What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston comment ridiculous

Shorty

Staff member
SpiderShark said:
god forbid a player having confidence and wanting to aspire.

have a tanty over a few words - lol
Agreed:lol::roll:
I mean,it appears to me Thurston is aspiring to be like one of the greats...it's a compliment how the hell somebody can get in a huffy about that is beyond me,dry your eyes!

miccle

Bench
_Johnsy said:
The greatest 1/2 to have ever played the game,

In. Your. Opinion.

For every person who says this comment, I also read someone's thoughts on the matter and they nominate everyone from Sterling and Mortimer through to Langer. It's all opinion-based when it comes down to comparisons like that one.

Hell yes, Joey is (at least) in the top three halfbacks ever to have played the game (from those I've seen myself, he's alongside Mortimer and Sterlo) and yes, Thursto may well never reach the heights of Joey in his career.

But he's young and could well get every opportunity in his career, as he might not get struck down with injury nearly as much as Joey has.

I guess I can see how you'd find it arrogant, but I'm sure that's not how it was implied. It was confident and hopeful words from a young bloke who is establishing himself in the game, has won a premiership, origin series and played for his country. Good on him, and while I hate the Cowboys - I personally wish him and Payne every success.

Canard

Immortal
miccle said:
In. Your. Opinion.

For every person who says this comment, I also read someone's thoughts on the matter and they nominate everyone from Sterling and Mortimer through to Langer. It's all opinion-based when it comes down to comparisons like that one.

Hell yes, Joey is (at least) in the top three halfbacks ever to have played the game (from those I've seen myself, he's alongside Mortimer and Sterlo) and yes, Thursto may well never reach the heights of Joey in his career.

But he's young and could well get every opportunity in his career, as he might not get struck down with injury nearly as much as Joey has.

I guess I can see how you'd find it arrogant, but I'm sure that's not how it was implied. It was confident and hopeful words from a young bloke who is establishing himself in the game, has won a premiership, origin series and played for his country. Good on him, and while I hate the Cowboys - I personally wish him and Payne every success.

I was with you for everyword.

You lost me at the end though...;-)

miccle

Bench
Hey, c'mon you must like the end part. For so long the Cows were liked by many down our way because they were "our little brothers" who were struggling. I couldn't really hate you guys because you were never a threat!!

Take the hate as a sign of respect. It's part hatred, part fear and mostly a bit of rivalry.

The ditching of your side as a second team for most Broncos fans simply started after your boys beat us in THAT semi-final. Relish it, for it marks the time that the Cowboys truly emerged as a power in our comp.

Canard

Immortal
Agreed to be hated is not such a bad thing.

About time Broncos v Cowboys becomes a match the Brisbane fans look forward to every year also, its always been like the "Fourth" Origin when played in Townsville for Cowboys fans.

Unfortunealty a lot(not all) of Cowboys fans (including myself) support the Broncos as our second team.

Will have to ditch them now though....;-)

RABK

Referee
What a farce of a thread. A player expresses self belief and he's arrogant? What a load of sh*t.

Personally i don't think they can ever surpass Johns or Buderus as individual players but as a combination they could quite possibly forge a greater career together.

Canard

Immortal
Finally a reasonable Knights fan, who isnt frothing at the mouth about some percieved "slight" against Andrew Johns.;-)

RABK

Referee
I would not find it a 'slight' at all.

I would see it as a compliment - the fact that any league fan with half a brain could not rate a player the calibre of Thurston near Johns' level.

Canard

Immortal
I would not find it a 'slight' at all.

I would see it as a compliment - the fact that any league fan with half a brain could not rate a player the calibre of Thurston near Johns' level.

However certainly nothing wrong with aspiring to be the best (or at least match the best).

As said its more of a compliment than anything.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
Dogs Of War said:
And they are complementing Joey and Bedsy by admitting they are the standard by which others aspire to be. If you want to be the best, you have to look at what the best in the game are doing and replicate that.

I think they are just aiming high. Whether they reach that, who knows. But you can never discount anything as Thurston is only going to get better.

Yeah, what he said!

Both are class acts and are ONLY going to get better! Thurston's comments were perhaps a touch naive - but ridiculous? Not by a long shot!

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
Canard said:
Unfortunealty a lot(not all) of Cowboys fans (including myself) support the Broncos as our second team.

Will have to ditch them now though....;-)

:shock:

You mean you haven't already???

Come on man, what are you waiting for - come join us over here in Bronco-ball-busting town - the water's fine! :p

Tigertread

Juniors
This is what Thurston actually said "he hoped Payne and himself could work up a combination to rival that of Newcastle pair Johns and Buderus".
Now I don't find that statement aggorant.

Buckshot

Juniors
Jeesus how touchy are Andrew Johns groupies?

I think the comment from Thurston showed how much respect he has for Johns and Buderus,that they set the standard to aspire to.

JJ

Immortal
Hmmmmmm

I think Johns and Buderus have combined for 1 premiership from 1 grand final... at club level that hardly puts them among the great combinations...

Obviously they are both wonderful players though - and individually neother Thurston nor Payne are worthy of any serious comparison - but I'm sure the COwboys would hope that as a partnership they have more success...

Mr Saab

Referee
Coluld be worse.
Thurston could have come out and said he and payne could be the next craig field/darren senter (or ciraco mescia).

innsaneink

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Coluld be worse.
Thurston could have come out and said he and payne could be the next craig field/darren senter (or ciraco mescia).

Shows your ignorance chuck, cherry was a great player...shouldve repped.

tiger_nick

Bench
Mr Saab said:
Coluld be worse.
Thurston could have come out and said he and payne could be the next craig field/darren senter

Maybe they should aspire to give away as many penalties as those two did….

innsaneink

Referee
Johnny Nitro and The Vipers said:
He was a cranky little bugger, full of intensity.

Is he still the Jersey Flegg coach for the Maggies?

Strength and conditioning for Wests Tigers, I think Magpies flegg is now coached by Leo Epifania.