quite normal champ.