What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticket Sales for the Four Nations

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Anyone got any updates?? I have heard they have only opened up half of the Halliwell Jones Stadium for the Kangaroos vs Kiwis match??

langpark

First Grade
England v Wales is being talked up on rlfags as a near sellout. But lets be honest, it holds only 10,000 and if they can't fill it with England playing there then we will never see that stadium full....

Roy80

Juniors
could it be that people are getting bored of a yearly 4 nations? give me a kangaroo tour with an ashes series please

roughyedspud

Coach
Just highlights the poor crowds for this great sport in England.

here we have another one.......

2010 4 nations - australia v PNG att 11,308 (though its generally excepted that only half that number bothered turning up)

now be quiet about attendances cos the difference in average attendances for international comps whether they are held up here or down there is'nt something to brag about..its a couple of thousand at best

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Referring to nothing else then poor pre-sales for this years event.

here we have another one.......

2010 4 nations - australia v PNG att 11,308 (though its generally excepted that only half that number bothered turning up)

now be quiet about attendances cos the difference in average attendances for international comps whether they are held up here or down there is'nt something to brag about..its a couple of thousand at best

The 6000 he's mentioning is from when the 4N was held in Aus...

The lowest crowd for the 2010 four nations was 11,308, the NZ vs PNG game was held in New Zealand at Rotorua and that was watched by 11,500 fans.

Source: http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/competitions/Four_Nations_2010/summary.html

This source states 6,000 though: http://www.nospam18.com/RLP/Trinations/2010fournations.htm

But again, was not held in Australia.

As for Spud, where did I limit my response to only international RL matches in England? I believe I said English Rugby League crowds.

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
compared to what? the NRL? completely different level pal.....and you don't have premier league football to contend with.....

in fact given the profile of RL in australia the NRL average of 17k looks small...especially compared to AFL

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Geez, this bloke goes on the defensive quickly.

compared to what? the NRL? completely different level pal

Compared to where it should be.

.....and you don't have premier league football to contend with.....

Not sure what this has to do with anything.

But here we compete with the other three major football codes, plus our national sport of cricket.

Again, this has nothing to do with it.

in fact given the profile of RL in australia the NRL average of 17k looks small...especially compared to AFL

I'm not sure what you would know about the AFL or the sporting culture of Australia, however I do as a big fan of Cricket, Rugby League, Australian Football, Soccer and Rugby Union.

This also has nothing to do with where international Rugby League pre-sales tickets should be at.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Why are people arguing about the crowds when the games haven't been played yet?

As far as I know, the RFL have only just started advertising on TV over there and we are still a few weeks out from the bigger games.

And really, how many people do you expect to turn up to games not involving the host nation? I seem to remember the poms doing ok in the last few tournaments where the Aus v Kiwi games are concerned, what makes anyone think it'll be different this time?

Leave the bs about crowds out of it until the damn games have been played.

The only problems I've seen from all the 4 nations tournaments so far have been the fact PNG didn't host any games last time and the French decided to play Australia in Paris instead of one of the places where the game is followed like Carcassonne/Avignon/Perpignan or whatever.

roughyedspud

Coach
Geez, this bloke goes on the defensive quickly.

Compared to where it should be.

where should it be?

we probably rank 3rd being football and slighly behind union in terms of average attendance...exactly where is should be give its a predominantly northern sport....and in the north we'd be 2nd being football.......exactly where we should be

I'm not sure what you would know about the sporting culture of england, however I do as a big fan of most of the sports in this country......forget football its way out in front.....but we're battling union....our average its 10k theres 13k....that gap was closer until we added the celtic crusaders with diminished our overall average....

This also has nothing to do with where international Rugby League pre-sales tickets should be at.

where should they be?

Last edited:

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
And really, how many people do you expect to turn up to games not involving the host nation? I seem to remember the poms doing ok in the last few tournaments where the Aus v Kiwi games are concerned, what makes anyone think it'll be different this time?

Just on this,

Last time England v New Zealand in Australia, crowd: 26,659. RLWC semi.

Last time it wasn't a semi, crowd: 15,145

Last time Australia v New Zealand in England, crowd: 12,360.

Not arguing anything with these figures, just putting them out there.

where should it be?

where should they be?

Higher then they are, how much higher?

Well, The double header should of sold about 5-10k more to be honest, but as this game comes closer and with more advertisement it should do ok.

As for the Aus v NZ, with only one week to go until this match starts, only around 7,000 tickets are sold. This game should of been advertised hard, anything under 12,000 in that stadium is a bit of a joke.

I'm not sure what you would know about the sporting culture of england, however I do as a big fan of most of the sports in this country......forget football its way out in front.....but we're battling union....our average its 10k theres 13k....that gap was closer until we added the celtic crusaders with diminished our overall average....

I never claimed to know about the sporting culture in England, nor did i make a comment regarding one sport attendance figures compared to another.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
English figures are more impressive seeing as the Aussie ones were for a RLWC and the poms for a 4 nations imo.

Plus the fact that RL has a massive profile out here.